close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Silencers...justifying their cost

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by rimshaker, Jul 24, 2012.

1. rimshaker

rimshaker

Feb 16, 2012
    Been having 2nd thoughts about getting one for my G19 and G21sf.

Overall cost for obtaining a suppressor runs between $1500-2000 easily. That includes everything from establishing a gun trust down to accessories like thread protectors. Not to mention stocking subsonic ammo. This cost can easily buy 4-5 guns instead. Or boatloads of ammo.

Which would you all rather have? Thanks for any opinions or insights.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  2. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    I'd like a suppressor however I would rather have 4 or 5 guns or lots of ammo. The regs set forth by the BATF are ridiculous IMO.

3. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Jan 26, 2012
    Kettering, OH
    I would get a 9mm and then have a barrel for each 9mm I owned to use the can on. That's how I would justify its cost - spread across 4-5 pistols.

4. high ground

high ground

Dec 23, 2002
    VA
    Don't buy a gold suppressor. Just kidding. I don't know where you got your prices from, but I think I'm into it for less than $800. That's trust, suppressor, and tax stamp.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I am checking into suppressors. I'm budgeting $1000 or a little more. Go with .45 and you can use the same ammo as it's all subsonic anyway. I'm trying to decide which .45 to go with. Leaning toward either a Glock 21 (meh) or better yet a USP Tactical.

I cannot "justify" the cost. It would just be a fun thing.

6. SchHrdKncks

SchHrdKncks

Oct 7, 2006
    Indiana
    Just bought a sig mosquito with a threaded barrel and suppressor for $575 and a 9mm suppressor for $595 plus the $200 dollar tax stamp on each so they are not as expensive as you think. The threaded glock barrel was $139. I put in my paperwork on Jan 29 and just got my tax stamps back on July 23.

7. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    I can't justify the cost. And yet, I have three of them.

8. aujrb

aujrb

Jun 23, 2009
    East Alabama
    You can get an Osprey in .45, and then adapt it for 9mm & .40.

One can...3 calibers.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. TrueGunNut

TrueGunNut

Apr 28, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Get the silencerco osprey 45. That way you can run it on both the g19 and g21. I like the 45 the best for suppressed fire. I don't have to go "out of my way" to stock up on 147 grain 9mm --- not that it is hard to find.

They are expensive, a conversation piece, never know when you might need to shoot quiet. I still want to go deer/hog hunting with my suppressed hk45c...

10. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    I probably should have done that. Instead I got the Osprey9 for my G17. Then I bought a G21SF after that.

11. rimshaker

rimshaker

Feb 16, 2012
    Was set on getting the AAC Ti-rant 45 since it works on both G19 and G21.

Here's the approximate cost breakdown:

Ti-rant 45 ~ $800
    9mm adapter $75
    2 threaded barrels $370
    2 thread protectors $50
    Gun trust $350
    Stamp tax $200
    FFL xfer fee ~ $30-80

That's in the $1500-2000 ballpark, even if i chose to suppress just one gun.

12. CanMan

CanMan Silver Member

Jun 15, 2012
    in flagrante

Me too! All .22 LR. Next one will be for a .223 bolt....probably will just get a .30 cal can and have it do double duty.

13. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    Suppressor's just don't look right on glocks.

They look bad ass on the Beretta & AR15 though. If I was to get one those are what i would buy for.

14. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    +1
    It seems like an expensive novelty.
    I've thought about it and came to the same conclusion.
    Rather get more guns.

15. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    Just to be clear for those that don't know, the cost of the Trust is a one time fee.

One trust, lots of registered toys in it.

:supergrin:

16. [​IMG]

AAC Eco-9 $450

LWD threaded barrel $125

Stamp $200

Whacking a critter that was in the trash in the carport with a double tap, while the wife and kid were in the room adjoining it and they thought I "dropped something" (well, I did really :rofl:).... priceless. :supergrin:

I shot a critter that was just outside the carport the year before with one round of .22 from my Mosquito with no earplugs and couldnt hear above the ringing and crickets in my ears for three to four days afterwards. Two rounds of 147 grain 9mm Ranger T's from essentially the same position, with no trouble at all.

This past weekend, I shot a critter in the garden from the floor of the carport with my M15A4(T) with its AAC M4-2000, again, no ear plugs, and again, no loss of hearing, not even a little extra "ring" or "crickets". A .223 still makes a little it of noise as it flies though. It also doesnt blow them up like the .17 does either, but it is quieter. :)

17. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    The C.L.E.O sign off is the hardest part in the world of NFA.
    (Chief L/E officer sign off)

Myth: Many in L/E feel if they sign your Form 1, 3, or 4, they are some how "responsible" if you do something stupid and get arrested. NOT TRUE.

The Trust eliminates the need for the signature, fingerprints and pics.

I had a sherrif here tell me the same thing. I told him,"so if I get in my truck, cause a accident, I have would have nothing to fear, because my insurance agent, would be held responsible for all damages?

He quickly tells me, if I am driving, I would be held responsible for any and all accidents I am at fault for.

He still refused to sign my Form 1.

Trust all the way!!!

:cool:

18. TeeJay37

TeeJay37

Jun 4, 2012
    Okay, so how difficult would it be to get a trust? Also, would you be able to add people to the trust? So, let's say, your spouse wants to take care of a pest, can he/she legally use it?