close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sikh temple founder/builder started with $35

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by razageorge, Aug 7, 2012.

1. razageorge

razageorge

A tragedy in the shootings for sure but to digress a little, he came to America in 1982 with $35 in his pocket and was able to build an American dream?

He worked at a gas station for minimum wage which is barely enough to cover food and rent at the end of the month yet he was able to buy properties and rent them out.

How does one do that? I know people who can barely afford gas money on a minimum wage job yet he was able to afford the logistics of purchasing properties?

I knew some Sikhs that worked at a 7-11 back in the day and even went out to the shooting range with them, they hated every minute of working there because they said all there money went to just be able to afford to live in the U.S.
    (one dude was so pissed he said he wanted to blow up the store but would tell us first so we wouldn't be there!)

2. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I worked my ass off in a kitchen in high school for minimum wage years ago, I did good buying gas and feeding myself. Story's like you mention are hard for me to beleive.

3. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Also for the record I'm not trying to seem or come across as a A hole but I've know many hard working Americans that's have busted their ass that have made an honest decent living better than some and never achieved such things.

4. silentpoet

silentpoet

He didn't build that.

5. silentpoet

silentpoet

As for the property buying, find the right deal and you can arrange financing. Has to be enough below market value though. Lots of hard work and lots of looking before you find the right deal. A rough rule of thumb I have seen is that the good investors maybe look at 50 or maybe it is 100 properties for every one they buy. Don't know how true that is, but sounds about right. Once you find the right deal you have to line up the financing.

But aside from all that people can work hard and start from nothing to build great things in this country. No matter what that ******* in the whitehouse says. I've got a cousin who went from nothing say 18 years ago to last year increasing his net worth 1 million( according to him, I didn't ask to see his financial data). He owns a very successful construction business.

6. razageorge

razageorge

Hard work pays off but the reality is that working for minimum wage at a gas station hardly ever gives you enough money to buy a car less likely properties!

Came here in 1982, probably as an illegal so it would take him some time to get his SSN and build a solid credit foundation for a bank to loan him the money.

Quote from news agency:

Satwant eventually started buying and renting property, using the money to build his dream. Eventually, he built a temple for the nearly 400 families in the local Sikh community.

Anybody know anyone, from another country, who worked minimum wage jobs and became successful?

That is what I'm trying to figure out, not so much on this guy but how he was able to pull it off. Saying "hard work" makes it too easy of an answer.

7. Breadman03

Breadman03

It happens all the time, but not often on such a grand scale. I know of two pizza shops where the owners immigrated from Italy, worked their butts off, and made their fortunes. Some may argue that owning a business isn't working for minimum wage, and I agree. Very few business owners make that much until the business is a year old.

8. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

I think I know how he may have done some of it. He "made do with less."

It can be done. I have a friend who put himself through nursing school working in a convenience store. He made it without what a lot of folks consider necessities.

Most folks have a problem with patience...waiting for something until they can afford it. They want it NOW! He learned to wait.

I am still trying to learn that lesson, but I'm getting better at it.

9. rick458

rick458 USS Texas BB-35

Often, Indians and Pakistanis will live many to a single apt to share cost with multiple jobs. Multi generation residing is fairly commonplace, in both cultures (E.G. Grand parents, Parents, husband and Wife, and their children).
    It really helps split cost and build earning power.

10. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

I did it on a relatively low income; started in 1982 too.

The first property I purchased I had trouble getting a loan but finally found a bank that took a chance on me giving me a callable adjustable interest loan.

Sometimes I skipped meals but I made the payment always on time.

These new arrivals are not superior to us but unlike us have experienced real deprivation in their hell hole home country with no safety net so when they move here, they continue to live lean and amass a fortune.

11. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

"Multi generation residing is fairly commonplace"

Multi-families with multi-generations, too.

Sharing a car, sharing child care at home, sharing everything and pooling their money to buy a business and then a place to live.

Cooperation.

None of this "Me, me, me stuff."

"Came here in 1982, probably as an illegal"

Do you have evidence of this or are you just insulting the guy for the heck of it? Do you regularly insult your family and friends?