close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sign of the times and situational awareness.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jack23, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

A few days ago I went to our local WalMart store here in Deer Park. A guy in a pair of cut-off jeans and a filthy Houston Texans T-shirt approached me and asked me to give him a ride up the street and any money I could spare. He kept casually pointing at a huge bandage on his right leg. I politely declined and wished him good luck.

This has happened to me before but not so often. And the guy the other day got a little pushy with me. I repeated my wish for his good luck and got in my truck and left.

Today I was back at that same WalMart and another person, a guy in a wheelchair approached me. I guess he saw "no" in my facial expression and rudely dismissed me. I never got to find out what he was going to ask me for.

Then I went to the Kroger in Pasadena at Spencer and Red Bluff. Tagged again. This guy got my attention real quick. The first thing out of his mouth was I'm not robbin' ya and I ain't a crook or a bum. As inconspicuously as I possibly could I reflexively moved my right hand into position for threat response and assumed a defensive posture. The guy continued telling me he was a preacher and needed to get home to his sick granddaughter. He unfolded a very elaborate story and I finally had to tell him, when I could get a word in, that my ice cream was melting and I had to go. He was still talking when I closed my truck door and drove off.

I don't usually give money to beggars and I NEVER let a stranger inside my vehicle. I really hate it that some people really are in a desperate situation and have to resort to begging. There but for the grace of God go I. But con artists are everywhere. Most of them are not violent but I don't consider myself clever enough to tell who's who.

I would also like to remind y'all to BE CAREFUL IN PUBLIC PARKING LOTS. The guy at Kroger slipped up behind me without me knowing. I had my hearing aids on but they aren't perfect. I was distracted for the moment because I was having the feeling I had forgotten something. It is a fact of life that all those that approach you in parking lots are not planning to ASK you for anything. This happens every day and every night.

I hope all of y'all will try to be aware of your surroundings in parking lot situations. Your awareness is your very best weapon against being the victim of a crime. You can be covered with guns and knives and have a can of pepper spray in one hand and a stun gun in the other but if you don't see it coming you will be the victim.

This is a thing I try to keep in mind EVERY time I go out. But like today I sometimes forget. Well my new preacher friend gave me a wake up call today. They may get me eventually but it won't be for a couple of days at least till I've had time to forget the lesson.

Y'all be careful

2. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Unless its obvious I'm being scammed I usually give em a few bucks. I figure its better to get scammed a dozen times for meaningless money and help one legit case than to help no one.

3. Kozel

Kozel

You are being scammed every time but it is still not obvious to you.

4. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

Don't take the time to "politely" wish them well or "politely" tell them about your ice cream. When you take the time to respond in ANY manner, the panhandler goes from "general sob story" mode to "target aquired" mode and gets much more aggressive.

5. 427

You claim to be against social security and all other entitlements and complain about it loudly, yet you freely give more money out of your own pocket to people who are probably, more than likely on the .gov dole.:dunno:

6. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

but i get why. charity is freely given.

7. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I almost never get hit on for requests, except at a few select exit ramps where the dude has the sign saying he needs money for martial arts lessons because ninjas stole his family (completely true, dude is hanging out near Yankee Stadium).

Maybe there is a big "**** NO" written all over me, which projects from a distance.

8. Willard

Willard Who, me?

There's a HUGE difference between CHOOSING to give to someone, or having the .gov forcibly take it from you to "redistribute"!

9. PawDog

PawDog NRA Member

Happened to me several times over the past few years. Beggers never see a dime from me. Last time a guy approached me while I was gassing my truck, as he started his sob story, I started reading his tat's, and asked how long he'd been "on the streets." He responded by mumbling, "never mind," before he walked away.

10. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Photo next time...

11. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

At least Robin Hood stood out in the path where the victims could shoot back instead of sending the IRS.

I seldom respond to those people but if my BS detector stays quiet I will make an exception. I like to think I can tell a professional beggar from a true distressed person.

12. 427

One can freely choose to enable/subsidize these people's lifestyle and keep the cycle going. It's all good.

13. dabigguns357

dabigguns357

I tell them everything i have went to the groceries i'm going to buy or went to the ones i have already bought and what i have left is on a credit card.

Thanks but no thanks.If they ask 200 people a day and only get 50% of what they ask for it's still $100.00 a day free and clear,which is great money.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  14. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Dude! "freely" is the clue there. I hope you see the difference.

15. Gallium

Gallium CLM

:rofl:

My wife was riding shotgun, I kept urging her to take a damn pic, but she refuses to make eye contact with peddlers lest she give them a $10.

16. 427

One can freely choose to enable/subsidize these people's lifestyle and keep the cycle going. It's all good.

17. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

I stop them before they get their first sentence out and tell them I am not interested. Sometimes a stern look and "NO" is all that they need.

18. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I tend to listen at least for a few seconds.

Several years ago at a Braum's (burgers/ice cream etc.) a lady walked up to me and said something like, "sir I'm asking for my kids not me my boys are hungry". Before I could respond she read my face and said, something like, "Ok I'm sorry to have bothered you". I said, "what do you mean your boys are hungry"?

Long story short she and her two little boys were driving from California to outside Mobile. and her water pump had let go. After fixing the water pump she had $26 bucks cash no credit cards etc. and a 1/2 tank of gas. I saw the water pump receipt. Her story was legit and by my calculations she would have fumed it into about Minden LA. and run out of gas. And her boys would not have eaten in nearly three days.

I calculated estimated gas mileage and some food for them and I gave her $100, fed her and her boys, she didn't want to eat but I insisted. I was leaving as they ordered food and she began to cry - I'm talking real streaming tears - and she told me she'd pay me back. I remember felling great for helping but knowing the money was never coming back.

I must have given her a card because about a month later she sent me a check for $115.38. I sent it back asking her to use the money or give it to her favorite church or charity.

All I am saying is sometimes people asking for help are not FOS.

19. skinny99

skinny99 Crew Chief

I am out on giving money to a beggar. I just don't believe them. I do pay very close attention in parking lots now. Always carrying. The pill and crack heads are rapidly multiplying around here.

20. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

I'll give food, not money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.