Sights on G20 for Deer and Hogs

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by johncalloway, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Hi,

I recommend Ameriglo classic night sights. You can get the front with a slimmer width in a variety of heights. The height flexibility would allow you to do a custom sight setup that you could be within +/- 3" vertically within 100 yards, etc.

Good Luck,

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

My new favorite is the Ameriglo I-Dot sights. It has great sight picture, the front sight is just right for me, not so wide that everything is congested (like Glock brand sights), but not so thin that you have to work to get it centered up. Great sight picture and gives a nice two-dot night sight setup for low-light situations. Even better is that they're $60 at CTD.

#22 SDGlock23, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  3. So are y'all recommending slimmer or a fatter front sight for precise shots?
  4. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

Slimmer, no question.
  5. For me, slimmer works better for precise shots.
  6. You just need something to reference. A wide sight with a small dot can work, or even a plain black wide sight can work with the right target. It is hard shooting a shotgun hull at a distance with a fat sight, but it can be hard to see a super fine sight at all in some conditions(think steel Colt single action sights). Everything will be a compromise to some extent somewhere. Realistically, practice with whatever you have is probably more important than whatever you end up with.
  7. I have racked my brain through hundreds of sights trying to figure out what I need. I want something I can take bullseye accurate shots at 25 yards, and something I can see in no light if a big hog gets after me walking out of the stand. I will have a flashlight, but probably won't be able to see my sights unless they are tritium night sights. But don't feel like tritium sights are precise enough.
  8. Based on everything that you are looking for, you sound like how I was. I would say, .100 front sight, TFO type, so that you have the tritium and the FO. Plain black rear sight. That will probably be the best compromise.

9. How am I going to know what will match up?
  10. I went to the web sites, and first off, I don't see that you can get the front TFO sight by itself, which I find odd. What I would say to do is you could call Lone Wolf and ask them to let you know what black rear sight would match up with the TFO sights, you may have to buy the set of TFOs. I don't remember where I got mine at, I have a green TFO front sight and a black serrated rear sight. These work great for shooting USPSA and IDPA as well as anything else I want to do. I will say that if you are looking for quick acquisition in the dark, the rear won't let that happen. It is very hard to see the rear sight quickly in the dark, as you may well imagine.

Also, the front sight with the TFO set, may line up with the factory rear sight, I was looking at mine, seems to be a very close match.
  11. dm1906

dm1906 Retired SO

If you stumble upon a hog (or vice versa) in the dark, it WILL be: Draw; Point; Shoot. There will be no "aim". You won't see your sights. You won't hear the shot. If your rounds are filled with Blue Dot, you WILL get a snapshot of about a 25 yd diameter. Think muzzle flash is bad? You are mistaken. A large muzzle flash will be your only chance at a follow up shot if you are being run down. The flash will allow you to see where your bullet travels, and where the target is. Your flashlight will have already screwed your night vision more than the flash will. You'll be amazed what practice coupled with adrenaline will do for you. The adrenaline will dilate your pupils and elevate your senses. If you aren't scared, with the adrenaline pumping, then you're poaching, in most states (after dark).

Practice Point-Shoot, often. Live it. Learn it. It's the only method that will save your bacon in the dark (except for dumb-luck). Your sights won't matter, one bit. Not the slightest bit. Night sights are ONLY effective against a lighted target, if you have time to aim. A flashlight is only effective until you draw, or begin to draw. At night, it ain't gonna happen in the sticks.

That said, I like the TFO's, and use them.
  12. I was thinking along the lines of dm. The odds of getting an aimed shot on a small dark object racing toward you in the dark are slim. Just put the sights you want on it for the daytime and know a shot in the dark is, well, a shot in the dark...:)
  13. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

Slimmer for sure. Too slim can present and issue to IMHO. I had a fiber optic setup where my rear sight notch was .180" wide and my front fiber optic post was .115" wide...that's too thin IMHO as it was really too roomy. If I had a good way of taking a picture of my I-dots I would. The front sight is slim enough to be precise too.