close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sights - New to competitive shooting

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by PettyOfficer, Aug 24, 2012.

1. PettyOfficer

PettyOfficer
    Expand Collapse

I have a G30 for SD, but last night I bought a G17 for competitive purposes.

I want to keep it as stock as possible for GSSF and if I get good enough I'll buy another for advanced options.

So with that, I know I can change my sights, just no Ghost Rings.

I'm looking for advice on sights, don't need night sights as this will be a range gun only.

So, I ask all you Quick Draw McGraw's what sights you would suggest a newb to invest in?

As well, are there trigger weight requirements in other leagues? What Glock factory trigger would you recommend? Again, I want to be GSSF legal.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. ron59

ron59
    Expand Collapse
    Bustin Caps

Warren Sevigny competition sights are pretty popular. Myself and my 3 shooting buddies all use them. I run the all black sights, they run a fiber optic front.

For GSSF... the only thing trigger-wise you can change is to the '-' connector, unless you want to spend $225 or whatever for a Vanek trigger kit.

For USPSA, I run a Ghost Rocket kit with springs. Around 3 pounds or just under.

3. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr
    Expand Collapse
    1. Christian Studies

It took me 10 IDPA practice classifiers to achieve "Marksman". During that time I put aside my G27 and bought a G17, changing nothing but a "-" connector &NY1 trigger.

My advice is approach it slowly, see what the others are using, and pretty much keep it stock. Eventually you'll know for yourself what you need .

4. waktasz

waktasz
    Expand Collapse
    Gamer Scumbag

I like the Dawson adjustable rear with a narrow black front. Either .100 or .090.

I don't like the Sevigny sights...the front post too big...but that's just me. Try as many as you can before you buy them.

5. Spiffums

Spiffums
    Expand Collapse
    I.C.P.

^^^ This is my next rear sight. I figure I can adjust the gun to me easier than I can adjust to the gun.

6. Mike Bell

Mike Bell
    Expand Collapse

I have the Sevigny sights on my G35, with a plain black .115 wide .245 tall front. I just got a fiber optic today to try out and see if I can speed up my shooting. I'll put it on ASAP and start wasting ammo:crying:

#6 Mike Bell, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  7. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis
    Expand Collapse
    Scottish Member

For me, Dawson Precision - FO front, adjustable black rear. The rear sight was a FO. I found that the FOs didn't quite line up with the "tops" of the sights. In IDPA, I found that (subconsciously) sometimes I'd line up the FOs, and sometimes I lined up the "tops". This lead to inconsistency at >18 yards. I filled in the rear FOs with epoxy and painted the rear of the sight flat black.

Sights are a very personal thing. Age and eyesight can be a factor as well. It is difficult to try someone else's gun for a few rounds to see how well a particular set-up is going to work for you; as it may take a little time to acclimate to a particular set-up so that you aim/shoot quickly. In general, a wider rear notch / narrower front post may allow you to pick up the sight faster - but may come at the expense of more precise alignment for longer shots.

I'm 54 and eyes have changed over the last 3 years or so. This has lead me to make some adjustments in sights and corrective lenses. I missed SSP master by 2.93s on the last classifier.

#7 PEC-Memphis, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012