Sights for 500 Persuader or 88?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by jthrelf, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Do these guns not come with factory sights? Are they easy to shoot without sights?

Not very knowledgeable in the shotgun world, looking to get my first one and not break the bank

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    reinstalling glock factory polymer sights Sights, Optics and Lasers Today at 7:12 AM
    WTS Lone Wolf barrel and night sights Gun Parts & Accessories Yesterday at 10:36 AM
    Found Great Price On Nights Sights! General Glocking Saturday at 2:44 PM
    WTS: Tech-Sights front and rear for Ruger 10/22 Gun Parts & Accessories Thursday at 7:33 PM
    Nights Sights Hitting Point Of Aim? General Glocking Thursday at 4:18 PM

3. So doing more research the 500 has bead sights... so my next question is... are they adequate or are ghost ring sights the way to go?

4. I have beads on most of my shotguns and they are fine, but I like the factory ghost rings on my Mossberg. Some folks get wrapped around the axle because they don't like them but I have never heard of someone complaining about (for instance) a rear sight on an M-1 carbine. If you don't plan on using many slugs or aren't really used to a ghost ring you will probably be fine with a bead,

I STRONGLY ecourage you to take the gun out and rig up some large paper targets and pattern a variety of different buckshot loads at multiple distances to establish which gives the pattern you want and so you determine what head position on the stock gives you the desired point of aim/point of impact. If is good to know exactly what you will get rather than guess

#3 countrygun, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  5. Agree with countrygun here.

6. MeanAction

MeanAction MeanAction

Good advice countrygun. The Bead sight on a shotgun is extremely underestimated.

7. If a HD shotgun, I recommend the meprolight night sight. I replaced my bead with one and was the best 30.00 I spent on my mossberg

8. I like this idea. Did you do the installation?

#7 Providence, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  9. I did it myself and was very easy. Just need to used a dremel to take a thread or so off the night sight so the threads dont go into the barrel. The sight is mossberg shotgun universal and the 590a1 and some others have a thicker barrel. Took less than 30 minutes to install

#8 JDennis, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  10. MeanAction

MeanAction MeanAction

I have one on my HD Mossberg too. I used a file on the threads.