close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Sight Tools

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by RailGun, Sep 12, 2011.

1. RailGun

RailGun

Aug 26, 2011
    Humble, Tx
    Looking to purchase a sight tool and am looking for input from those of you that have / use them.

I am very anal about my tools, I am a sucker for a well built solid tool but hate gimmicks.

I have seen videos of the Uni-Tool which seems to be a "fit all" tool and am not sure of its true quality.

Have seen a few dedicated glock tools but in the videos they seem to not set square on the slides and ride funny on the sights themselves (maybe due to poor setup??)

I am looking for a first rate tool (dedicated glock or universal as long as it works well and doesnt damage slides, etc)

Recommendations??

2. wuvmyglock

wuvmyglock

May 20, 2010
    thefishers@cox.net This guy had posted some on here for $49... Homemade. I purchased one... Works great!! Very good quality. Worked excellent on my G21.. Drop him a line and see if he has any on hand..

3. For Glock standard-style and comparable aftermarket sloped-side sights (Ameriglo, Trijicon, Meprolight) sights, I recommend the MGW Glock rear sight pusher, available from Ameriglo and other sources.

4. RailGun

RailGun

Aug 26, 2011
    Humble, Tx
    Unless I mis-read the info on this one it only works on polymer sights and I need to do both (steel / polymer). Thanks

This one looks promising, heavy duty pusher screw and works on polymer / steel both and the price is right.

Thanks

5. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Dec 30, 2008
    Baldwin Co, Alabama
    I have one and it works fine on both Polymer and steel.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  6. I own one of the new-style Glock factory sight pushers. It worked on steel rear sights...once! The second time I used it, the polymer bolsters (which contact the rear sight) crumpled! The tool is now useless. The design is elegant but deeply flawed.

And you are welcome! :wavey:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  7. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Dec 30, 2008
    Baldwin Co, Alabama
    Each to his own I guess. I have tried the MGW tool but still prefer the factory Glock tool.

8. cciman

cciman

Jan 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    A wooden dowel rod and a hammer works great--take it slow.

I use the MGW. I wish it had graduation marks to reference amount of travel

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  9. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

Sep 10, 2001
    SC
    You can measure the movement and side to side spacing (to center) with a micrometer.

10. harley7892

harley7892

Sep 15, 2011
    I use both MGW, the one with tall square sides and the regular sloped side. They work great.

11. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Jul 18, 2007
    Arkansas
  12. RailGun

RailGun

Aug 26, 2011
    Humble, Tx
    Ordered the MGW tool today, should be here early next week. Thanks everyone for your input.

13. VN350X10

VN350X10

Apr 13, 2001
    McHenry, IL
    The BEST sight tool I've ever used is made by Meprolight. It's NOT cheap, the basic tool is about $500.00 & the adapter for dovetailed front sights such as a Kimber is another 60 bucks, but it will work on any pistol except a Desert Eagle.
    It's made of aluminum billet & machined steel & designed to be bolted to a bench, not a silly hand held toy !
    The Glock tool & the MGW just don't compare;They're not even in the same class !
    Get it from Brownell's.

uncle albert

14. orgnova

orgnova

Feb 13, 2010
    SW Ohio
  15. michael e

michael e

Nov 20, 2010
    I use a pair of needle nose form my rear sights, not fast but it works and was only about a buck.

16. If I did sights on non-Glock pistols, I might consider the pricey Meprolight tool. I don't, and the $350 or so I saved by going with MGW will buy a lot of powder, primers and bullets! :cool:

17. VN350X10

VN350X10

Apr 13, 2001
    McHenry, IL
    For myself, I need the ability to install sights on numerous pistols. This is what PAID for the expensive Meprolight tool (HA) !

uncle albert

18. You charged folks for installing sights on their pistols? :shocked:

19. VN350X10

VN350X10

Apr 13, 2001
    McHenry, IL
    While I am a kind & generous individual, SOMETHING has to pay for my powder & boolitz !