close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Sight selection, your choice for GSSF

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by mike g35, Aug 12, 2012.

1. mike g35

mike g35

Jun 23, 2011
    Charleston W.V.
    Forgive me, I know this has been asked and addressed many times in the past but I'm interested in the here and now. After all there are alot of new sights on the market today. What sights are you using on your GSSF Glocks?
    I got all my guns out a while ago and noticed that theres not one, NOT ONE, matching pair. Different front sight widths, brands , etc etc etc. Not good!!! I want to have a uniform sight picture on every gun and I'm interested to hear what everyone else is using. Please include front sight widths, any filing or painting, brand and model, fixed or adjustable, etc.. Thanks.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    The most popular brands, in no particular order, might be:

Heinie 320's
    Dawson
    Warren-Sevigny
    Ameriglo

I believe Grady is using plain black target sights for GSSF. I like the Ameriglo black (0.150 notch) target rear and red (0.125) fiber optic front.

3. JTSmith

JTSmith Œgfdrïńëçł

Mar 22, 2008
    Albany, GA
    All of mine are stock, except for my 29SF. I have Ameriglo I-dot pros on it and I absolutely love them. They obviously aren't dedicated competition sights, but they worked great the one time I tried MajorSub with the 10mm.

4. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Jun 25, 2004
    Texas
    all black, fixed Heinie rear filed to around .180" wide and a .090 AmeriGlo front. I don't see where it's going to make much differance what kind of sights you have, still going to be a notch and post. Width of the opening and the front I can see having an effect. It's also not going to make much differance what everyone else is using, it matters what works for you. Try other guns and see what you like.

5. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    So... the fact that you have all these guns with different sights... which ones do you like the best? Then duplicate that on the other guns. Simple.

Then spend time with them.
    If you spend all your time shooting an open gun with dot sight, you're never going to get good with iron sights. Period.

Dawson has a good page that explains why you might want a wider or narrower front sight, but I couldn't find it, but I'll try to paraphrase:
    A WIDE front sight (think filling the entire notch) is usually best for pure accuracy, you don't have to "judge" if you have the blade dead center, if you dont' see "air", you're good.

A NARROW front sight is usually best for quick acquisitions, but doesn't give absolute accuracy, at least at speed.

I like the picture as provided by the Warren Sevignys, there is quite a bit of air on each side. Not the best for super accuracy, but a combination of speed and acceptable accuracy.

They are the only sights I've tried besides the Glock sights. I installed them and shot the **** out of them. That's how you get good with them.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  6. Chromepulse

Chromepulse

Apr 9, 2008
    Ron, I find it's the exact opposite for me. A narrow front sight will give you more feedback on precision shots, but it's a little slower to get exactly right. A wide front sight is faster to pick up because you don't get as much feedback with the space around it, it just fills up the rear window.

I also use the Svigney competition sights. I like a gap of about 1/2 width of front sight on either side for a sight picture.

7. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    USA
  8. bryandover

bryandover

Jul 5, 2012
    Missouri
    :wow: I'm supposed to use the sights, I'm going to try that and see what happens. :supergrin: I do have Dawson 105 fiber front and Heinie rear.

9. Jack4321

Jack4321

Aug 8, 2012
    Mount Airy, NC
    I am like Ron I use the Warren Sevignys on all the Glocks I shoot in GSSF.

10. A Regular Joe

A Regular Joe

Oct 9, 2011
    Columbus, GA
    For some reason, I thought you have to use Glock sights in GSSF. I'm actually glad you don't! I like the Warren Sevignys. So, you can use any aftermarket sights?

11. mike g35

mike g35

Jun 23, 2011
    Charleston W.V.
    I took your advice Ron and shot the guns I have to see what I shoot best. I have a G34 setup for USPSA production that had a .125w Dawson front and a Warren rear on it, I have a G17 setup with the same front but a Dawson adj rear, I shoot both well. I think for GSSF I'll stick with the 125w front and Dawson rear. But the question now is do I shoot with the FO front or not? I like the FOs shooting plates but I feel like it confuses the issue on paper. ?????

12. DannyR

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Joe,

You can use almost any, but not all, aftermarket sights. Ghost rings are not allowed. Laser sights are not allowed.

13. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    PM sent.

14. mike g35

mike g35

Jun 23, 2011
    Charleston W.V.
    And returned. Thanks Ron!!!:wavey:

15. A Regular Joe

A Regular Joe

Oct 9, 2011
    Columbus, GA
    Thanks Danny. I did go back and read the rules again. I'm going to get some new sights for my 19 soon. What I really need are new eyes!

16. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Just something to think about, the front sight is the MOST important part of the sights! The rear is second, so in making a decision on the type of sights you should use, select the front sight you can acquire and see clearly! That's whats going to place your shots were you want them!!!:supergrin:

Dan:cool:

17. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

May 16, 1999
    New Hampshire
    Wow, nobody uses Bomars anymore? I still have at least 1 G17 with Bomars on it. Still shoots quite well. In fact, these days it shoots better than I do. :rofl:

18. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Tom, it could be that Bomar is no longer in business!:faint:
    And the folks I know that have any are hanging on to them!:supergrin:
    How is retirement treating you these days?

Dan:cool:

19. DannyR

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Tom,

It's always good to hear from you. I think Grady uses plain black sights in GSSF.

20. VOLGRAD

VOLGRAD

Sep 10, 2007
    Athens, GA
    Excellent post Ron.

Before you go swapping sights on a bunch of guns make SURE you really do have the "best for you" setup chosen first. Otherwise, you'll spend a bunch of money, time, and ammo regulating sights only to regret it later. I know, I've done that before.

I won't bother saying what my choice is as everyone is different and you already have some great suggestions from previous posts.

I would like to reiterate though don't just choose what you "shoot best". What I mean is don't just do some bench rest test groups or slow fired groups. You really need to find the best overall balance/compromise between accuracy and speed. Usually, what works best for extreme accuracy won't be best at speed and vice versa. Point in case, a bullseye set is great for accuracy but something like an XS Big Dots might be best for speed. Neither would be ideal for me for an action shooting sport or for a carry gun.