close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

sight removal

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by B.Reid, Dec 22, 2011.

1. B.Reid

B.Reid

Jun 20, 2005
    Montana
    I have heard that I should remove and replace the sight from only one side, assuming this is true. What side do I do it from.

2. If you're talking about Glock sights, push them out of the right side on the slide.

3. cciman

cciman

Jan 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Push out towards the right of the gun, push in R to L.

4. Rob01

Rob01 Millennium Member

Oct 25, 1999
    CT
  5. kashdaddy

kashdaddy Glockaholic

Dec 25, 2010
    Umm, Earth!
    Push it in from the right side to the left...................push out from the same direction you just pushed in from.............they have a tapered bottom and will grove themself in. Use some red loctite and screw them down if they have a screw. Make sure they are dead center before you loctite it.

6. VN350X10

VN350X10

Apr 13, 2001
    McHenry, IL
    Hint: after pressing in, apply GREEN loctite, the self-wicking type. Creeps into place, no hurrying to beat setup time.
    I've used it on Glock sights & rifle scope rings for years. Curerd, it's the same strength as blue.

uncle albert

7. Batwing

Batwing The Radio Guy

Sep 15, 2011

I'd be hesitant to use red thread locker. That stuff cures very hard and you must use heat to get it broken loose.

8. JBaird22

JBaird22

Nov 18, 2005
    Washington
    I wouldn't use red on anything you intend on taking apart....ever. Locktite color or strength is also based on the diameter or size of the fastener.

9. cciman

cciman

Jan 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    although possibly true for larger fasteners....Its not that great- unless you thoroughly degreased the item, for a fastener that small, you will not have any issues removing it.

10. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Jan 21, 2004
    Denver, CO
    If you are talking about a Glock, it doesn't make a difference which side you push it out or press the new one into place. On other model pistols it does make a difference and, for the most part, you want to remove them by pushing left to right and install the new ones right to left.

11. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Jan 21, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I have installed and replace numerous sights and I always use Red Loctite to secure them. Releasing the Loctite is easily achieved by applying heat to the screw for a few seconds. I typically use a small butane torch and heat the screw for about 6 to 8 seconds. Unscrew it while it's still hot. It's that easy!