close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sig P239 9mm vs. Ruger SR9c for carry

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by pat701, Feb 24, 2012.

1. pat701

pat701
    Expand Collapse

Need help on deciding on the two 9mm pistols. Sig $250 more then Ruger both new. What is more reliable, what more accurate? This will be a carry pistol. The 17 rounds of the Ruger is unneeded by me. 10 rounds are enough for my carry. I am getting ready to buy in a matter of days. Please give me recommendations. I prefer the SA/DA of the sig.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT
    Expand Collapse
    Resident Evil

They are pretty different from each other.

The SR9C carries 10 if I recall correctly but can take the full size magazine. Striker fired with safety.

The P239 9mm has an 8 round magazine. There is a factory 10 round but it adds quite a bit to the grip. DA/SA or DAK hammer fired, no safety.

I do not own an SR9C but I do own a P239. It carries very easy but I do not carry it anymore because it's just as easy or easier to carry the G26 or H&K P2000sk.

Unless either pistol is broken in some way, they will both be more mechanically accurate than 90% of users will be able to take advantage of. I do not know about the realiability of the Ruger. I know that my SIG has a couple thousand rounds through it and I have had zero malfunctions.

Anyway, before you buy these things ask yourself these questions:

1. Do I want a hammer fired pistol?:

NO - Look into a Glock, M&P, XD

YES - Proceed...

2. Do I want an all metal hammer fired pistol?

NO - Look into an H&K or FNH.

YES - Look at 1911, S&W 3rd Gen, Ruger, Beretta, SIG, CZ, etc.

Look into this also before buying things, it will save you time and money:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Digest-Book-Concealed-Carry/dp/0896896110/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top"]Amazon.com: The Gun Digest Book Of Concealed Carry (9780896896116): Massad Ayoob: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mfq2vZpPL.@@AMEPARAM@@51mfq2vZpPL[/ame]

#2 HKLovingIT, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  3. pat701

pat701
    Expand Collapse

Both guns have good/great triggers (ruger) both reiliable, both accurate. I have reashered for months this are my two choices. I am a retired police officer switching from a 2" wheel gun. I will carry inside the pants right front. Sig has a great reputation i have been pleased with SIG. I know it is "old school" single stack, SA/DA. Rugger almost half the price, reviews say you can stake you life on SR9c reliabity. Need advise what to buy from members that have fired both pistols. I am not a big fan of striker fired but can adjust. Just want reliable, accurate, good trigger in 9MM. I am looking also at thier size, shortened barrel but 3 finger grip. The grip is very important to me, all three fingers.

4. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT
    Expand Collapse
    Resident Evil

Ok. Well since I haven't shot the Ruger I can't say about that. However, I can say 100% that the odds of you being disappointed with a P239 are about nil. It's reliable, has a nice trigger, shoots easy, I like the single stack grip and points natural. I don't have a bad thing to say about it. If you like the SIG I would look to find a used P239 or a SIG CPO refurb which can usually be had for about $150-$200 dollars less than new.

5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer
    Expand Collapse

I can without a doubt tell from your post that you want the SIG 239, and are looking for ways to justify it :)

My absolute advice therefore is to buy the SIG. You get the gun you want, and don't look back. Later, as your needs evolve, you may or may not buy some additional guns. But you will always have the SIG that you love. Money doesn't matter in the long run, as you will eventually spend 10x more on ammo than you did on the initial purchase price of the gun.

6. Patchman

Patchman
    Expand Collapse
    Florist

They're both reliable guns. And that's my only hard-and-fast requirement for CCW/SD gun.

Other than reliability, which one you pick seems to come down to personal preferences of each gun's characteristics, price point, etc... Between the two, I'd go for the Sig only because I prefer all metal guns.

The Kahr K9 would also fit the 'three-fingers' requirement nicely.

#6 Patchman, Feb 24, 2012
  7. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

I have no experience with the Ruger SR9 other than handling it in the shop.

I do love my P239 and think it would serve you well for a carry gun. It is my daily carry and has been a very accurate and reliable gun.

[​IMG]

This is my normal off-duty carry setup. Done Hume H721 OWB, Blackhawk single mag pouch at 11:00, and a 5.11 or Beltman carry belt. It doesn't dissappear under a light cover garment, but it does conceal well and is a comfortable setup for me.

#7 collim1, Feb 24, 2012
  8. March817

March817
    Expand Collapse

I have only rented a P239 once, and was surprised that I did not like how far back the trigger broke. Find a way to shoot both before dropping the cash.

9. March817

March817
    Expand Collapse

Augh!!!

#9 March817, Feb 24, 2012
  10. ESI Agent

ESI Agent
    Expand Collapse

I have the Ruger SR9c,very reliable/accurate,made in the U.S. with a life time warranty. Needless to say I'M very happy with it. Check out Hickcock45 on youtube shooting the Ruger SR9c. Be safe.

11. toaddad

toaddad
    Expand Collapse

I have not fired a ruger SR9C, but the few I have handled dild not impress me with their trigger pulls. I have owned and carried a Sig 239 for about two years. It is an excellent choice for a safe, reliable, flat, single-stack 9mm EDC carry. Mine works great for IWB carry plus an off-side back up mag. I prefer it to my Khar CW9 and S&W 908, which are also pretty good choices for this role. The Glock 26 is also a fine choice, but is shorter, but thicker in the grip. Try them out and get the one you like and shoot the best. Be safe.

12. Schrag4

Schrag4
    Expand Collapse

Haven't handled the Sig but I own an SR9c and it has been reliable and it's much more accurate in my hands than my full-sized Glock, only because it fits my hands better. My suggestion is that you hold them both (and fire them both if you can) before you make your decision.

13. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

I'd go for the Sig. I would have alot of difficulty carrying either in a front pocket however.

14. travis34769

travis34769
    Expand Collapse

The Ruger is 10X better to carry than the Sig.

15. CBennett

CBennett
    Expand Collapse

Wow im a big fan of the Sig but i own the Ruger SR9c as my primary CC. I guess id have to say shoot both....I will NOT say one is "better" then the other as id like and carry either and feel good about the gun. The Ruger isnt a lot thicker than the Sig(if any)(gotta go by slide measurements not the little tiny safety measurements you normally see listed) its closer to Glock 36 thickness than Glock 26 thickness..meaning less its around .95. But id have to shoot both back to back to decide if I was just deciding between the 2. And while id love to have the 239 since I actually have and love the SR9c I will stick with it I guess..its

1. Accurate
    2. Reliable(1500 rounds after a initial 150 round break in and in those 1500 not a single failure)
    3. Ambidextrous
    4. 10 round "normal" mag with a 17 round option...something the 239 does not offer
    5. Real nice trigger
    6. Pretty thin...probably not quite as thin as a single stack but thinner than say a Glock 26/27/23/19
    7. fully adjustable sights

16. notjustanothermini

notjustanothermini
    Expand Collapse
    'OP'

i have a ruger sr40, it is cool, very very slim, the slimmest .40 out there, accurate, good aftermarket parts, i have a galloway stainless steel guide rod, a LCI delete, a polished aluminum striker indicator, and a ghost connector. also i have been able to affix a adjustable trigger pad from a glock adjustable over travel/ pretravel trigger to the ruger trigger bar.

the ruger is the size of a g26/27 and is the most glock "non glock" youcan buy.

but the sig, i have too. i like big time firepower, so my vote is the ruger. get one from buds for under 375, free shipping and find a cheap local FFL for transfer. (my guy does it for 10 bux, and accepts all buds transfers)

17. barth

barth
    Expand Collapse
    six barrels

I only have experience with the P239 in 357 Sig.
    It's 100% reliable, laser accurate and is remarkably soft shooting in 357 Sig.

The only drawbacks - IMHO;
    1) Weight (30.3/34.0 oz empty/loaded)
    and
    2) Having a full grip for concealed carry
    [​IMG]

I find I favor my G27, or other guns of like size and weight, for carry.
    [​IMG]

#17 barth, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  18. fowler

fowler
    Expand Collapse

Rugers are not sigs or Glocks. Buy the Sig 239 its ten times the gun over the Ruger. Rugers are ok for the money,but I don,t own any rugers. No Thankyou.

19. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

Any reason why?

20. CBennett

CBennett
    Expand Collapse

They are all fine I dont consider any of them better or lesser guns pretty much all decent and all have different things that are either going or not going for them. I dont consider a Glock better than Ruger or Ruger better than Glock or a Sig better than either..they are all good guns. Id own any of them if they had the features I wanted, fit nicely in hand, were reliable and accurate..and ive shot all 3 brands and owned all 3 at one time or another...im not a Glock fan but I cant call them bad guns either they just dont fit my hand right so they are normally not on my list of things to buy...but they are a great gun...same with Sigs and rugers.