Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Sig P238 now or P938 Later?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Jfduece, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Jfduece

Sep 13, 2010
    My goal is to have the most concealable pistol in a 9mm. I looked at all the usual suspects and when I saw the new Sig P938 coming, I knew it was the one i would get

So why the 238 you ask? Well...
    1. It's pretty much the same gun with the exception of length
    2. I can get it now
    3. Should be able to use the same holster for the 938
    4. Came to the conclusion that 380 would meet my needs(I know plenty of people will flame me on this one, so flame on. it is not a decision that i came to lightly)
    5. I don't really want to be one of the "beta" testers for a brand new product

So my plan now is either
    a) buy the 238 and upgrade to the 938 in a year or two when the kinks are worked out or
    b) wait a few more months and buy the 938 and hope for the best

What would you do? I am pretty set on option (a) right now, but won't actually be buying for another week or two.
  2. DoubleWide

Sep 3, 2008
    Not a fan of the .380 and hoping a future gun is everything they claim it will be isn't a good plan.

3. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    This is a no brainer to me.
    9mm all the way.
    The sweetness is Sig has already had it's teething pains with the P238.
    So I'm expecting the 9mm version to run better right out of the box.

I just can't decide between a P938 or a P224?
    Maybe I need both?

For now I'll just have to get by with my P220/45 - LOL!
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  4. Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    I am with you on the abilities of the .380 in it's role it can be effective IMO. The Sig 238 is the platform I carry .380 in (and have no complaints) but there are a bunch of great ones out there these days. Colt is making the Mustang again in .380, that should be a great gun as well.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  5. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    Both, the P238 is a fantastic pocket gun (the best, IMO), and you can pick up a 938 later once any initial bugs are worked out.

6. Jfduece

Sep 13, 2010
    not as thin as the sig 238/938. don't let the posted specs for the sig fool you. i think they say 1.1 in but that is with the slide release. the slide on the sig is closer to .75 iirc

i think my second choice would be the kahr cm9 or possibly even settling for the .380 longterm and going with the S&W bodyguard or kahr 380
  7. Jfduece

Sep 13, 2010
    Barth, ruggles, nevermore

you are all thinking the same thoughts as me. this is gonna be a difficult one to sort out!
  8. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    Not difficult at all, get the 238 now and the 938 later :supergrin:
  9. ericmd98

Jan 20, 2012
    There was a recent high profile gun fight in my country, the survivor was using a 380 pistol, the one who died was using a 9mm pistol (smith and wesson). It took 5 shots of 380 to kill the other guy. The one who died was not able to fire a shot. Because of this i ordered a sig 238, my thoughts are it is easier to conceal and deploy a small 380 pistol from the front pocket compared to deploying a 9mm pistol from a bag, a 380 pistol is good enough against one attacker without any worry of over penetration. In my country, concealed carry holders are supposed to keep their pistols in a bag.
  10. boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    I was really interested on the 938 until I got to the trigger pull the spec page. 8lbs is crazy. Guess I'm back to looking at Karhs.
  11. NM beat me to it. The 938 wont be worth buying for another two years. Get the 238 now...and the 938 once the bugs are worked out. You now have two years to save...get busy.
  12. Gunsmith will fix that for you...
  13. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    The trigger pull on the P238 says 7.5-8.5 lbs but it feels nowhere near that heavy, more like 4-5lbs max.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  14. Oso

Dec 27, 2010
    Sturgis Michigan
    What about the Ruger LC9?
  15. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011
    1. The .380 is not really a valid defense ctg. on the whole

2. You don't want a single action CCW for pocket carry.

The SIG p290 has the bugs worked out and is a FAR better choice.
  16. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    I agree that some time should be taken to see if there are any bugs in the 938, however it's basically a 238 in 9mm form. A SAO pocket gun is a great pocket carry for someone that carries a larger SAO handgun IWB , especially those with 1911s since the controls are the same. The .380 is a viable defense cartridge as long as proper ammunition is used. The same can be said for alot of cartridges including 9mm Luger and .38spl.

Hornady critical defense has great penetration and expansion tests through 4 layers of denim. The P238 is a fantastic shooting pocket gun, but nobody knows how the recoil is going to be with the 9mm being introduced into the mix.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  17. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    :rofl: p290 is junk.
  18. xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    I wouldn't want anything bigger or heavier for front pocket carry than my 238.
  19. D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

Feb 29, 2008