Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Sig P220

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Madmax1010, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Madmax1010

Mar 19, 2009
    Hey all

Does anyone have info about departments that issue or officers choosing to carry Sig sauer P220's for duty weapons?

2. acpd541

Aug 11, 2004

3. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    I have heard that Pickerington PD (Ohio) recently adopted them.
  4. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
    I carried the 220 DAK for a couple of years. Good gun, I liked it quite a bit. What do you want to know?
  5. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    I forgot to add that I my duty pistol is a P220 carry elite. My agency allows personally owned guns. Of those that carry Sigs, about half use the P220.
  6. Madmax1010

Mar 19, 2009
    I'm curious because thats my choice for carry. And I take a lot of sh... because it only holds 9 rds.
    And the civilian mentality seems to be have a gun with 15 20 rds in the gun.

The sig with 9rd 230 gr 45 works for me.
  7. jwhite75

jwhite75 Gubmint Worker

Jan 6, 2009
    Dub V
    I worked with a Chief Deputy US Marshal several years ago when they could still carry personal weapons. He was on his second one...he supposedly "wore out" the first one. Sounded like an excuse to the wife to buy another one to me.

They are supremely accurate right out of the box and a great choice for a fighting .45.

That Chief was former Army SF and Marshal's Service SOG (SWAT).

The ones I have handled were sweet and I wouldnt hesitate to carry one on duty.
  8. jdh31313

Dec 31, 2006
    S.E. Georgia
    Newton County, S.O. (Georgia) had them up until last year when they discontinued use of the Sig P-220 and went with something higher capacity.
  9. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    My first agency went from te P226 in 9mm to the 220 in .45. The guys that switched said they loved it, even with like, half the rounds. I of course bucked the trend and went with a Para 7.45 LDA, which made a few guys drool, so while they shot mine, I shot theirs. Nice guns, as all Sigs are, but for my tastes, the grip felt just a touch too big. Hard to miss with that thing, though!
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  10. Madmax1010

Mar 19, 2009
    Good article. thanks
  11. blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    Arizona DPS and Arizona Game and Fish carried them for years. It was also an optional weapon with the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office.

I had one through much of the 1990s and have regretted selling it.

The originals were great pistols, though I do not care for American made SiGs and their rather strange affectation for beavertails, tricked out options, and the spotty QC of recent manufacture.
  12. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
    Well, I had no concerns with capacity. I don't think any person who is a proficient shooter would sneer at a guy carrying a 8 round .45; thus those who do must be incompetents.

I carried it with the normal 2 spare mags on my belt, one spare mag in a Galco Ankle glove, and 5 spare mags in my "go bag". I also had a Hogue non-finger groove grip for it; I really never liked the slick feeling factory stocks.

It was accurate, reliable, comfortable to shoot. The only reasons I got rid of it were to carry a smaller, lighter gun (Glock 19); which shot a less expensive round, so I could practice more.

If I were to go to another 220, I'd get the standard version (non-DAK). The double action only was actually pretty light, but I prefer a exposed hammer on a gun like that. The DAK also took a slightly different duty holster which was not available at most retailers, since the DAK was an uncommon variant.
  13. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    We are issued P226's but I have a personally owned P220R with a weaponlight attached. If I went to an agency that I could provide my own duty gun the P220 would be my choice.

I shoot the 220 much better than the .40 P226.

The capacity doesn't bother me, but I am also a big fan of revolvers, and there is very little revolver love these days, except for the pocket guns. Alot of the guys I work with give me crap about the capacity and brag about their PX4's and XDM's that tote 20 rounds of 9mm.

Capacity is one factor of about a dozen when picking a gun for SD. I think the 220 is a great duty gun.
  14. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Mar 1, 2000
    I own and carry two P220's, one for duty and one is my range gun. I've been carrying them for several years now and I never once felt "under gunned" because of magazine capacity.
  15. I had never been a big Sig fan, had a P228 and a couple of 225's ver the years. I always complained of the loooonnnnng reset between each single action shot. Enter the Short Reset Trigger (SRT). I tried a friends P220 Carry with the SRT and really liked it. I took delivery on my own 220 Carry with SRT this afternoon. Hopefully I will get some range time with it this weekend.
  16. Madmax1010

Mar 19, 2009
    Thanks for all the replies I was beginning to think I was only that carried a gun
    with 8 rd mags these days.
    If I don't depend a sig p220 then I carry 1911 I get old fashion for that and I love it.
  17. AngryBassets

AngryBassets Jagenden Übel

Gloucester and Camden County Sheriff Departments in NJ.

(I think Camden Co. still carries them, anyway)
  18. car541

car541 Patrol Hairbag

Aug 20, 2004
    Louisiana State Police issued P-220's for years.

New Hampshire SP issued the P220ST and got rid of them for M&P45's.

The old folded carbon steel slide P-220's were basically flawless, it was virtually impossible to get one to malfunction. The later stainless slide pistols with the internal extractors were more troblesome as the extractors seemed to fall out of adjstment very quickly. The newest ones have an external extractor like a P-226-40. I have not actually shot one of those, but I have heard good anecdotal reports on their performance
  19. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    I have read several times that the majority of police engagements are decided in six or less rounds. If capacity seems like an issue, there are several companies that make quad magazine holders.

The P220 for me is both mechanically accurate, and very easy to shoot. I started 15 years ago with a S&W 4506, and carried a Glock 22 for ten years too, so every once in a while I think about capacity, but not enough to change back.
  20. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

Feb 3, 2009
    My former department carried them. Very nice guns. I didn't care for the low round count, but I shot it really well. I'd rather have a gun with 9 rounds that I can shoot accurately than a gun with 15+ rounds that I can't...