close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

SIG 556 rebate

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by thunderbat, Jan 25, 2010.

1. thunderbat

thunderbat

Sep 5, 2006
    OH
    I saw that Sig is offering a $300 rebate on their 556 line. Have been interested in these on the past and wondering what owners think of them , especially compared to their AR's. I am guessing that SIG is phasing the 556 out in favor of their new 551?

2. raven11

raven11

Jan 27, 2009
    Illinois
    new 551? i belive the Swiss service rifle you are referring to has been around as long as the M-16. you can still buy it but it cost about as much as an ACR

my buddy bought the Classic 556 its a good and reliable rifle but its a tad heavy, maybe due to the gas piston?

3. thunderbat

thunderbat

Sep 5, 2006
    OH
    Sig recently introduced a new piston driver AR style rifle, I thought they called it the 551 in the US...

4. raven11

raven11

Jan 27, 2009
    Illinois
    ahh, your referring to the 516

[​IMG]

5. thunderbat

thunderbat

Sep 5, 2006
    OH
    Yes, that's it. I couldn't find my American Rifleman mag with the story about it, but I knew I had read it somewhere. Sig doesn't even mention it on their website...

6. raven11

raven11

Jan 27, 2009
    Illinois
    its because it won't come out till the end of the year, SIG is doing alot of R&D on the Law Enforcement side before releasing it out to the public, if they release it to the public

7. furioso2112

furioso2112

Dec 12, 2007
    I bought a Sig556 as my first foray into the EBR market - was sold (pre-Glock Talk/AR-15.com savvy days) on the piston system. I soon learned that I should have stuck with my pistol ideology - buythings for which there are ample parts interchangeability and availability. Having bought several AR's since, I considered selling my Sig556. Considering that I have put 1090 rounds through it and would be selling it at a loss, I reconsidered...then I cleaned it.

What a nice system it is. It really is a nice rifle, despite its proprietary system and front-heaviness (doesn't bother me, but is noticeable). It is a rifle that I trust for reliability and is well-made. Parts are now available from Sig, and I installed a Samson rail on it, which is very nice (solid, and the top rail extends the length of the receiver). It is a solid, accurate shooter. Cold-hammer forged barrel, 1 in 7" twist rate, 'semi-adjustable' trigger, easy to break down, clean, and reassemble. The spring for the piston is really nice, will likely last for a lifetime. Extraction is great - really spits 'em out there, at about 2:00. Just when I think I don't like it, I shoot it or check it out again and stop wondering if I blew my money on it.

That said, the 516 looks to have more AR-compatible components, which is a BIG plus in my book.