close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

SIG 238 and other pocket pistols

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by doolyd, Jun 28, 2012.

1. doolyd

doolyd

May 24, 2007
    How long does it take to get used to these small firearms? I bought a SIG 238 yesterday and made it to the range this morning. I have shot an LCP and really didn't care for it so I decided to buy the SIG. This is my first 380 and man, I didn't shoot it too well. I kept anticipating the trigger but it wasn't breaking where I was anticipating.....:crying:

I only shot about 100rds and it looks like I need about 1K more to get used to this trigger. I like the sights and weight of the SIG and the similarity of the 1911....My favorite firearm is what drove me to it.

Very nice looking pistol as well.

[​IMG]

2. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Apr 23, 2011
    Central Texas
    It took a couple of boxes to figure to out, but it is a heavy SAO trigger pull, and for the heavier triggers, I use the part of my finger closest to the first crease/knuckle. Sometimes I use the crease itself, like a revolver or the DA pull on a SIG Sauer trigger.

It is an excellent gun (congrats, by the way) and I hope that you'll be able to add it to your carry rotation soon. Between the subcompact Glocks, and some other pistols I have, the SIG P238HD is probably one of my most carried firearms.

3. philipk

philipk

Mar 12, 2000
    NE Ohio
    Good choice!

I love my P238.

I had the opposite experience. My first shot was way off target. Then the vast majority of my following shots where on target.

I practice mostly at 7 and 15 yards. I haven't even tried 25 yards with this pistol.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  4. philipk

philipk

Mar 12, 2000
    NE Ohio
    That was my plan.

Now that I have the gun, I am not sure it is a good plan.

I am beginning to agree with some experts who says all your carry guns should have the same basic operating procedures.

This would be true while carrying my G23, G27, or S&W J frame. Draw, point, and shoot.

The P238 is draw, point, drop safety, and shoot. Otherwise known as the 1911 system.

Experts claim in a panic you revert to memorized actions.

I learned this while driving my wife's car. The transmission has a different shift pattern than my car. It had never been an issue until I was stopped at a traffic light and a semi-truck started to backup towards me. I had GREAT difficulty putting her car in reverse. Luckily, I keep a safe distance from trucks when stopped. I was able to finally get it in gear and get out of his way.

Now I am at a dilemma.

I am still undecided. However, I am now carrying the P238 exclusively. Thus, I might just go to my 1911's when the weather turns cold.

Just a thought.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  5. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

Apr 1, 2010
    Virginia
    I have one. It was perfect when I first tried one. I'm accurate out to 25 yards with it.

As for my P938, I'm only accurate out to 15 yards. It needs a trigger job.

6. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    I love my P238, shoot it quite well. Does take more practice to stay proficient with though.

7. panzer1

panzer1 NRA MEMBER

Jun 10, 2006
    p.a.
    Funny I have a NNA 380. Small gun for sure that I use for a BUG & I have Very big hands. You would think that I would not shoot it well but I can & do shoot it well out to as far as 25yards.It as a some what heavy DAO trigger. But some how it works for me.

8. Dawolf

Dawolf

Sep 18, 2010
    Arizona
    I have shot my wife's. It seems too shoot high for me like a snubbie. Aim it a quarter of a inch low, and hits center. Why my B.U.G. in a 380 is a PPK. It shoots dead on. My main B.U.G. however now in a Nano. Probably would not consider a 938, as it is ergonomically the same as the 238.

9. sr556m9

sr556m9

Jun 15, 2010
    It only took me maybe 50 rounds to figure out how to effectively hold and shoot my LCP. The thing is, I never carry it. I always felt undergunned when I did. I ended up carrying my G30 for a couple years, followed by my G19 and now my G26. I really think the G26 is the perfect ccw pistol. It holds enough firepower, extremely reliable, and even more accurate. If I could only own one gun, however, it would be my G19. I think it does everything well.

10. Bufford

Bufford

Mar 18, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I have had three (3) different 238's and each one shoots a bit different. My sons is a bit low, my wife's is spot on and mine is perfect for my grip (6 o'clock sight picture) Shoot it a bit and fall in love with it like the rest of us!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  11. doolyd

doolyd

May 24, 2007
    Well I got some 7rounder mustang mags so I will see if the extra grip will help. I didn't expect to shoot a fly off a dogs ass just yet and I really love how it feels. I also don't feel under gunned....a .22 to the head will kill so again, shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.

I would agree with the G19 comment though. :rock: