close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

side by sides/home defense

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by inzone, Jan 31, 2010.

1. inzone

inzone
    Expand Collapse

howdy, I have a relative who is asking me if side by side shotguns are effective for home defense..i wanted to get some group input before I gave them my opinion...thanks in advance....

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Joshhtn

Joshhtn
    Expand Collapse
    The eBay Guy
    Silver Member

I assume 12gauge?...It would be fine... A single shot shotgun (or any gun for that matter) will do the job if shot placement is good.

3. Faulkner

Faulkner
    Expand Collapse
    Patriot
    Millennium Member

Double barrelled shotguns have been used for home defense for over a hundred years. They don't get much more user friendly and reliable than a double.

4. Dr. J Frame

Dr. J Frame
    Expand Collapse
    LSWCHP +P

I use one-
    [​IMG]

5. Joshhtn

Joshhtn
    Expand Collapse
    The eBay Guy
    Silver Member

^^^^ love it!!!!!

6. mitchshrader

mitchshrader
    Expand Collapse
    Deceased

just figure the odds of YOU walking in on one. You can't figure them for me, cause I wouldn't.

7. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Expand Collapse

Yes, it is.

8. 22highcaps

22highcaps
    Expand Collapse

Sure they will work. However there are better choices.

9. TxGun

TxGun
    Expand Collapse

:thumbsup:

10. flagg

flagg
    Expand Collapse

with training, you could probably do better than someone with a fancy-pants tactical shotgun.

11. tebklr

tebklr
    Expand Collapse

As others have mentioned, a SxS can be a great HD weapon. Relatively short and handy; especially in "coach gun" configs.

Prolly best to have one with two triggers, internal hammers, and extractors (as opposed to ejectors) so it can be easily topped off without having to load both barrels each time its cracked open if only firing one shot. Preferably, no "auto-on" safety when breaking open. One less thing to manipulate in the heat of the moment.

Training, practice, and shot placement will make it work out just fine.

12. Blitzer

Blitzer
    Expand Collapse
    Cool Cat

If one holds the NRA's opinion in high regard they report most home incidents involve one shot fired by the home owner.

13. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo
    Expand Collapse
    NRA ENDOWMENT

No. No 2 shot firearm should be considered for any type of defensive situation period. Criminals are like wolves, they like to run in packs.
    Pat

14. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo
    Expand Collapse
    NRA ENDOWMENT

No I don't think so. It would take a whole lot of skill to over come the disadvantages inherent in a double barrel shotgun. The average hit ratio nation wide with cops (better trained than the average home owner) is 25%. With a double you only have 2 shots to miss with. You can do the math.
    Pat

15. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

Does this relative have a double barrel shotgun already that they want to use for home defense, or are they going to buy a new shotgun for home defense?

Much like my response in the single barrel shotgun thread, the double will work fine if it is all you have. But a pump action shotgun will be cheaper to buy and will work better.

Pro's to the double barrel shotgun:
    1. Simple to operate.
    2. Quick second shot with no manipulation of the gun.
    3. Very easy to check loaded status.

Con's to the double barrel shotgun:
    1. 2nd barrel adds weight.
    2. Most of the inexpensive ones use an inertial sear for the 2nd shot, it takes the recoil of the 1st shot to cock the sear for the 2nd shot. Hold the gun loosely at your side and it may not set the sear for the 2nd shot.
    3. The cheap import double barrel guns are usually very stiff and hard to open when brand new. They take quite a bit of shooting to wear them in, or you need to send them to a gunsmith to get polished up. If you ask the cowboy action shooters who works on their guns you will end up with a real slick double barrel.
    4. Price is higher than a pump gun.
    5. Coach guns I have shot kicked like a mule with buckshot loads in spite of their heavier weight.

In short the gun in Dr. JFrames picture will stop an intruder just fine. But so will my pump gun.

And I only have $156 invested in this one and it also has a 26" hunting barrel:

[​IMG]

#15 vafish, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  16. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs
    Expand Collapse
    Nerd

More pro's not listed above:

-ZERO chance of jamming due to feed or extraction problems
    -A complete backup hammer sear trigger mechanism (on old-style models), this is essentially two single-shot guns with a common buttstock.
    -No magazine spring to wear out if kept loaded

Con:
    -Only two shots max

I have a coach-style double barrel, and a 590 pump. I like them both but feel the coach gun is less likely to fail. I keep neither loaded for HD but would not hesitate to use either one if I didn't already have other options.

17. PeteCamp

PeteCamp
    Expand Collapse

My 2 cents worth: I have fired thousands of rounds through SxS doubles - BUT they were AA Target loads that were not suitable for defense (Cowboy Action shooting). Someone mentioned they are heavier. That is not my experience at all. Especially the 18.5 inch models. They are light .. light .. light.

I put a couple of rounds of 00 buck through mine several times just to remind myself what it is like. It HURTS. Even with recoil pads they are not pleasant to shoot with those loads. For an experienced shooter the SxS would be acceptable. For a newcomer, I would start with a good pump.

18. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Expand Collapse

IIRC, that hit rate is primarily handguns. The hit rate for shotguns and rifles is quite a bit higher. During the 1950s a rather interesting military test found the shotgun the firearm that was most likely (out of shotgun, handgun rifle, submachine gun) to accomplish a 1st round hit within 50 meters.

19. OVERTHEHILLGUY

OVERTHEHILLGUY
    Expand Collapse

Many old west sheriffs used double barrel shotguns with great effect. Check with "DOC" Holiday, it was his weapon of choice.

20. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

I mentioned that doubles were heavier.

That was based on my handling double barreled shotguns, most of which had longer barrels. And after doing some more checking, the Stoeger Coach guns with 20" barrels weigh 6 1/2 lbs which is the same as a Mossberg 500 with a 18.5" barrel and synthetic stock.

So weight is not really a factor either way.