close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

SHTF, one incident at a time

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Kayaker, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Kayaker

Kayaker Deceased

Sep 9, 2006
    Near Kona, Hawaii
    No, not the big collapse we have been talking about, but:

Last year lightning hit the side of my house, burned the cable, fried the computer and printer, and the land line phone, hence no outside communication for almost a week.

Last month a truck tore down the electric lines near us, and no power for a day and a half, then another pole came down, for most of a day. No electricity, used flashlights and solar driveway markers inside, and wind up light to read.

Yesterday we got an email that one of the county well pumps was down (repairs maybe 7 months!), and the salt content of the standby pumps is not safe for drinking or cooking (especially for those with high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.) I put to use the two 5 gallon water containers from my survival stash, and can refill them for 25 cents a gallon.

If these had happened on the same day, we would have been SOL. Any suggestions for a good water filter? I have small ones, but doubt they will clear salt.

2. Kayaker

Kayaker Deceased

Sep 9, 2006
    Near Kona, Hawaii
    Hi, it looks like the Katadyn Survivor 06 will fill the anti-salt requirement. Small but sounds great. Got the info from the thread here on filters.

3. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

Jan 27, 2001
    Clarksville, TN
    Even with all that you are in Hawaii.

No sympathy from me :p Go sleep on the sand, chase some hulu girls, make fun of some haoles, and drink from coconuts.

4. My Berkey has been very trouble free for the last year. There is no potable water in Florida even with the SHTF not happening. Even if I could stand the taste I couldn't get past the smell.

Cat