close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Shoulder Holsters

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by JAS104, Dec 17, 2012.

1. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Apr 2, 2012
    USA
    Hey guys,

I'm looking to invest in a good shoulder holster. I have an Uncle Mikes that someone on here sent me, but I'm looking to get a good leather ones. Any suggestions? I've seen a bunch of Galco ones online but looking to get some help from you guys. Thanks

JAS

2. DRJ1911

DRJ1911

Jun 30, 2011
    I have a Galco for my HK's. It works very well and is very well made but I don't use it much I prefer belt carry.

Doyle

3. HexHead

HexHead

Jul 16, 2009
    I have a Galco Jackass I like a lot. Very comfortable and conceals well under a jacket or hoodie.

4. yellowhand

yellowhand

Feb 1, 2012
    Arizona
    My wife just bought me a Glaco Jackass rig off Amazon for 121.00 total to the door, great shoulder rig.

5. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Apr 2, 2012
    USA
    Whats the difference between the Jackass and the Miami or Miami II? I cant see any notable difference online:dunno:

6. ranger1968

ranger1968

Mar 23, 2009
    The Miami Classic has a little more coverage than the Jackass, and the Miami II has an open top mag carrier instead of the enclosed mag pouches .

Get the Miami Classic, it's the best of the three.

7. The Retired Sarge

The Retired Sarge "The Sarge"

Feb 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My choice in shoulder holsters is "The Undertaker" by High Noon. Well worth serious consideration www.highnoonholsters.com
    Bill

8. I own both the High Noon Holsters "Undertaker" and a Galco Jackass Shoulder rig.

[​IMG]
    High Noon Holster "Undertaker" w/ Colt Commander.

[​IMG]
    Galco Jackass Shoulder Holsters w/Colt Commander.

Both of these shoulder holsters are extremely comfortable, and each allows me to cant the pistol in a slightly grip-down configuration. Of the two, I probably wear the Galco a bit more, although I only wear shoulder rigs in extremely cold weather, as a cover garment is absolutely mandatory, and it doesn't get that cold here in my part of Texas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. KentuckyPatriot

KentuckyPatriot Photojournalist

Aug 30, 2010
    Kentucky
    There is a website that escapes me at the moment which shows a double-holster rig for carrying 2 j-frames.

A buddy of mine introduced me to his Galco rig that he put together which allowed him to carry two j-frames. I liked it so much that I bought the pieces and assembled my own rig and bought a new j-frame to fill the package.

Depending on what size firearm you want to carry you can do so under a tucked in shirt. Dark colors or patterns will help break up any outline, but with my size and the j-frame size I can conceal under a typical dress shirt.

No hugging allowed! :rofl:

10. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Apr 2, 2012
    USA
    Thanks for taking the time to post these pictures, they really helped :wavey:

11. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Apr 2, 2012
    USA
    I ended up buying the Galco Miami Classic Shoulder Holster in brown from Cabelas. $154.99 with free shipping. Will let you guys know

12. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
    I used this one in the military and it work well.

:50cal:

13. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Apr 2, 2012
    USA
    How concealable is it?

14. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Galco Miami Classic for me. To answer the conceal-ability question I'd say it depends on what you wear and what gun you carry. If I wear a button up short sleeve shirt I can't carry my Glock 22 while seated because it tends to poke out quite a bit. But if I carry my Springfield XDm 3.8c that is not an issue at all. Also if I put on even a light jacket the G22 disappears in all situations.

15. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
    It was mandatory we wore it outside our uniform while working in the armory and control center. It work well for me in that circumstance. On conceal ability it depends on the persons size, dress, what strap adjustments they make and gun type. We carried a full size Beretta 92 and it would not have work well for conceal carry for me however we did have some people who in did conceal it in civilian clothes fine.

We also had an Uncle Mikes one to test as a cheaper alternative because we were starting to have more of our budget go into other areas. The Uncle Mikes one was last scene in the corner under some table in a heap of dust.

:50cal:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  16. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I have a shoulder holster for my G17. I may use it soon.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  17. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    Galco set the standard for shoulder rigs. The MC is best, but the MCII and Jackass are excellent as well. Uncle Mike's Pro Pac shoulder rig is the worst excuse for a shoulder rig I have ever encountered, and I've tried a bunch. Shoulder rigs are rarely a go-to holster except in cold climates, or when doing a great deal of driving. The most common mistake by folks new to shoulder rigs is to adjust the rig (or fail to adjust the rig) so that the gun is closer to the belt than the armpit. As high into the armpit as is comfortable is the proper adjustment, lending to greater stability, concealment, and reduction of sway or travel of the harness when the user bends over or to the side. Unless you want your shoulder rig to also function as suspenders, tie downs are normally not necessary. The VHS is a great galco product as well.

18. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Apr 2, 2012
    USA
    I'm glad someone said that tie downs weren't entirely necessary. I've been told time and time again GET TIE DOWNS so its nice to think I have a complete rig on the way to me and I dont need to go back, buy tie downs, wait 3-5 days, then have a complete holster, hah.
    Thanks

19. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Very nice-looking rigs.

20. BADOS

BADOS

Oct 4, 2012
    Florida
    Have had my Galco "Jackass" for 20 years. Great holster, high quality, wears really well and is comfortable.