close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Should we dump the Electoral College?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by wjv, Oct 30, 2012.

1. wjv

wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Then every vote would really count.

Blue people in Red States.
    Red people in Blue States.
    Wouldn't matter. .

Someone's vote in SD would count just as much as someone's vote in NY

Do we really need the Electoral College anymore?

Opinions?

2. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    No it wouldn't. Large population centers and all their urban influence would drown out other parts of the country where there is still some sanity.

The Framers were wise indeed. Nothing but foolishness to dump the electoral college.

3. pmcjury

pmcjury

Nov 4, 2008
    No but the electoral college votes should not be all or nothing within a state. If the popular vote is split 70/30 that should be reflected in the electoral college

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

4. Flintlocker

Flintlocker

Jul 1, 2011
    Here's an example of the biggest advantage Republicans get out of the EC. Are you sure you want to give that up?[​IMG]

5. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Dec 27, 2011
    PNW
    Not unless you want NY City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Atlanta and Philadelphia deciding the election for you.

6. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Certainly not. It keeps 50 states determining who is POTUS.

7. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Jan 8, 2004
    Seems like that would be pretty much the same as dumping the electoral college. I think we should keep it for the same reasons it was originally implemented. I also think we should go back to having state legislatures name the state's US Senators. And finally, we should limit campaigning and campaign fundraising to the six months prior to election date.

8. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    +1
    The states need more power in relation to the fed gov, not less.

Just to be clear because I know some statist authoritarian is going to say "see, you like a powerful gov too." All forms of government in these U.S. need less power, but I would not choose to take power away from states without first taking a lot of power from fed gov.

9. tslex

tslex

Aug 1, 2002
    Paradise
    Kind of thinking a tie in the EC would be interesting (and not completely impossible).

In that case the House elects the POTUS (and the slight R majority would choose Romney) and the Senate elects the VP (where Biden would win).

Can you imagine anything more entertaining than four years of a Romney/Biden administration?

10. concretefuzzynuts

Dec 27, 2011
    PNW
    I'll add another twist. Since it in a presidential election and write in votes count, who's to say they wouldn't write in BHO as VP? This opens up the chance of BHO being president again under a couple of different circumstances.

1. In the event of a Romney death.

2. And Obama can legally run again in 2016 as a VP candidate.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  11. MZBKA

MZBKA

Apr 14, 2004
    Yes, we should give it up.

People here arguing for the electoral college are arguing we should keep it because it helps keep their party in power. I can't think of anything more un-American.

12. concretefuzzynuts

Dec 27, 2011
    PNW
    Our system of government is set up as a Representative Republic. The Electoral College is part of that.

13. Vic777

Vic777

Jan 23, 2006
    If you want the New York Dumocrats and the California Filmmakers to be controlling the Country (and destroying it), sure, get rid of the Electoral College. You must be a lieberal living off my taxes.

14. Vic777

Vic777

Jan 23, 2006
    Like you don't want the Dumocrats in power so you can live off my taxes and hard work! Lieberals lie to themselves as much as they lie to honest Americans.

15. pmcjury

pmcjury

Nov 4, 2008
    I don't think they are the same thing at all. It still keeps the electoral college votes per state the same, which keeps high population states from completely over ruling lower population states, but let's the minority within a state still be heard.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

16. Gundude

Gundude

Mar 7, 2003
    There is the distinct possibility next week that Romney will win the popular vote and Obama the EC. We'll then see how many fans it still has here.

17. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    It is still the best way. Each state votes for its electors. The majority still rules, state by state.

18. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    2 states have apportionment of EC reps, the other 48 are "winner take all. It would be a definate improvement if more would swing to a representative apportionment. In Oregon and washington States it usually runs about 60/40 or closer with the Dems winning and taking all the votes. A change would also be beneficial to the third parties.

19. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Jan 8, 2004
    Not exactly. The representatives of each state have one vote, so the person to win would be whichever party has the most either Repub majority states or Dem majority states in the House. Probably would still end up being Romney but it isn't a simple matter of which party has the most representatives.