close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Should there be a warranty on doctor's services?

Discussion in 'The Furball Forum' started by Lonestar 48, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Lonestar 48

Lonestar 48 Silver Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Haslet, TX
    A lot of things have a warranty or a money back guarantee; why not one for doctor's services?

A couple of years ago, I had a heart attack while I was working out. The doctor put a stent in my heart. The next weekend, I was working out again, with the doctor's blessing, and I had another heart attack. Turns out the stent was messed up. A different doc went in to fix that one. The original doc saw what the second doc did and wanted to fix his mistakes. He accidentally severed an artery which led to open heart surgery and a bypass. The bypass failed which led to another heart attack, which led to some more work.

It all ended up costing a lot of money, which between me and the insurance company was all paid. Friends wanted me to sue but I am of the nature that folks make mistakes. Lately though, I have been thinking that between the docs and the hospital, I, and my insurance company shouldn't have had to pay for their services after the first stent. Like it should have been on them to pay for their mistakes.

Anyone else feel this way or have a similar experience?

2. 2bgop

2bgop

Dec 5, 2006
    In the SEC
    You have a recourse available now, just open the yellow pages to Attorney. There will be 100s willing to listen.

3. dango

dango

Jun 9, 2008
    I was a high end designer and builder of fine furniture all my life .
    Point being , I was held to a higher standard than the medical proffession, No mercy , no flaws , perfection every time.

On the other hand , I,ve been to six different doctors to finally find out what my problem was. They didn't fix anything and yes , I had to pay them . Makes one wander ?

The problem turned out quite serious but after three surgeries ,
    I'm ok now . I should not have payed the others .......!

4. jollygreen

jollygreen

Apr 9, 2009
    There is a warranty. It's called malpractice insurance. And you should definitely sue, assuming you can document all you just described.

I can pretty much guarantee that the quack who did the first procedure is well acquainted with the process by now.

5. devildog2067

devildog2067

Apr 20, 2005
    Chicago
    If you genuinely feel that this is the way the system "should" work (in the sense that the system would work better if it was this way) the solution is simple. Find some investors and some doctors, and start a medical practice or a hospital that works this way.

If you're right, you'll be more successful than other hospitals and everyone will switch to your model. If you're wrong, you'll go out of business.

6. devildog2067

devildog2067

Apr 20, 2005
    Chicago
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

7. Obi Wan

Obi Wan

Oct 13, 2007
    'Round the bend...
    I completely agree with you. And include dentists while we're at.

My wife had her gall bladder removed several years ago. She's 5'2", 100 lbs, and in good physical shape. Shortly after the surgery, she developed a hernia in the incision area. The doctor's reply was that "they never put a suture in a vertical incision of the muscle since it should grow closed". Well, that may be fine on fat people, but apparently not on trim women who don't have muscle depth. After he then went back in to install a mesh screen over the hole - which has subsequently developed a fair amount of painful scar tissue in the area - he had the nerve to send me a bill for his services. Keep in mind that he was already paid over $950 by the insurance company, but wanted another few hundred from us. I told him we wouldn't pay it because he should have put a suture in the original incision and all of this wouldn't have happened. He replied that it was "standard procedure to NOT use a suture to close the cut", and if I didn't pay his bill he wouldn't see my wife any longer as her doctor. I told him she already said he was never going to touch her again and he'd be lucky if my lawyer didn't respond to him next.

Yes, IMO, there should be a 'Warranty' for professional services and judgment.

8. ray9898

ray9898

May 29, 2001
    Georgia
    Doctors don't live in a world of black and white, there are millions of variables. Many times there simply is no 100% right answer.

To compare a Doctor treating a heart issue like you would a mechanic swapping a car battery is the wrong train of thought.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  9. nmk

nmk

Apr 25, 2007
    Do you honestly believe this is a fair comparison?

10. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

May 1, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Sure, repairing someone's heart should be as foolproof as making an easy chair.

11. Lonestar 48

Lonestar 48 Silver Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Haslet, TX
    Certainly I could try your suggestion, but I think you are making this issue more black and white than it is. As 2bgop pointed out, there are lots of lawyers who would like a crack at cases like this, but that ends up costing more money than a "warranty" service would cost. The car industry has figured out a way to keep their customers safe by issuing recalls; bad product, they pay to fix it. That seems to work well for many consumer goods; why not medicine?

The cardiologist, with whom I've become friends, told me that he had never done that before, and it rattled him like no other case. As I mentioned earlier, a lawsuit solution was never an option for me. We all make mistakes.

12. Psychman

Psychman NRA Life Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Indiana
    :rofl::rofl: good one

13. I think doctors should not be paid until they cure you, no cure no pay.

14. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

Aug 25, 2005
    Florida
    Then I guess oncologists should work for free then. Or what about all the other afflictions that can't be cured yet.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

15. Altaris

Altaris

Feb 16, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    I would hate to be a doctor dealing with cancer then.

16. I wonder why there is no cure yet, I was going to a Chinese herb doctor here in the Seattle area who was curing all the diseases that modern medicine says there is no cure for. Such as cancers modern medicine they told the people there was no cure for, Lupus, Lou Gerig disease, MD, ect. His name was Hen Sen Chin and you didn't have to sell your house to pay him.

17. devildog2067

devildog2067

Apr 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Good luck with that.

I have a really nice bridge I'd like to sell you.

18. You can try to sell all the bridges you want, I'm just telling you what I experienced and saw. Many of Hen Sen's patients here in the Seattle area were Doctors who also brought their families to see him.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  19. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    You dont know what you are seeing. That is the problem.

20. When it comes down to it, they call it "practicing" medicine for a reason. Not a whole lot of recourse other than to sue if there was a clear sign of malice or incompetence. You pays your money and takes your chances.