close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Should the republican party change?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by frank4570, Jan 5, 2013.

1. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

Jan 11, 2011
    too close to philly
    that is a huge part of the problem.

disaster? let the.gov fix it...look it just got bigger!

you are too lazy to work? no problem! the .gov will take your worries away! and look, it just grew ten-fold!

people have had the "gimme" mentality bred into them.

2. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    I agree that the LP isn't going to change much, and I vote for them more then everyone else combined.

But, what makes the CP better? I won't vote for someone that thinks the world is <10,000 years old, and I doubt I'm the only one.

3. nursetim

nursetim

Mar 1, 2006
    liberalville N. M.
    Care must be taken that we do not overshoot the goal and swing to far to the right. We need to check ourselves.

4. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    So religious purging is your number one issue? That's sort of short sighted. Kind of like not helping someone bail water out of the sinking lifeboat you are in because they had the audacity to mutter a prayer in your presence.

Look at the exit polls listing the number one issue. The economy. The problem is that 51% of the voters think the solution to the economy is to give them other people's money.

I voted for more libertarians than Republicans this time around. There were a lot of judges running in the last election. Not a lot of Dems ran at all. So, I voted libertarian on every race I saw without an opposing Dem.

5. IceAxe

IceAxe

Oct 22, 2012
    Rocky Mountains
    Concur - I don't want an Authoritarian-Right government any more than I want an Authoritarian-Left one and pendulum swings often do overcompensate. A few years ago I wouldn't have said move "hard" to the right, I'd have said "nudge" back to the right.

6. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

Nov 18, 2010
    SW Florida
    It's the social issues and poor leadership that are taking us down. Ds and Rs know that the financial stuff has to be fixed, or else!

It is too simplistic to say we just need to move back to the right. We need a strong national leader who can steer us on a new course with less emphasis in gay rights, abortion, etc. and more focus on Conservative economic values. We need to appeal to a broader base in order to fix immigration, tax restructuring and overhauling entitlement programs.

The answers to our "real" long term problems still lie in Conservative economic and governance philosophy.

7. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

The only way for the Republicans to regain the WH and the Senate is to outpromise the Democrats. And, if you are going to do that, why not just give up and become a Democrat.

We can go ahead and speed up what is coming sooner or later anyway.

8. nursetim

nursetim

Mar 1, 2006
    liberalville N. M.
    So we need to sell them on the benefits to what we believe. We need a great advertising firm to sell, not the steak, but the sizzle.

9. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    That sounds too much like switching sides.

10. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

I'm not switching. I'm just not optimistic about how this all turns out. How do you reverse after you've passed the tipping point?

11. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

Jan 11, 2011
    too close to philly
    sounds crazy? nope....i totally get it.

this is not an easy fix, if at all. and the leeches of our country are not helping , and will not help. why work when you have welfare, ssi, and every other .gov handout to keep you from having to go to work?

why contribute? we'll tax the rich more....oddly, seems about 77% of the country suddenly ended up "rich" as of jan 1st.

this is going to get better? laughable.

fiscal cliff? yeah...we went over that a long time ago.

this government has become a soap opera.

12. jeanderson

jeanderson Making America great again! Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ohio
    The Republican party should drop all the high moral & religiosity crap. They are losing people by the droves.

I don't like the fact that the morals of the country are decaying as they are, but the Republicans are going nowhere if they think it's the government's role to enforce these things and tell people how to live their lives. They should take on more of the ideas of the Libertarians - less government, period.

13. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    It used to be that GOP meant Pro-Gun. Not any more - even in TX.

14. barbedwiresmile

barbedwiresmile Unreconstructed

Feb 3, 2008
    Dixie
  15. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    I don't know if it can turn around for the better.

I refuse to try to make it worse.

"To the last, I will grapple with thee... from Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee! "

I'm in it to win it. I'm not giving up.

I can't.

16. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I wouldn't want to have to memorize that!

17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    When I was born, people in Kentucky were still democrats, as they had been since the civil war - democrats carried guns and worked for a living and even the KKK still voted democrat (the party they belonged to from their founding until probaly well after WW II). The Democrats became increasingly left-wing, so that now Kentuckians vote Republican by a landslide in national politics...and still vote democrat by a landslide in state politics. I do it to (note that neaerly all of Kentucky's pro-gun laws, probably the most pro-gun in America, were written and sponsiored and passed by democrat legislators and governors).

Now the problem is that even the Republicans are moving more and more to the left os now it's either stay home or vote for some nutty fringe party that has no chance and guarantees the democrats a win.

If the Republican party could be corrected, as the tea party and such have started to do, that would be the best choice, because moving everybody to a third party would take many years and guaranteee democrat control, and likely the complete economic and civil rights destruction of the country, for the rest of my life.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  18. clancy

clancy

Feb 16, 2011
    I think the biggest problem the Republican Party has is it's inability to find a Reaganesque statesman to run. If John McCain and Mitt Romney are the best we have to offer we are in a far deeper hole that, even if we drop the hot topics of abortion and religious fundamentalism, we will never get out of.

19. sharkbait22

sharkbait22

Nov 20, 2011
    Rockledge, FL
    This x1000

20. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    x10,000