close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Should The Bible Be Banned From Obama's Inauguration?

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by JBnTX, Jan 18, 2013.

1. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    Lawrence O'Donnell of MSNBC thinks Obama should NOT swear on the Bible during his upcoming inauguration, but instead he should swear on one of his daughters.

The farther we kick God down the stairs, the deeper this country sinks into a sinful, hedonistic and pagan society.

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/13801822-ban-the-bible-at-inauguration-lawrence-odonnell

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwyyamt4ImI"]World News 2013 - Lawrence O'Donnell: Get Rid of the Bible on Inauguration Day - YouTube[/ame]

2. You have to love how people today play so fast and loose with the constitution. It's called separation of church and state.

3. Sarge1400

Sarge1400

Jan 15, 2003
    Nebraska
    He can swear in on a Dr. Seuss book for all I care. Its all for show and doesn't mean a damn thing. He's gonna do what he's gonna do, regardless of where his hand is during inauguration.

4. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    The Bible is not the symbol of God.

5. Goat 36

Goat 36

Aug 2, 2010
    Glockerbie
    No, it should not.

He's been using plenty verses from scripture when addressing the country lately. Why would he suddenly feel the Bible is unworthy of being included in a ceremony that christens his leadership of a country that was founded on its laws and moral codes?

ETA: And what's with the "Private Inauguration" before the live one that we see? What the heck goes on, there, that's anymore important than the ceremony/show that we get to see?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  6. Sarge1400

Sarge1400

Jan 15, 2003
    Nebraska
    Christianity may share the moral codes, but it doesn't get to claim them as its own. They were around long before Christianity showed up.

7. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Dec 27, 2011
    PNW
    Maybe he should swear on "Rules for Radicals" by Saul Alinsky.

8. Nowhere does it say that the elected president needs to swear in on a bible...its just somthing they've done for years.

besides, it would look funny having him palm his daughters face while swearing in.

9. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    It's the word of God and an instruction book for Man to follow.
    There's NO higher authority to bear witness to the president's oath of office.

10. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    Sacrosanct to only some......

A book is the highest authority?

An exclusive and tribal book?

God forbid.

11. Goat 36

Goat 36

Aug 2, 2010
    Glockerbie
    As long as you're living by the same moral codes, I doubt anyone's gonna fight with you over who/what those codes belong to. You can claim them if you like.

And claiming that they were around before Christianity is pretty hard to prove unless you were there, though I don't doubt that some basic sense of right and wrong existed before the Bible. And, even if you were there, it'd still be your word against the Bible.

I mean it's not something you can test for with carbon dating or anything.

And if you don't believe in God, (meaning anybody) then what difference does it make if we stick with the same traditional ceremony that's been enacted since the founding of this nation?

12. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Gotta agree with that. End thread, nuff said.

Really. The oath of office means nothing to this guy.

Hang on, we are all in for a wild ride.

13. God sees all, whether your hand is on a bible or picking your butt.

14. The guy from MSNBC had a good point. Why swear on a Bible that you do not agree with to support a Constitution you don't agree with. It really is hypocrisy.

15. Goat 36

Goat 36

Aug 2, 2010
    Glockerbie
    Even more to the point, why swear someone like that into office?

Rather than eliminating the Bible from the procedure because the swearee does not believe/agree with it, why not eliminate the swearee from consideration and find someone who 'does' agree with it?

I could be wrong, but I believe the point of the Bible's inclusion is kind of a prerequisite for the position of office.

Just like being a proven citizen of this country is a prereq.....oh, wait.

16. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    Should it be banned? Absolutely not.

Should it be used? It should be completely up to Obama.

17. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    Maybe she should campaign for a change in the court systems "Swearing In" process also.

It has already been determined that the President can use whatever Bible he chooses to "swear to". I am waiting to see if it becomes the Koran.

18. jonny772

jonny772

Aug 24, 2005
    South East Florida
    separation of church and state. So I think he should swear on the constitution and Bill of rights.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

19. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Not caring a bunch. But where does that statement "Separation of Church and State" appear in the Constitution?

It's an MSM & public school system manufactured fallacy.

I like the 1st Amendment just the way it reads in plain text.

20. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

Mar 22, 2004
    The Bible's inclusion is a custom, not a prerequisite.