Should Springfield "reload"

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by RYT 2BER, Mar 6, 2012.

1. I notice often that an amazingly common complaint of Springfield guns is the grip safety.

I know it certainly keeps me away from them (among other things)... from forum readings and such it seems that the grip safety proves to be a wild marketing liability...

Why prevents them from redesigning some models without it? Don't know why I am thinking about this, but it seems logical no?:dunno:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    What should I do with my GI Springfield? 1911 Forums Jun 13, 2013
    I should have never sold my Springfield MC Operator....... 1911 Forums Oct 28, 2012
    SPRINGFIELD-5"-Loaded-Parkerized...Should I? 1911 Forums Mar 10, 2010
    Should I buy a Springfield Operator or a Nighthawk 1911 Forums Jan 23, 2010
    Magazine springs - When should one consider changing them? Gun-Parts & Access. Yesterday at 9:50 PM

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan

I've never had a single issue with agrip safety. Are you
    actually talking about a 1911 or the XD series?

If you are basing your decisions upon "internet forum
    opionions" you are cheating yourself of experience & knowledge.

Find a range that rents them.........find out it it does/doesn't work for YOU.

4. Curjo

If you've held an XD or XDM you'd realize how easily it pushes in and you can't even notice it as it sits flush against the grip unlike the 1911 version which has the part that protrudes when compressed. The 1911 just hits me wrong.
  5. I've never heard that a grip safety was a problem. Springfield lists it as an added feature. It's up to the individual to decide if it's a feature they need or want.
  6. Y'all are missing the point of the question... many people say they stay away due to the grip safety... wouldn't they benefit from redesigning the xd series to have the widest appeal?
  7. if you are holing the gun somewhat properly i am unsure if you will notice the grip safety or not. probably have just as many people stay away from glock for some reason or another. to each there own
  8. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan

No,......a redesign is pointless,......the XD and XDm has a HUGE following!

It would rank up there with a redesign of the 1911 to a double-stack.
    While there are some, they may comprie of 1% of 1911 sales.​
  9. I think the grip safety on the XD makes more sense than on the 1911 ( which already has a thumb safety). It is also more comfortable than any 1911.

Yet that doesn't seem to hurt 1911 sales any.
  10. DreamWeaver88

DreamWeaver88 ...............

Many people also say they won't buy new S&W revolvers because of the lock. Truth is, you're hearing from the vocal minority in both cases. Springfield is selling a ton of XD's, just as S&W is selling a ton of revolvers.

11. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache
    Millennium Member

I won't own a Smith with a lock, it's not the function I'm worried about, I just think they as ugly as a mole on a whores ass, a real turn off.
  12. Sheepdog Scout

Sheepdog Scout Behind you!

They don't "reload'" the XD/XDm line because they don't design the guns. The guns were/are designed in Croatia and are built in Croatia. Springfield simply puts their mark on it. Plus they sell just fine regardless. HS Produkt is the brains behind this.
  13. I don't care what you do, you ain't going to make everybody happy.
    #12 CajunBass, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  14. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

less internet

more real world
  15. Curjo

Exactly, I've never heard anyone complain about it that I know. Most think it's a positive thing and one of the reasons they chose the Springfield over a Glock.
  16. And you are missing the point in the answers...

Removing the grip safety will not increase the XD/XDm market appeal, only shift it. For many, the grip safety is a desirable feature on a handgun that is void of any traditional manual safeties. For those of us that actually know how to make use of them, the grip safety adds a nice margin of safety when holstering. Loose the grip safety, and a portion of the market will be lost as well. Most of the whiners that say the grip safety is a deal-breaker for them wouldn't buy the XD/XDm if it didn't have one...they just like to complain. You are one of the ones in that group. As you noted in your opening post the grip safety, among other things, keeps you away. That makes it rather clear that for you, simply removing the grip safety would not make the XD/XDm desirable to you. Bottom line, there is no "one gun" for everyone. Diversity is good. One person's "deal breaker" is another's "deal maker".
    #15 dosei, Mar 7, 2012
  17. For the "among other things" my point is that they are heavier than "like sized" guns often, and I tend to like lighter guns like glocks to carry. Other things is that I can do just about anything to a glock from a repair perspective and I dont know much about the inner workings of an XD. Your being defensive and I was only talking about my own personal experience...
  18. Other than the loaded chamber indicator breaking and rendering the pistol useless the second largest compliant about the XD/XDM in the real world is the grip safety.
  19. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

It's much easier for debris to get in and jam the grip safety of an XD than of a 1911. I've seen it happen. If you never plan on getting your gun dirty, I guess it's a non-issue.
  20. Grip safety, roll pins and load chamber indicators breaking. and being a problem is just useless internet bovine scat. Usually talked about by people who have never once gotten there gun the slightest bit dirty and clean it after every range visit. :rofl:Just got to love the net.

Latest talk on the net is that every gen 4 Glock throws brass in your face. LOL
    #19 Bob Hafler, Mar 7, 2012
  21. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA

The grip safety was not the problem. It was the grip angle. Then it was the rust. Then it was the company support. Then it was the after market support. Then it was just because I liked Glock MORE.