close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Should military force be used to prevent Iran becoming a nuclear power?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Zell, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Naive? No, more like being mature about it. If people are so worried about the price of oil then make the price of oil irrelevant. There are other places we can get oil. Also the idea that a small nation can dictate via fear to a large nation is a sure sign of immaturity.

This "threat" alone should be a catalyst to move forward aggressively for alternatives that WE have at our disposal to make oil and the "threat" it holds irrelevant. The problem again is with people buying into the idea that we can't break the dependence on oil.

Bullshyte, we can if we put our collective mind and effort to it. We have a counter to their threat... food. Again by not meddling into the affairs of other nations, making no allegiance to any side and engaging in open commerce will yield far better global position that using brute force. Having a strong military to defend our nation from unprovoked attack, just like we did when Jefferson sent Marines to Tripoli, is adequate enough.

Tell me, do you get into your neighbors family decisions and business? Do you tell them how to live their lives and how to elect their family leaders? You know damn well if you did you would hit the unpopular list really damn quick. Now imagine if you kept open relations with your neighbor. Engaging in friendly trade and company. Life would be a whole lot better.

It's true on a small scale and it's true on a large scale. You don't go to war just because you don't like what someone is doing. You go to war because they have openly attacked you. And the idea of "pre-emptive" strikes and war is ridiculous and puts YOU the aggressor on the losing side. Even if you win... you still lose.

2. AZ Jeff

AZ Jeff

Your assessment shows more naivete. Since oil prices worldwide are linked, it does not matter WHERE we get our oil. It will ALL go up in price.

Now as far as weaning us off of oil...yes, that can be done. But not in 6 months, not in one year, maybe not in FIVE years. In the meantime, what happens to the economy?

Answer with REALISTIC scenarios.

3. dan1488

dan1488

NO we need to quite trying to be the police force of the world.

4. coastal4974

coastal4974

NO!

We are already in enough wars we can't win. Stop them all can come home.

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I will sleep with ugly Iranian chicks because I serve America.

6. glockurai

glockurai

In the end we may have no other choice. A nuclear Iran will destabilize the region and create an arms race. Iran actively supports terrorist organizations. Can we afford not to act? It is naive to think that a hands off isolationist approach is possible when it comes to foreign affairs. It sounds nice but in reality it would only embolden those who hate us. If we as a nation take a back seat someone else will do the driving.

7. G33

G33 Frisky! Millennium Member CLM

US should throw the towel in.
    All the wimps in GNG need caretakers.
    :)

Outdoor Hub mobile.
    Tin can/string.

8. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Yes. With nukes, Iran can control most of the worlds oil. Without oil Europe comes to a standstill. Russia stopping their oil in support of Iran, even more of Europe is gone.

Russia could walk into Europe and have a party. We would be quite alone. for a short while.

9. alba666

alba666 WWJGD

We already did a black op. Who do you think had the assets to create the Stuxnet virus that trashed bunches of Iranian centrifuges? Slowed them down but did not stop them. With the Iranian elections going to the religious hard liners, you can forget Iran stopping now.

Israel now gets their turn. It will be very messy and expensive once oil prices jump to $200 or so a barrel. Too bad we decided to try to play green politics and shutdown Gulf drilling under Obummer. Now we get to pay. TEOTWAWKI.

Real women have real bodies with lotsa curves so I can hug'em really tight and not get bruises!

10. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

That could have been resolved during the 1970's oil embargo. Had our leadership pulled it's collective head out of it's backside then, then right now we would not be dependent on foreign oil to the extent we are.

Now, well our economy is a complete shambles already so this is a perfect time to tear it down and rebuild it. We can start by bringing many of our jobs that have been exported back home, we can start focusing on all the alternatives out there and making them better. We can do it, Americans are notorious for coming up with some pretty wild and functional ideas that just friggin work.

I hhave to head out with my boss... back in a bit to finish.

11. AZ Jeff

AZ Jeff

I am waiting with baited breath. Based on your statements above, I don't have high hopes.

You need to do some reading on WHY jobs that were exported from the US are staying there. I will give you a hint---it's not due to any one single factor---its a BUNCH of reasons, and no one single fix. In other words, it's unlikely to get fixed in my lifetime, and I am a baby boomer.

12. JackMac

JackMac

take'em out! If we don't Israel will and it won't be long either. They already have the delivery systems.

13. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Well bust out your wallet because the US government is broke.

14. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

What the hell is a neon-con?

15. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

I am going to admit that I don't have an answer let alone a real good idea of how to get things fixed. And I'll even man up and admit when it comes to the finer attributes of policy and politics I am not that good. But there are a lot of people smarter than I am on those matters that do have answers and they know how to get it done. Problem is they get marginalized as kooks, whack jobs and their position and prose completely misconstrued and used against them. All at the detriment of our society and nation.

What I do know is that we can make the changes needed. I also know that no matter what the solution it's going to hurt. How long and how bad it hurts is up to us as a nation, but it's going to. And a lot of people will get screwed in the beginning. But change is always messy and painful. But the long term gain is well worth the short term pain.

So I hope I didn't disappoint you (and to be honest... don't care if I did or not) but the simple fact of the matter is it's readily apparent that how we as a nation have been conducting business these last 50-60 years is not working in our best interest overall. We have been engaged in more conflicts than needed, many of which had we kept our pud pullers out of the affairs of those nation, we wouldn't have been dragged into. It's time we start taking a non-interventionalist stance. Not an isolationist as so many misconstrue from Ron Paul and the other Libertarians.

We need to stop meddling in the affairs of other nations period.

What I find so ironic is how quickly this part of my response is ignored:

"Tell me, do you get into your neighbors family decisions and business? Do you tell them how to live their lives and how to elect their family leaders? You know damn well if you did you would hit the unpopular list really damn quick. Now imagine if you kept open relations with your neighbor. Engaging in friendly trade and company. Life would be a whole lot better.

It's true on a small scale and it's true on a large scale. You don't go to war just because you don't like what someone is doing. You go to war because they have openly attacked you. And the idea of "pre-emptive" strikes and war is ridiculous and puts YOU the aggressor on the losing side. Even if you win... you still lose.
    "

Myself and many others are not advocating a position of weakness, quite the contrary. We are advocating this nation and it's leaders grow up and start acting like adults. Stop getting into other nations business, engage in open commerce and stop telling everyone how great we are. SHOW THEM. Lead by example not by force, coercion or derision.

This is EXACTLY what the founding fathers meant. They did not want the United States to become another global empire based on violence and force. But they did advocate a strong military for SELF DEFENSE!

16. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

A glowing con-artist? :dunno: