close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Should Law Enforcement be armed with rifles & arms other than pistols?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by PlayboyPenguin, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

Jul 19, 2008
    I have concerns with the current trends of militarizing law enforcement agencies. I do not feel law enforcement agencies should be made into small armies. SWAT teams and special response units are one thing, but turning every Joe Squadcar into a highly armed mercenary carrying rifles and other heavier arms is not a good idea IMHO.

2. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    I moved this here from a thread in Carry Issues. And, no, I did not ask the OP if he wanted it moved.

It seems a timely topic considering the events of January.

3. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    LEOs should have access to rifles.

Speaking specifically to my state and it's laws...if I can drive around with a rifle in my car there is no good reason a LEO shouldn't be able to do the same.

4. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

Are "black rifles" evil?

5. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Although you may have concerns about that appearance, perhaps you should be more concerned with armed thugs having the same or similar access to targeting you with said weaponry and you yourself being unprepared for a response to people who would target you with such weaponry, eh?

Thugs do not care about appearances except that they intimidate people, and are better armed than their opposition, which for them includes law enforcement.

6. The-Fly

The-Fly The Bofh

Apr 27, 2005
    Colorado
    Non copper here.

My 2 cents - Why would I want to restrict LE from carrying the most effective firearms possible during an incident?

Hell I'd love to keep my AR in the car if it wasn't for theft concerns.

7. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

Jul 19, 2008
    No more so than pink ones or green ones. It is not the rifles that are the issue. It is the miltarization of organizations that have few oversights and tend to be very closed in their internal operations.

I m in no way anti-LEO. My history here clearly backs up the fact I am not a disgruntled ex-cop. I am very supportive of the entire field. I just am very aware of possible abuses and historical reference.

How did this become a thread started by me? I did not start this thread. Did I hit a wrong button or something. I was responding to a post in another thread.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  8. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

Jul 19, 2008
    Taa Daa...I have my answer. :)

9. Hack

See post #4.

10. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

Jul 19, 2008
    The purpose of law enforcement is to enforce the law, not to wage war on the populace. Militarized police forces and free societies have a bad historical record of coexisting. With what little oversight that exists inside of most agencies, allowing militarization tends to lead to miltant behavior. It is a direct danger to freedom and liberty of the average citizen.

11. Happy Hunting

Happy Hunting

Jul 27, 2010
    DC
    After some of the shady characters I saw leaving a gun show with SKS's and Mini-14's under their arms I absolutely want the cops to have AR's or shotguns, or better yet both, in their squad cars.

12. What is your concern about rifles? Rifles would seem to make LEO's more accurate in shooting and have less over-penetration than many pistol rounds. What "heavier arms" than rifles are patrol officers carrying?

"Mercenary"? That's a provocative term. Do you have some objection to former U.S. military and law enforcement personnel who now work for private military companies? I've spent thirty years being paid and treated...well, by people like you...who hate me and hold me in contempt. What is your issue with those who have had the good judgement to seek employment elsewhere? They are still defending...well, again, people like you...and are now being well-compensated for their service. If you find that objectionable, it is unfortunate you cannot invent a time machine to transport yourself back in time to sound the warning before cutbacks in the military that require "mercenaries".

Thank you for your comment and have a good day.

13. Hack

If I had my way every cop would be armed routinely with side arms and at least have the M16 A2 in their squad, along with a Remington 870 loaded with at minimum 00 Buck back by slugs.

14. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    So in your mind it is okay for bad guys and criminals to be armed with rifles, but not law enforcement.

15. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    :thumbsup:

16. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

Jul 19, 2008
    Are you actually seeing a great deal of crimes committed with rifles? Are you seeing bands of criminals armed with AR's roaming the streets? Are we actually seeing common occurences of law enforcement out gunned by perps armed with semi-auto rifles or is that pretty much just played up by the media?

17. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

Perhaps you could list specifics, instead of generalizations.

18. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Oh, and PlayboyPenguin, see my avatar? Those two patches represent two cops killed this morning by a criminal with a rifle.

Just FYI...

19. OFCJIM40

OFCJIM40 Happy Jaeger

Jan 22, 2001
    Chicago-area, IL.
    Playboy, to be quite honest, I couldn't car less about your concern, and your "concern" quite frankly is asinine. There are heavily armed bad guys out there, and the Patrol Officer is the first on scene, and the myth of SWAT teams falling from the sky to save the day is a myth. The first Officers on scene to an active situation IS the "SWAT Team" at that moment. A badguy doesn't have to be armed with a rifle for me to take out a rifle. If badguy has a handgun, then with a rifle I have time, opportunity and distance to my advantage. Not to mention accuracy is far superior using a rifle instead of handgun. I'm allowed to bring out bigger "toys" than the badguy might have. I'm under no obligation to go tit-for-tat and only pull out the level of weapon the badguy has. I am going home safe, I am protecting the public, and I will have superior firepower available if I need it. If someone gets their panty's in a bunch over the "appearance" of it, go pound, you aren't going through the door with me. As I'm rushing into danger, you are running in the other direction. Sorry, not your moment to be comcerned anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.