close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Should I reload??

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by dereklord, Apr 20, 2010.

1. dereklord

dereklord

Feb 6, 2010
    North Carolina
    Okay, I see the stickies here, but I want updated information...is it worth it for me to reload? I am really looking into it and dont mind the initial cost. I also dont put too much premium on my personal time as I am sure that it takes a great deal of it to reload alot of ammo. I am a bit sick of paying sooooo much for .45 ammo and want a cheaper way to target shoot. So, barring the cost and time spent...is it financially (and mentally) worth it? Thanks for any replies.

Derek

2. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    The stickies might not have been put up yesterday... but in the overall scheme of things are plenty "updated".

Yes, there is a cost involved with getting into reloading, but the benefits are countless.
    1) The ammo you produce will be cheaper, and if you are only somewhat detail oriented will still be better quality.
    2) You can produce loads that are difficult to purchase
    3) Assuming you can get ahold of primers (the ONE component in short supply right now)... you can have ammo anytime you want it.

3. srd

srd

Apr 4, 2009
    ok..lets see ...you like 45acp. After the inital cost of the reloading equitment. Lets come close to a nice factory load thats popular. 230fmj from PD..116.00...30.00 for primers and 17.00 for a pound of Bullseye. 5 grains of powder per load. ok...$158.14 to load 1,000 rounds. Thats assuming you saved your brass from the factory loads you have been shooting. YES its worth it. ( some pricing on components may vary]

4. BK63

BK63

Sep 15, 2005
    CT
    Reloading is also part of the hobby. Otherwise, what they said.

5. coachg

coachg

Dec 7, 2007
    It's worth it financially, esp for 45.

Disclaimer: You won't spend less, actually there is a good chance you will spend a good deal more but you will shoot more and have a new, enjoyable, and rewarding hobby.

Also, you will buy many new guns so you have new calibers to reload. :supergrin:

6. M4J0R T0M

M4J0R T0M

Jan 8, 2010
    GA
    Yes and Yes.

The only reasons NOT to reload, would be the initial cost and time spent reloading. Since you stated these won't be issues of concern for you, get started NOW. Just a thought about getting started. Some people will say go progressive and some people will say single stage. The progressive will be much faster but cost more to get started, the single stage is much cheaper but doesn't turn out the volume like a progressive will. I might suggest a single stage for you since time isn't an issue, then you can spend the difference on more loading components.

I am still new to reloading and I am already contracting a severe case of HLD (hand-loaders disease). Not only will reoalding save you money but you could have some fun also.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  7. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    No! It's definitely not worth it. Well, after every other poster replied yes, I figured someone had to say no, it wasn't worth it, but just kidding. Not only is it worth it, but it takes you to another level of enjoyment in your sport. It's not quite as fun as shooting, but right up there with it! At least to me. I spend most of the winter months loading up for the next three seasons of shooting.

8. tlafrance

tlafrance Missing AZ

Feb 5, 2001
    Connecticut
    Yes. Be aware it is a sickness that can get out of control. Take a look at Jack for example:supergrin:

Tom

9. BBJones

BBJones

Mar 2, 2010
    The start up cost and time spent loading are the 2 major downsides. If you eliminate them from consideration, it is 100% worth it. If you are not the type of person who enjoys learning and tinkering, then reloading may not be for you.

10. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO

If your goal in life is to lose half your stuff every three years or so through divorce you may want to consider loading.

If population control is your social passion you'll by necessity limit the amount of children you bring into this world since you'll always need that extra bedroom as a loading room.

If you look forward to the holiday shopping season so you can arm yourself with a pair of pliers and pilfer wheel weights in crowded parking lots you may want to consider loading.

If your idea of an active and exciting social life is going on a singles Caribbean cruise and spending 'free love' night sitting in a deck chair reading Elmer Keith, you may want to consider loading.

If the thought of ordering 24500 grains of hamburger from the butcher instead of three and a half pounds excites you you may want to consider loading.

If you enjoy hanging out with a bunch of degenerates through the anonymity of the internet on a gun forum you may want to consider loading.

If, on the other hand, you are intrigued with the idea of hanging out with folks dressed in plaid polyester pants and V-neck sweaters you may want to consider bowling or golf.

(May I suggest substituting sex for bowling... the balls are lighter and you don't have to change your shoes.)

I wish you all the best with your decision. :whistling:

Jack

11. chemcmndr

chemcmndr

Aug 23, 2008
    Beavercreek, OH

This is starting to sound like "You might be a Redneck if..."

12. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

Mar 26, 2009
    Spencer Indiana
    Even after you get every must have cool tool and gadget for the loading bench and spend all your $
    Then there's casting !:faint:

:supergrin:

Bob

13. dereklord

dereklord

Feb 6, 2010
    North Carolina
    Wow! I guess I will be reloading here in the near future. I guess over the next few weeks / months I will be buying the reloading equipment and the components for the ammo as well as saving as much brass as is humanly possible. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks! :wavey:

14. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    You can make ammo just for you, make good ammo cheaper than store bought, it can become a very fun hobby and you don't have to worry about finding ammo.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  15. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    That pretty much says it all.:supergrin: Every serious shooter needs to reload or work for the govt to supply them their practice ammo or be rich enough to buy the 10K+ rounds a year you'll need.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  16. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    EXACTLY why I got into reloading. Last year, 9mm was practically unavailable, and to a large extent still is (I'm talking affordable 9mm ammo such as $20.00 WWB value packs (100 count) at Wally World.

I can load 1000 rounds for $138, and that's using a pricey 147MG CMJ. Switch to molys (or cast?) and the price drops significantly.

17. das9mm26

das9mm26

Oct 27, 2009
    Besides the cost-reduction factor...and being able to "tailor" your loads to the type of shooting you do.....reloading allows you to work at YOUR OWN PACE!!!
    if you like taking things easy, a single-stage press will work fine and turn out a finished product equally as good as that produced from a progressive loader costing hundreds of $$ more.....Depending on how much you shoot - and what caliber(s)- you'll find you'll recoup the initial equipment cost quickly!!!
    Then...it's ALL GOOD!!! Now, besides shooting....you've found another new hobby that saves you money and (hopefully.....) helps you relax!
    I've just started "down the road" myself (.45ACP only, for now.....) with a Dillon 550B.....One thing I'm glad I did, up front....I got a couple of reloading manuals (Lyman's 49th Edition and "The A-B-C's of Reloading")...and READ....and RE-READ them before I spent a penny for equipment...This act alone probably saved me HUNDREDS of dollars!!
    Bottom line....Is it WORTH it??? IMHO...ABSOLUTELY!
    If you're CAREFUL in preparation.....and are good at FOLLOWING ALL INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER....you should have no trouble!
    A new, FUN hobby...that saves money...and the pride of being able to say:
    "I MADE IT MYSELF!"
    Whats NOT to love???????
    Good Luck.......and STAY SAFE!!

18. Maine1

Maine1

Jul 20, 2007
    Maine
    well..

before reloading, i was a mediocre handgun shot. i bought fixed ammunition, and shot it up only to replace it. I was totally reliant on somebody else, the supply system, and overtime to get ammo.

after reloading: i know my guns up one side and down the other, i know alot more about ammunition, how it works, what makes it fail/succeed. I am a much better shot,thanks to having much more trainig ammo available. I have much more ammo on hand. During the little ammo crunch, i had ammo...many people i knew did not.

I say go for it. If you have the money, i recomend a Dillon 550b. Get the strong mount, bullet tray and brass bin holder as well. USE the dillon customer service, as they answer questions on general reloading too..and they have helped me alot.

19. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

Oct 24, 2009
    exactly