close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Should I get rid of my 30?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by KyleMN, Mar 20, 2012.

1. KyleMN

KyleMN

I am thinking of trading my 30 for a new gen4 19 or 23 for a few reasons. I also think I can trade or cover most of the cost with trade because I get the LEO/Military discount.

1. I've noticed the 30 is pretty thick and I prefer OWB carry and it is warming up where I am so its getting much harder to conceal.
    2. Ammo doesn't break the bank but its not cheap either compared to 9mm more so than the .40S&W.
    3. Not that it is a major factor but more rounds in the magazine is always nice.
    4. With cheaper ammo I can shoot more and become more proficient.

I am leaning more towards the 23 because I can change the barrel to a 9mm but I'd also have to get new mags anyway so I go right back to thinking the 19 will be better if I have to buy a barrel and at least 3 mags anyway. I'm stuck and can't make up my mind and I'd like outside thinking for this.

2. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

So exactly how much weight and size are you getting rid of by trading down to a 19/23?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

3. KyleMN

KyleMN

It's the thickness of the 30 that is the problem not the weight or length.

4. PettyOfficer

PettyOfficer

That's what she said....

5. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

These threads pop up all the time and since I have never seen the width of the 30 as a problem (I carry IWB) and didn't know what the exact difference was.

Now I see it is .1"; I don't see an issue, but it is your gun, holster, belt combo and your body type so you know what is best for you.

6. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

You will like the 23. :thumbsup:

7. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

The 30 was my first personal weapon so it's hard for me to say to trade it. I wouldn't, but I have a sickness where I collect Glocks.:supergrin:

But, your reasoning is sound. If you want to do it---go for it. I love my 23 and I have a LW conversion barrel as well.
    [​IMG]

8. evilspringer

evilspringer

I have a 30 and a gen 4 19. The 19 is a bit lighter but I still carry my 30 more often.

9. KyleMN

KyleMN

It's mostly my body time that makes concealing the 30 difficult at 5'8" and maybe 150lbs I'm fairly small.

10. evilspringer

evilspringer

I am 5'5 and 150#. I carry my 30 in a Kholster at about 3:00.
    I carry all day without issues and no one notices.

11. Keoking

Keoking

Have you shot a G19 yet? Your hand will notice the difference in grip size, and it may matter when you shoot. My G30 feels like a brick, but I can grip it more comfortably while actually shooting. A 9mm/40 Glock feels more comfortable to hold, but when the shooting starts, my grip isn't as sound.

12. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL

Yes and get the 23 . More rounds , skinnier ...... :whistling:

13. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

I just got my 30SF and carry it in a IWB holster as well its no different than carrying my Gen4 23, or my Gen3 27, I just got it today and it fits my had like a glove so to speak, not to mention I shoot it better than my 27 already LOL, but Im still the best with my 23, IF ya can swing it just keep your 30 and get the 23 as its a great weapon to convert to 9mm, and 357sig, wife has a G19 and its nice as well.. if ya want more rounds just get a 21 mag for the 30??

14. PattonT

PattonT

I have wanted to like the 30's but they feel to weird. I have bought 2 of them only to sale them. I love 19/23 and 26/27 so much more.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  15. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

The width of the G30 hasn't been an issue for me either (see G19 and G30 below). I'm average height and build and carry IWB or AIWB. My girlfriend deals with her G30SF with a variety of holster types to suit her outfit and it's a lot harder for the ladies than guys because their clothing tends to be more form fitting.

If the width is uncomfortable and hard to conceal IWB for the OP, then he should make a change (or add another pistol to his collection). His other reasons are valid.

Personally, I would choose the G19 over the G23 because the G19 model and 9mm caliber are so popular in the civilian market that suppliers always support it with their product offerings.

Frankly, I would be sad to leave .45ACP for any other caliber, but that's just me. The G30 is a formidable home defense pistol with a 17-rd mag and 30-rd mags on standby. Unlike the other Glock sub-compacts, it has a rail for a tac light.

When these threads come up, causing me to temporarily consider giving up my G30SF, I think of giving up the ability to quickly convert it to 10mm with a barrel/mag swap and I stop thinking about it. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  16. KyleMN

KyleMN

If I wanted to keep it and IWB carry to conceal it, I'd have to get all new pants since I don't like really loose fitting clothing and I'd just be easier to change the gun rather than the clothes.

17. MinnesnowtaWild

MinnesnowtaWild

Nobody cares if the Glock 30 works for you guys. The OP is saying he would prefer a thinner gun and I don't blame him...it's his preference.

Go with the G23 and get a 9mm barrel for days you feel like shooting for cheaper.

18. Slug71

Slug71

19. USSOCOM

USSOCOM

I shoot the 30SF the best and is my EDC.

20. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

I recently traded my 30 for my 19. Before I traded it i found I was carrying my air weight more and more due to the size of 30. I now carry my 19 daily and it is a lot more comfortable. On a plus side I use the factory +2 and have 18 rds compared to 11.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine