close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Should i clean my glocks immediately after shooting???

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Police305, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Police305

Police305
    Expand Collapse

I usually clean my Glocks as soon as I get home from the range, but I was just wondering if its really necessary to clean them right away???...i mean can the ammo corrode the inside of the barrel?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. SJ 40

SJ 40
    Expand Collapse

The only gun/guns I clean sooner rather than later would be a gun that I CCW or one I have shot black powder out of,other than that they will keep till I get the time to clean them.
    A firearm shot with smokeless powder and non mercuric priming is not going to rust if not cleaned immediately. SJ 40

3. robhic

robhic
    Expand Collapse
    WOLVERINE!!!!
    Platinum Member Gold Member

I clean as soon as I return home, too. I think a lot of people do ... and a lot don't. Seems, IMO, to be a personal thing. I like to clean and get it done without letting things sit. I don't think it's imperative you do so, I just like my guns clean.

4. ignantmike

ignantmike
    Expand Collapse

sometimes i do sometimes i don't.....

5. solvability

solvability
    Expand Collapse

Good practice to clean on return but needless as a policy.

6. Finestkind

Finestkind
    Expand Collapse

I usually clean them within the week. A lot of times I may go to the range but not get time to clean them until later.

Finestkind

7. W.E.G.

W.E.G.
    Expand Collapse

Probably the most important part of "cleaning" is INSPECTION.

If something is broken, or breaking, you may not notice it if you just shove the gun back in the plastic holster without a close inspection.

As for "cleaning," it takes all of two minutes to wipe off the boltface and push a patch through the bore.

Glock recommends an annual detailed inspection by an armorer.
    You can learn enough about your gun by just watching youtube vids, that you can do your own inspections.

...and you SHOULD.

8. dhgeyer

dhgeyer
    Expand Collapse

People do all kinds of things with respect to maintaining firearms these days. As SJ 40 says, there is nothing in the ammunition fouling that will harm metal or plastic. I guess the only caveat would be if you live in a very damp and/or salty environment you would probably want to get a coating of oil on exposed metal surfaces, although with today's coatings even that may not be needed.

Some people run AR15's for thousands of rounds with no maintenance. Others, like me, run them for hundreds of rounds, which would be several range sessions over weeks or even months, only making sure that they are well lubricated. Due to the direct impingement gas system on the AR15, the action gets many times dirtier than a Glock. The conventional wisdom is that they'll run as long as you keep them "wet". This has certainly been my experience.

With a Glock, I would go more by the round count than time. I don't tend to do a lot of shooting in one range session, so I don't clean them every time I shoot them. I think that would be a waste of time and materials.

The exception, as has been pointed out, is what I carry. I want that clean and freshly (lightly) oiled.

9. DWARREN123

DWARREN123
    Expand Collapse
    Grumpy Old Guy

On my CCW I do a fast clean before I leave the range other I sometimes clean after but sometimes I dom't.
    Doesn't seem to matter much if using good, clean ammo. :supergrin:

10. barth

barth
    Expand Collapse
    six barrels

I usually clean the guns immediately after shooting.
    But if I'm shooting at lunch, I'll wait till I get off work.

11. Arc Angel

Arc Angel
    Expand Collapse
    Deus Vult!

I usually do; but I have, also, gone for as long as 3 or 4 days before cleaning a gun that's been fired with modern (American-made) smokeless powder and primers. Right now I'm not, however, going to clean the valuable old S&W Model 41 that I fired all this afternoon. (It's a, 'primo gun'; but I'm tired; and it can wait!) It will be laid out on my brand new Glock mat and thoroughly cleaned tomorrow morning, though. ;)

#11 Arc Angel, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  12. F350

F350
    Expand Collapse

Clean a GLOCK after every shooting???????

People really do that??? I clean mine a couple, 3 times a year; in testing Glocks have gone 100,000+ rounds without cleaning.

13. RLE

RLE
    Expand Collapse

If I have to shoot at lunch, I will probably have the afternoon off.
    I always clean as soon as possible after shooting, just habit.

14. Indianashooter

Indianashooter
    Expand Collapse

I usually clean my Glock(s) and other guns when I get home from the range. It's kind of relaxing. As it happened, I didn't clean my G19 last Friday night after I got home from a zombie shoot house that I went to after work. I just shot 30 frangible rounds (damn dirty assed rounds). Got home from the range today after shooting several hundred rounds (plus two other guns) and cleaned them all. I didn't have a single problem.

15. dango

dango
    Expand Collapse

Out here in the boonies where I live, I shoot as much as I can afford , twice a week normally so I do clean them a lot.plus I got pretty, shiny barrels.........! :supergrin:

16. itstime

itstime
    Expand Collapse

I used to but it may take while nowadays. They are cleaned before I take them back out shooting though.

17. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20
    Expand Collapse
    LongTerm-Guy

Always...like clockwork...Clean & inspect after shooting (always want them ready and fresh).....makes me feel good..... any way... I like the smell of them after cleaning.

18. WinterWizard

WinterWizard
    Expand Collapse

Some people like to take care of their stuff, like changing your oil every 3,000-5,000 rather than wait until your engine sludges up ... or clean your Glock after every range visit rather than wait for it to malfunction or the barrel to be so filthy that a slingshot would be more accurate.

19. et45

et45
    Expand Collapse

It should be detail stripped and cleaned after EVERY!!! round you fire.It should take 10-12 hrs to shoot a 50 rd box of ammo

Sorry had to say that,you got people on here who think you have to clean a gun once a week even if it hasn't been fired.

20. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20
    Expand Collapse
    LongTerm-Guy

To each their own Brother....Ya...sometimes I clean `em just before I go to the Range after it was already cleaned from the last time i got back from the range....also they're wiped down daily....sometimes twice a day....I know them inside-out....and can clean `em blind-folded...I am learning to clean `em one handed....cause I can.:wavey: