Should I buy a Rossi 92? 1 hr to decide.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Chuck66, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

Wal-mart has 2 Rossi .357 levers. A 16" and a 20". They stop selling at 10:00, so I'll need to head out shortly. Anyone know anything about Rossis at Wally world? Are they special runs that have variances from the regular Mod. 92s? The ones I inspected looked pretty nice for $439 + tax/NICS. Tempting. What says GT?

Thanks! :wavey:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

Just to be clear, I'm sold on the Rossi overall, just wondering if anyone knows if the Wal-mart guns are run-of-the-mill Rossis or some type of special model that might be less desirable than the standard gun. I'm not familiar enough with the standard gun to spot differences.

3. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

4. waiting for pics!

5. I just bought a Rossi 16" 357 also today. I even found ammo for it!

I've been looking for a year for a Marlin in 357, and can't find one unless I want to pay $800 plus shipping.

Rossi seems well liked by owners and even by folks with several makes/models of lever guns.

I get to shoot it tomorrow!

Should be fun.

6. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

Congrats! I've been doing the same thing, watching for a JM stamped Marlin. Keep seeing .44s, but no .357s. I lucked in to the Rossi today, after passing on one a few weeks ago. I wandered by sporting goods at Walmart just to see if they had any ammo at all, and was walking away when I heard another guy say "what caliber is that" and when I heard the clerk say "It's a .357 Rossi" I did a 180, and checked it out. Clerk said they got them to fill the void in the case left by the ARs, but that there wouldn't be any more once these were gone. Friday's my birthday. I guess the universe wanted me to have an early present. :supergrin: Can't wait to put some leather on it and some rounds down range.

7. I paid $100 more, but I am still happy.

8. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

Well, I said pics forthcoming, but I didn't get home before dark, so they suck. But, here they are. :embarassed:

[​IMG]

The right side of the receiver has a couple of minor blemishes in the blue, but the entire rest of the metal all looks really nice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wood is prettier than what's on the new Marlins. I'm wondering if I can oil it and make it look a little richer. It's all pretty smooth except for a little rough edge where the foregrip meets the front of the receiver on the left side.
    [​IMG]

All-in-all, after getting it wiped down and having a chance to play a little tonight, I'm really happy. The lever is a little clunky, but not offensively so. The trigger is not too heavy, and is very smooth with little travel and a nice clean break. As long as it feeds and ejects reliably, I doubt this one's going anywhere soon. :cool:

9. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

I would be too. That's still much better than not having the gun you want. You'll get your money's worth out of it for sure in the fun department.

#9 Chuck66, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  10. Very accurate little carbine.

Out of the box, dead-on at 50yds with 357mag ammo.

I was surprise how much kick the little gun has.

.38 ammo is in the mail and should be here Friday. (or next Friday, everyone is backup right now!)

11. The M-92 by Rossi is a excellent rifle. In .357 it is wonderful for plinking, etc. w/ .38 Specials. Loaded w/ .357 Mag. ammo, it works well on small and medium game up to hogs and deer. Fine rifle. Very fine rifle indeed.

12. Congrats! I've been wanting one of those and a 357 revolver to match for awhile.

Maybe as a graduation gift....there's just something about lever actions that are sexy.

13. i ordered the rossi 92 in .357 mag a couple of days ago. should get here in a bit over a week. i opted for the large lever ring and the 16" barrel.

i have spent the last couple of days 'readin' up' on the little rossi, and i feel i made a good choice. availability and price were factors that helped me make my decision.

this is a pic i stole off the 'net.

14. Nice rifle enjoy

15. If I could find a .357 lever gun with a 16" barrel and the same pistol grip style stock as my Marlin 336, it'd be really hard for me to resist. It seems that all of the .357s have the straight style stock. I just don't like the contour of it nearly as much.

16. Texas357

Texas357 Señor Member
    CLM

Those are fun guns. Surprised they aren't more popular. Anybody who has a .357 mag revolver ought to have one.

17. tedwhite

Millennium Member

I have one. Reliable, accurate, fun. With 357 ammo it turns into a serious rifle.