Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Should I buy a BCM 14.5" Mid Length Upper Receiver?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by funwith45, Feb 11, 2012.

1. funwith45

Oct 12, 2007
    I just finished building my first lower (Noveske with DD internals and Magpul accessories) ) and I am thinking about buying a BCM Standard 14.5" Mid Length Upper Receiver with DD rail. Does anybody know who makes the barrels and how accurate the barrels are? I thought about buying a Noveske 14.5 upper but the BCM is so much cheaper.

Any help would be great. Thanks
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Noveske barrels are about as good as they get! However, 95% of shooters
    are not accurate enough to make the difference between it and a BCM.
    BCM barrels are VERY good quality!

3. mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    My BCM 14.5 LW is capable of much more than I am.
  4. i'm in the opposite boat as you, i have my upper completely built and i'm waiting on my bcm lower to be sent out by G&R.

i went with a bcm 14.5" standard barrel with dd 12.0 lite rail and battle comp 1.5. got the bcm bcg and gunfighter mod 4 charging handle, bcm/troy folding rear sight and troy m4 style fixed front sight.

obviously i haven't shot it yet, but just from handling and my previous experience with ARs/m4s the bcm upper is awesome and i also really like the dd rail. for an extra $100 or so you can get the hammer forged barrel. all my shooting will be within 300 yards so i didn't find that to be necessary and opted to spend the money on other accessories and ammo.

5. This is good advice.
  6. thisaway

thisaway Moderator

Jan 11, 2000
    Soddy Daisy, Tenn.
    My three-gun/SHTF rifle:

1) BCM 14.5-inch standard mid-length, triangle FSB, fixed A2X FH
    2) BCM IonBond BCG
    3) Troy folding rear BUIS
    4) DD Omega rail w/ladder covers (OD)
    5) MagPul AFG1 (OD)
    6) Aimpoint H1 RDS, LaRue LT-660 QD mount

7) LMT Defender lower
    8) MagPul MIAD grip (OD)
    9) MagPul CTR stock (OD)
    10) Spec-Ops Patrol two-point sling (black, haven't gotten a green one yet)

I really, really like the 14.5-inch upper. It is relatively light, very handy/maneuverable, and quite accurate even with steel-cased ammo. I am well satisfied with this BCM product.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  7. I do have a question with the 14.5" midlength. After letting go of my Noveske 14.5 with carbine length gas system (to a guy who wanted it real bad) I'm eyeing a 14.5" midlength. What buffer should be used with this set-up, standard carbine or H buffer? Thanks!
  8. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Derail: Glad to see the Comedian button back as your avatar... :supergrin:
  9. Fwdftw

Apr 18, 2009
    Hernando MS
    Im still up in the air about a 14.5 i really want one but then again.. i dont know if id be satisfied with the a2 vs BC
  10. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    The BC 1.5 will bring a 14.5" out to 16" once pinned/welded.
  11. BCM recommends the H buffer with their 14.5 midlength.
  12. Great. That's what I have. Thanks!
  13. sorry, i mispoke. this is from their website:

"These 14.5" mid length gas barreled upper receiver groups have been specifically tuned to be a very soft and fast shooting set up. They are a joy to shoot, but please feed it good ammo. With good milspec pressured ammo we have been running H buffers. We do not recommend using lower powered ammo. If using less than milspec pressured ammo, it may be best to run a standard carbine buffer."
  14. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    cogan station, pa, usa
    I just don't like having a pinned options on 14.5" but I have one also and a few 16's and 20's, Mike.
  15. Oh okay. I'll see if it will run with .223 (for practice) before investing in a carbine buffer. Thanks!
  16. thisaway

thisaway Moderator

Jan 11, 2000
    Soddy Daisy, Tenn.
    I run an "H" buffer in the rifle I listed above and it has evinced no problems even with the cheap steel-cased .223 ammo.
  17. Fwdftw

Apr 18, 2009
    Hernando MS
    Oh i know. im just saying I cant decide if its worth the money to get the bc over the a2x
  18. I just ordered the BCM 14.5" LW A2X Middy Upper from Grant at G&R Tactical. The waiting game begins...
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  19. stopatrain

stopatrain Lifetime Member

Aug 28, 2005
    BCM is very good. Love my 16" LW Middy.
  20. Disregarded9-side

Disregarded9-side Armchair IPSCer

Oct 18, 2008
    North Carolina
    I would go with a 16" if you're set on a midlength gas system. 14.5"s best in carbine length. Not that it doesn't work extremely well.
    I guess I just don't really feel the "subjectively softer shooting" difference of the midlength, nor do I burn through bolts. It would annoy me if the gas system didn't like my starting loads when working up a charge. I think the 16" midlength is the perfect civilian AR.