close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Should I be Worried?!?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by dblong, Oct 23, 2012.

1. dblong

dblong
    Expand Collapse

Hello, All

After owning over 10 pistols, I am a proud owner of my first Glock! Love It! I finally see what all the fuss is about and couldn't be happier with the purchase. The knowledge gained from this forum helped me greatly as well in buying the firearm. The Size, weight, capacity, and trigger/accuracy have been phenomenal. No FTF or FTE so far on 125 rounds (50 S&B 124gn, 50 Independence 115gn, 25 Hornady Critical Defense) Ejection has been GREAT as well, even though I was concerned about the 336 ejector.

Gen 3 19
    Ser# TKNxxx
    Test Fire: June 2012
    Ejector: 336

My main concern for this post is how incredibly close the ejector is to contacting the primer when unloading a live round. To investigate further I put a piece of electrical tape on the base of the cartridge and ejected. The results showed me where the contact is happening and gave me cause for concern. The tape was scared by the ejector just barely away from the primer as well as on the edge of the primer itself. After taking off the tape there is a barely noticeable mark on the primer. Not enough to ignite in anyway, but nonetheless I could tell some small amount of contact was made
    I don’t eject a live round with much force and the round does kick out of the gun fine. My worries are that over time, could the ejector bend ever so slightly to cause a potential AD? I’ve never seen an ejector hit this close to the primer in any of my other handguns. In fact, it’s the opposite. Most contact is made near the edge of the case far away from the primer.

Is this common on 9mm Glocks?

Should I be concerned, or I am I being overly cautious?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!

Attached Files:

2. DannyR

DannyR
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Millennium Member

It is perfectly normal.

3. jbglock

jbglock
    Expand Collapse

Never had it light off the primer. Never even heard of it happening.

4. nspector

nspector
    Expand Collapse

I would only be cautious about unloading a live round. If you reach your hand over the top of the slide to manipulate it, avoid the ejection port. I've read several instances of and have seen pictures of hand injuries from rounds set off in this way. I'm sure it would still be a surprise if it happened, but you will avoid injury if you keep your fingers and hand from covering the ejection port. I also turn any handgun so that the ejection port is pointing towards the ground while ejecting a live round, that way if something were to happen it's in a better direction (away from my face).

Mike

#4 nspector, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  5. dango

dango
    Expand Collapse

OMHO , give it about 2000 rnds. and call me in the morning .
    No , I wouldn't think of that or worry , just be safe , practice
    and stay observant.....!

6. Mister X

Mister X
    Expand Collapse

Remember NEVER CATCH AN EJECTED LIVE ROUND IN YOUR HAND! This is true from a Glock or any other semi-automatic pistol.While uncommon, a live round has been known to go off when ejected by contact from the ejector with the primer. I had the same concern once and asked Mas Ayoob about it who verified that it could and has indeed happend and to use appropriate safety precautions(such as not catching it in your hand etc.) when ejecting a live round.

7. dblong

dblong
    Expand Collapse

Thanks everyone! Please keep thoughts/opinions coming. The only time i eject a live round is after a day of CCW'ing. While I always eject in a safe manner, for this pistol I'm gonna make sure to cycle the slide extra slow to release the round. Can't be too safe

Side Note: Just got home from the range with another 100 rnds thru my 19. I purposefully bought Wal-Mart Federal 115gn to see how they cycled. No FTF or FTE! However I did get to experience the infamous BTTF. Occured 2-3 rnds a magazine. It didnt concern me too much because I was too focused on the giant hole I was making on the target:cool::cool:.

8. SCC

SCC
    Expand Collapse
    Member Me

the range that i go to has a picture of a guys hand that a round went off in his hand ..
    his hand was over the ejection port and it was a .45 ... it looked bad to me :shocked:

9. Arc Angel

Arc Angel
    Expand Collapse
    Deus Vult!

:wavey: Welcome to the club!

My own BTF problems didn't start until after I'd fired 3,000 + rounds. So, compared to my new Glock 19, you're off to an early start! :supergrin:

10. dblong

dblong
    Expand Collapse

^^ Thanks

So I guess that if this is where all ejectors hit the the brass on 9mm Glocks I'll just not worry about it and continue safe live round ejection. Being that this my first Glock, I just dont know if mine happens to be slightly out of spec and that I should remedy it with a new ejector. Not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, just curious.

11. Photoman642

Photoman642
    Expand Collapse

Amazing. I've been futzing around with handguns since the 70's and never heard of this happening.

12. dusty_dragon

dusty_dragon
    Expand Collapse

how is the "safe way" to eject a live round from the chamber?
    just pull the slide back slowly in order to not hit the primer hard with the ejector?
    what about malfunction clearing, suppose it's meant to be fast and with power, so what about the danger of an AD due to a primer being striked by the ejector?

13. nspector

nspector
    Expand Collapse

I think that a malfunction is more likely to be with an empty case than with a live round. If is has failed to fire by getting hit by the firing pin, I'm not sure how concerned I would be with the primer hitting the ejector. At the same time, I think slamming the slide back to eject a live round that has not failed to fire is a bad idea. If training, it's probably better to grab the slide from the back, turn it ejection port down, and slowly eject the live round. If my weapon failed, and my life depended on it, I'm not going to care....my hand is going over the top of the slide and it's getting racked hard.

Mike

#13 nspector, Oct 23, 2012
  14. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't worry about it but I also wouldn't eject the round into my hand.

15. CAT 1000B

CAT 1000B
    Expand Collapse

Don't worry about it and shoot the heck out of it. I also have a 19 and 26 that occasionally hit me in the face with brass if I'm using cheap target loads, but never hit me with good self defense loads. I'm fine with that.

16. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo
    Expand Collapse
    USN Retired

Thanks! I have not heard of this, either.
    I am a lefty and until now have turned my guns ejection port down, pulled slide back with right hand, caught live round in right palm and operated slide lock with right thumb.
    I reckon I will have to change my ways.

17. rickyp

rickyp
    Expand Collapse

What is the numbers on the ejector?

18. voyager4520

voyager4520
    Expand Collapse
    -----

There shouldn't be anywhere near enough energy from racking the slide with a live round to detonate the primer. If you're really worried about it though you could get a Gen4 9mm trigger housing that has the "Gen4" 30274 ejector, remove the Gen3 trigger housing from the frame, then pull the ejectors out of each trigger housing and put the 30274 ejector into the Gen3 trigger housing so you could use it in your Gen3. There's no way the broad tip of the 30274 ejector could indent the primer enough to detonate it.

Though if ejection has been great with the 336 ejector I'd keep that ejector in the gun. 9mm Glocks have used 336 ejectors for close to two decades and I've never heard a single instance of the ejector detonating a primer.

#18 voyager4520, Oct 23, 2012
  19. dblong

dblong
    Expand Collapse

For me it starts with muzzle in safe direction/finger of the trigger and racking the slide gently back and letting the round fall out. In the case of a racking the slide to clear a jam in a training situation at the range or in real life could potentially cause an AD if the ejector were to flex or move any further to the right (if thats possible I dont know)
    As of right now I'm starting to feel that everything is okay bc the primer is recessed in the case by seveal thousanths of an inch and the ejector is going to always hit brass first bc of that.

The few BTF with the the Wal_mart Federal were hardly noticed bc of what a pleasure this gun it is to shoot! Like you, it was only with cheap stuff. Would there be any disadvantage of putting the #30274 in it?? Just wondering

20. dblong

dblong
    Expand Collapse

Good Info - This Forum is great. Thanks again for everyone's input. I think I'm leave the 336 in there for now unless there is some overwhelming reason to change it down the road