close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Should I be happy with a Gen3 G19?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by aberchonbie, May 10, 2012.

1. aberchonbie

aberchonbie

So I picked my new G19 yesterday night and while inspecting it, I realized it was a Gen3 not 4!

Living in Los Angeles, there aren't many gun shops. One LGS had a G19 for $620 which I thought was ridiculous. I found another bigger store that had a promotion for $530 which I jumped on. I incorrectly assumed it would be a Gen4 not a Gen3 (I figured out it was Gen3 because it didn't have Gen4 printed next to the 19 on the slide after I brought it home. It also didn't have the different texture on the frame itself.)

The Gen3 feels good in my hands and it looks great! I just need some opinions on what to do with this gun as I really want to love it. (It's my first firearm purchase, and I am itching to take it to the range but I'm afraid it will decrease resale value if your opinions are to get a Gen4)

2. Creatism

Creatism

Looking at a 19 myself. My suggestion buy a bunch of ammo and shoot it!

Typed from my iPhone.

3. brickboy240

brickboy240

I am not happy with mine.

If you dig getting hit in the head with flying brass...you will be happy. if not....not so much.

BTW, this does not show up until you have over 500rds through it.

- brickboy240

4. matta704

matta704

I have both. I would just love the 3rd gen and enjoy it because it is an awesome gun. Biggest difference in the 3rd and 4th is the recoil spring and I don't think its a big deal on the 9mm.
    Just my opinion

5. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Relax. 3rd gen glock 19s are personally my favorite, along with many others.

Shoot it, and shoot it a lot. It's probably one of the more reliable and durable glocks out there. It WILL OUT LAST you.

6. Mitch10mm

Mitch10mm

I had the choice of gen 4 or gen 3. I chose the 3rd gen and love it.

7. aberchonbie

aberchonbie

I've been reading up on this forum for a while and read a lot of the posts about ejections to the face/head area. I thought the ejection issue was supposed to go away after the break in period, not start occurring after 500rounds?

I guess I will have to shoot this baby to find out. Also, there are fixes for the ejection issue correct? I believe my g19 had a test fire date stamp of around either Nov. or Dec. 2011 (Can't remember since I'm at work right now)

8. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

I have both; my Gen3's been awesome and the Gen4 had issues. If your Gen3 is running properly--be happy and shoot it a lot :supergrin:

[​IMG]

9. OctoberRust

"Ejection" issues are blown out of proportion by a gigantic number of GT users here. When you've shot multiple makes and models of pistols, you will learn that a good amount do not eject it in the pattern of one's name, or a 4 inch grouping. Ironically enough, if they worried about their groupings on the target, they probably wouldn't notice where their brass is going.

Just look at the thread I created in this subforum that was supposed to be tongue in cheek humor. The newbs were offended to the max over it. :rofl:

10. mtnglide

mtnglide

Had a Gen 3 for a while now and love it. Haven't had a BB (beaned with brass) problem yet. At this point, I wouldn't trade it for a Gen 4. Might buy a Gen 4 to go along with the Gen 3. Hmmmm.................

11. ijacek

ijacek

Same here! I love mine, have not had any problems with it. I carry it daily and I am very satisfied with it.

12. brickboy240

brickboy240

Like I said..my ejection issues did not START until about round number 700-800. Before that...yeah..it was perfect and I too was all "what the heck are you guys talking about...these are great...blah blah."

You have been warned.

Come back and tell us how wonderful it is when you have 800-100 rounds, please. Good chance you too will be dodging brass like many of us.

- brickboy240

13. 09crue

09crue

you did yourself a favor getting the gen3,keep it and enjoy it!!!

14. MikeG36

MikeG36

Problems seem to be hit and miss. I've been lucky with my Gen 3 G19. Good luck with yours.

15. bac1023

bac1023

Are you kidding?

I'd much rather have the Gen 3.

16. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

Gen III is my personal choice. I wouldn't own a Gen IV.

17. Lowjiber

Lowjiber

I have a Gen 4 that was manufactured after all the ejection issues, etc. were settled. Never had a problem after 2000+ rounds.

For me, the big difference was the price. Around here (Las Vegas) a Gen 3 is $499 and a Gen 4 is $549. However, the Gen four comes with three mags...vice the Gen 3 which comes with two. An extra mag costs $30. I figured "why not?"

I have a Gen 3 26 that I carry daily...it's just shorter than the 19 in height/length. Absolutely no issues with it either. After all, they're Glocks.

18. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I wasn't sure which thread you were talking about so I did "Find all Threads Created by" you.
    I really didn't see one that you would be talking about.

However, I do see that you have a high number of *locked* threads.... maybe you just like stirring up trouble?

19. OctoberRust

You know what they say when you assume right?.....

....It was deleted.

Half found it funny, the other half, not so much.

I won't discuss it further, and respect the mod's choice to deleting it.

PS - 16% were locked on the first page. If you consider that a "high" number, I'd hate to see how much you exaggerate other things. Then again "High number" can be subjective.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  20. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

This, I have a gen 3 and wouldn't give you an nickel for a gen 4, too many issues for my taste.