close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Shotgun for defending your home or office !!!

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by myates3, Feb 8, 2014.

1. myates3

myates3

Jun 3, 2013

2. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    You did good. KISS Basic Fighting Shotgun. The kind you want to take to a gun fight.

3. G23c

G23c

Jan 23, 2009
    houston, texas
    looks great. keep what works for you.

4. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Are you left handed? If not, how do you manipulate the tailcap switch on your flashlight?

5. why do you need a flash light, or optics on a shotgun?

I am a homeowner not a cop, so I want my location to be hidden, and if Ineed a to use the shot gun for defense all I want it to do is, rack and fire.

I will take a mossberg 590a1 speedfeed stock with ghost ring, with side saddle, and sling for home dfense.

I know Baskin-Robbins sells 31 flavors for a reason.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  6. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    And what exactly are you firing at?

7. Not sure what you mean.

Any light on my weapon gives up my position, not good.

I think I would know the difference between a key being entered in my door VS, forced entry or glass breaking.

It's a shotgun, so I am not looking to take 100-1,000 yard shot. As a homeowner, I would think 10-20 yards at most.

If something happened where I needed to use my shotgun, I would be someplace in my hope screaming, HOMEOWNER, I'M ARMED, then they would hear my gun rack, and a repeat of, HOMEOWNER, I'M ARMED.

I have occupancy sensors all over my home, so if you came in a light would go on, so I have no problems with lights. All of my lights will be on, where I am with my gun, good luck.

8. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    What Big Bird means if you shoot somone that you have not identified as a threat it is murder. Even if it turns out they may have been a threat after the fact. You did not know that when you used deadly force against a dark shape in the night. "Kill them all and let God sort them out" is just macho BS on a T-shirt. You have to know at the time that your life is in danger to use deadly force. Just because someone may be in your yard and coming at you does not mean they are a threat. So you are just going to shoot without identifying them? Perfect example was in the news a couple months ago. The Story is also posted on www.combat-shotgun.com in the Current Fire News forum if you want to read it. Guy goes out into his yard and sees a dark shape, it is coming towards him and he yells stop. The man does not stop but having no light the homeowner has not identified the man so he shoots and kills the man. The man he killed was a 72 year old Alzheimers patient who lived in the neighborhood and wandered away from his home as they tend do very often. If this homeowner hero whould have had a light and saw this was a very old man that obvioulsy was in distress he would have not fired and have handled this differently. Then again, maybe he did not want to give his position away and would just have shot the old man anyway.

You reasoning for not having a light is beyond my comprehension but it is your decision and right. I prefer to know what is in front of me before I pull a trigger. Hope your back up emergency generator works.

9. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    What aippi said. You need a light, and more importantly, professional training from someone like Rob Haught or Louis Awerbuck.

I've spent a lot of time looking for bad people doing bad things in the dark with a rifle and a light. Even with night vision, IR laser AND a white light, there have been times I nearly shot a friendly. You really have no idea what the hell you're doing with a shotgun.

10. My resoning of not wanting to give up my position in my home so I can give them every last opertunity to leave before I shoot them is beyond your comprehension :rofl:. Yelling, Homeowner I am armed in a spot that can not be easly spotted for my safety is beyond your comprehension :dunno:. Having occupancy sensors light switches that turns on the lights when something moves with in 20' of it so I can see what and who is in my home is beyond your comprehension:faint: . How many extra batteries do you have straped to the weapon? What happened if they are dead when you need them?

So let me get this correct. A person armed is in his backyard and is afraid of his own shadow, shoots at someone he can't see in his yard.
    It could have been a cop, a firefighter, a pizza delivery person, and heshoots and kills a person. He did not go inside his home and lock the door, just shot at someone without knowing anything. I would call that murder all day, every day, and twice on Sunday..
    This sounds way different than what we are talking about.
    Now what are the odds of my lights going out at that exacttime? Probably way less than the batters in that gun light being dead, or going dead and now you have way less light than needed.

You always have to know what you are shooting at, and what's behind it.

11. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    Your position in your Home? Just where the heck are you going to be at 3am if someone breaks in? In the garage changing your oil? Have you even thought about that statement and how it sounds? I think maybe you have read some things that the Delta Farce Elite Commando Instructors are putting on line and you have simply not thought this through. The only purpose of guys responding to this is to make valid points that would help other readers. I think taking some Qualtiy Training like Mr. Murphy suggested would be of great benifit and you would rethink this issue.

As I did for an entire career my weapon and equipment are checked often and will always be found in duty ready status, always, because my life depends on it. So yes, my Surefire Forend will work when I press the pad. Over half of my career was on Evenings and Midnight shifts and lighting was critical. We did not have the quality of lighting available today. Today they are lighter in weight, more lumens and more dependable. Since most bad stuff happens at night I consider a light just as important as a firearm.

Having went through dozens of storms including Andrew I have been reminded how dark a night can be. You are relying on your local power grid which as many have found out this winter is not very reliable. I have spent many a night in the Dark because of storms, over loads on the grid and even because a freaking Squirrel got fried on a transformer or drunk driver took out a power pole. If your home lighting is your primary light for defense then well and good. You brought up batteries going dead. What about your local power grid. Can you justify not having the back up of a qualtiy weapons light on you primary home defense weapon? I can't.

12. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Mar 20, 2003
    Land of the toothless!
    So here's what I've learned in this thread...

Using a light will give away my position. Which is bad.

Screaming "I'M A HOMEOWNER! IM ARMED" While racking my shotgun so they can hear me, won't give away my position. Which is good. Makes perfect sense. :whistling::whistling::whistling:

13. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

14. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    I did probably upwards of 500 entries/clearings with a Surefire attached to my rifle. In all those many hundreds if not thousands of entries, I had a battery go down ONCE. At which point I pulled out my handheld off my armor and continued the entry.

If you keep up your maintenance, having a quality onboard light go down isn't likely.

15. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Mar 20, 2003
    Land of the toothless!
    You were doing it wrong. You were supposed to scream "I'M A SOLDIER! I'M ARMED" so you wouldn't give away your position with your light.

16. Hearing me VS seeing me is different is it not? :tongueout:

You may know I am there, but where?

Come on Dale, but real and not a smat ass all the time.

Entry by law or soldier, they are not always going to need to "knock and anounce".

No Burgler is going to knock in your door or window and go, I am a burglar here to rob you, please leave.

17. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    I am all for the availability of a flashlight but dont necessarily feel like it MUST be mounted on my weapon. Ultimately there are very few situations where I am not going to be able to see [well enough] to identify the danger in my own home. If I simply must shine a light, the pen-light in the pocket of my tactical pajamas should do the trick.

I am not going searching for the intruder in my home. I will call 911 and if the badguy tries hard enough to get to where I am,.. I will respond. I dont need a tactical flashlight, laser sight or alien motion detector to realize the badguy who has broken down my bedroom door.