close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Shotgun chocks

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by FEDLEO, Sep 19, 2011.

1. FEDLEO

FEDLEO Spread Out!

Aug 13, 2006
    State of disbelief
    I am new to the whole hunting with a shotgun thing. Only reason I am really going to mess with it is a friend of mine is really into it and well it will get me out of the house and give me something to do. He is a rabbit/bird hunter. I put a (or at least what I believe to be a) nice shotgun into lay-away to use for this and skeet etc. It is a Ruger red box over/under. Much like this one: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=252142460

Here comes the question:

What chokes are best for each of the activities? Rabbits, bird, and skeet? By the way the guy obviously uses dogs and the last thing I would want to do is shoot one of his dogs. So I am not really looking for something with a big pattern out of fear of that

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. RRTX11

RRTX11

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Texas
    Ruger Red label, great shotgun. If you shoot a couple boxes of shells and aren't use to it, you will feel it.

I use a Benelli M2, semi auto and hunt a lot of Dove, Quail, and Rabits...and for Dove and Quail, I use an Improved Cylinder (IC). For Rabbits, I will usually use an Improved Modified (IM).

A lot of people that I hunt that shoot Red Labels, or other over unders use an IC in the first barrel and a modified in the second barrel, or modified in first barrel and improved modified in the second barrel. Purely based upon preference and what type of hunting the are doing. I would recommend running through a few boxes of shells at a skeet range and get a feel for what works for you. Also, I would pattern my shotgun with the chokes just so I knew what type of pattern at what distances I was shooting at.

3. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    Full choke for trap. I want a set of chokes for my S12.

4. FEDLEO

FEDLEO Spread Out!

Aug 13, 2006
    State of disbelief
    Cool. Thanks for the advise guys I appreciate it

5. method

method

Mar 27, 2002
    Cleveland, OH
    If your patterns are so large that you really have to worry about hitting the dogs, you're far out of range.

Range sort of dictates choke....<25 yard shots, Improved Cylinder; <35 yard, Modified; 35+, Full is a good rule of thumb I feel (for the 3 most common chokes)

6. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    For upland birds, I always preferred modified in the first tube, improved modified in the second...

...and full choke for trap makes no sense to me.

:dunno:

7. RRTX11

RRTX11

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Texas

If I am hunting water/stock tank or a good food source, I will use Improved Cylinder OR Modified. If I am hunting a fly way or passing birds, Modified or Improved Modified....IM for passing or fly way white wing, they are like flying tanks. Sometimes with 6 shot, usually with 7.5.

Only time I have a full choke in is ducks, geese or bear country.

8. Robalero

Robalero Texican

Mar 18, 2003
    South Texas
    I agree with the choices for birds and rabbits that have been posted. I hunt with Brownings, one O/U and one SXS; but for skeet I use a Remington Sporting with 28 inch barrel and a skeet choke. I love that gun and it does it's job!