Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Shot my first match using my cast bullets.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Colorado4Wheel, May 2, 2010.

1. Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    It was ordinary. I didn't feel it hindered me at all. Had a nice breeze which is normal for Colorado anyway. Came in 3rd overall in "Production" and was the 2nd "B". It was not a great match for me but was not bad either. For me the most interesting part was that shooting lead "today" was a non-issue. I honestly had not planned on shooting lead today but I had sighted the gun in with these bullets and didn't know which way to go to get the thing sighted back in for my jacketed. I will probably just shoot my lead from this point forward. Considering shooting lead never really bothers me and I can save $280 or more every couple months it is worth it to me.
  2. Wash-ar15

Sep 15, 2007
    I shoot lead whenever I can unless its not allowed,like when I am shooting at an indoor range. the only downside is the smoke. I'll probably continue to do so till the FMJ comes down.

3. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Sep 27, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Outstanding Steve. :thumbsup:Were you shooting pistol or rifle. I'm always 3rd from the last.:rofl:The last four matches I have gone to I had my reloads ready and packed but the next morning I pull them out and unload all my mags and use factory. Then I take the reloads to the range and shoot them off and they all go bang. I just don't want a FTF in front of all those people.:embarassed:
  4. FM12

FM12 I need AMMO!

Jun 17, 2007
    Good for you! I shoot a lot of lead my own self, only thing I hate is the smoke, learn to shoot thru it.
  5. buyobuyo

Nov 22, 2008
    Socorro, NM
    Congrats. I'm getting geared up to start casting myself. Just finished sorting about 1.5 5-gal buckets of wheel weights, so I need to start casting.

What bullet are you shooting? I have some 121gr RN and 147gr RN-FP that a friend cast, I'm going to try out. Both are Lyman molds.
    Last edited: May 2, 2010
  6. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Smoke? If you ain't standing in the middle of a forest fire or at a black powder match it ain't smoky. Wussies.

7. Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    I am using the Lyman 147gr RN/FP you describe. It cast at 155gr with out lube. Nice enough bullet. I am probably going to try the Lee 125gr Double Radius one more time.

This is USPSA shooting. I case gauge all my ammo so I know it will chamber and I have been shooting my own reloads for years. I don't worry about that. Most people shoot reloads anyway.
  8. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Good stuff. Welcome to the grey side...
  9. srd

Apr 4, 2009
    Congratulations Steve !! I was tempted to order that mold and hone it to obtain 160 grains with my mix. I found a load my gun loves with the 160's and Solo 1000. Who says casting doesnt pay for itself. If you can save roughly 150.00 a month it doesnt take long to pay for the equitment.
  10. Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    They are right at 156gr with the lube.
  11. Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Your experience with cast lead in practice and match use mirrors my own. For many years I have had thoroughly excellent results using cast lead bullets in my various revolvers and pistols. I have used lead bullets in some local handgun matches. I have shot a lot of vintage military rifle matches using cast bullets. Initially I used cast bullets for economical practice. There came a day when lack of loaded rounds combined with an intense desire to participate in a club match led me to take my practice ammo and head for the range. The results were simply remarkable... one of the best matches I'd ever fired. I now only use lead bullets for vintage military rifle matches. I also very much enjoy using cast bullets for my 1911 .45ACP pistol and my S&W revolvers (.38 Special/.357 S&W Mag.; .45ACP). I do not currently use cast bullets in my .40 S&W Glock G-22. Once I get dies, etc., I will most assuredly be working up a load for practice.