close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shot my first deer with a pistol Sunday v. WilsonCombat

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by branden, Nov 16, 2010.

1. branden

branden AMERICA **** YA

Jan 1, 2003
    Arkansas
    Well, about a month ago I bought my first Wilson Combat, well my first 1911 period for that matter. Picked up a very well maintained used CQB compact. My dad bought a NIB CQB Elite last year and I fell in love. Started to carry this instead of my regular CCW my Glock 23 more and more lately. Well, deer season rolled around this past weekend and I decided to carry the CQB just in case one got REAL close and I felt comfortable. Saw quite a bit of deer all weekend but was really waiting for Johnny Big Buck to strut around and try and take him with my 30-06. Fast forward to Sunday morning and there were deer all over me! I lost count after 15 walked around my stand. About 9:30am a spike, a button buck and a large doe came out acting really spooked. I'd say it's safe to assume they just got shot at. They came out to my 7:30 behind my stand and ran a small circle and acted like they were going to leave. I could tell the big doe was somewhat coming my way and decided to give the Wilson a whirl. I slowly pulled it from my holster and hung my 30-06 up. Sure enough, she came right by my tree (almost below me). I let out a deer noise (don't laugh) and she stopped dead in her tracks (I'd say about 7-10 yards) and looked right at me. I aimed and squeezed off. To my absolute shock, she literally dropped like a sac of rocks. She lifted her head up and I didn't want her to suffer at all so I shot once more, hitting her directly in the heart. She died right there. I was mind blown that not only I hit her for my first pistol kill, but she dropped right there. I've never had a deer drop even with 30-06's and 7mm's.

I was using my newly purchased Winchester 230gr PDX1 Bonded rounds. They instilled a lot of faith in me. Anyways, heres some pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, I found both bullets. The one that looks more messed up then the other is the first shot, hit her directly in the spine. The other one thats perfectly mushroomed was the heartshot. Both bullets were found almost protruding through the skin on the other side. Perfect expansion and excellent penetration.
    [​IMG]

2. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Yeah, that will do it.

Congrats! :cool:

3. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Wilson 1. Deer 0.

4. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Guest

gotta love .45 cal goodness..

5. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Deer fall down all the time when someone puts a proper bullet through them. Hit 'em in the heart/lung and they are dead. They may move a bit, but no more than with a good hit from a arrow. Every time I go hunting, either my .45 ACP Springfield Mil-Tec. 1911 or my .40 S&W Glock G-22 ride on my hip. Up to 20-25 yds., either will drop a normal sized deer. If the light is bad or I just simply don't have time to put the rifle down and draw the pistol, then I use the rifle (.30-06). But otherwise one of the above pistols... or a nice 6" S&W M-28 w/ 180 gr. .357 Mag. ammo or my S&W 625-2 will do just fine. Now if the deer is running like a race horse, all bets are off... use the rifle and get hits because that deer is going to be pumped up... it will take power to put him/her down permanently.

6. Grinchster

Grinchster

Aug 25, 2010
    Palmetto State
    Any deer taken from anything less than a cannon is a trophy. Anyone that said that the deer doesn't have the advantage in the woods has never been hunting the free ranging deer that I've always chased.

By the way, I might add, how many of us would go near the deer woods if they were toating any type of weapon.

Congradulations on your sucess

7. airflyer

airflyer

Feb 3, 2007
    IOWA
    Awesome eating deer right there the best venison comes in that size
    Congrats

8. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

Jan 23, 2010
    Shreveport, La.
    Congrats on the good hunt... I've known Guy's that have dropped them 9mm's too, and I've seen a housecat run 100 yards after getting the popped with a 7mm Mag... Brings us all back to the golden rule ------- SHOT PLACEMENT... I read and article some time ago about a Guy and several of his friends that used to go on hunts for Deer, hogs, rabbits, etc. with different auto pistols and loads to test the effectiveness... Shot placement ruled the day, and over many many other shots fired he could not discern any difference at all in effectiveness between the three main semi-auto pistol cartridges... That's a nice pistol you got there, but the effectiveness on the doe was in the shooter...

9. Nice! LOL. 230gr. + right spot = instant death!

10. ctfireman

ctfireman

Feb 13, 2010
    Bridgeport, CT
    Nice! Feel free to send sausage!

11. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    Nice!!!

the deer i got was larger and i knocked the =S=hit out of it :animlol:

[​IMG]

12. den888

den888

Sep 4, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Good shootin' !

13. Congrats, when I get calls of cars vs deer I use my duty gun. Sig229 in 40 with 180 gr ranger talons. One to the head works every time.

14. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Somewhere in the air.
    Congratulations!

15. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Somewhere in the air.
    You're doing it wrong.

16. steve1911

steve1911

Jul 12, 2004
    oregon
    Congrats!

1911club#410

17. branden

branden AMERICA **** YA

Jan 1, 2003
    Arkansas

Speaking of, I hit a mature buck last year with my car. Guy came out of nowhere I didn't even have time to touch my brakes. I was going 45mph and the total damage to my car was a hair over $4k. Watch out for them

18. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Congrats! Very cool.

19. BlayGlock

BlayGlock

Feb 18, 2010
    Texas
    Awesome. Ive wanted to shoot a deer with my .45 for a while just have not have the chance. Ive shot plenty of hogs with a 10mm and .357 though.

20. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    When you hit a hog with a 10mm, doesn't it vaporize it only leaving the hoofs? :dunno:

:kidding::kidding: