close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Shot Distance?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by tthomas, Feb 15, 2012.

1. tthomas

tthomas

May 7, 2007
    I have a Glock 23, how far will it shoot, holding sights on target; not holding high, but holding sights dead on target; what's the max distance?

Thanks

2. arclight610

arclight610

Dec 2, 2009
    Are you asking what your sights are sighted in for from factory? It really depends on the load and stuff, but my G19 would hit dead on at 25 yds.

3. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    If you're talking about bullet trajectory, it would depend on the weight of the bullet and how hot the ammo is.

4. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    It will shoot all the way to where the bullet hits.

5. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

Jan 24, 2012
    ads=vdv just integrate and apply gravity and plug in your acceptable bullet drop (you will obviously also need to know muzzle velocity)... and this is ignoring drag. Ah, just never mind. :rofl:

I can't remember this **** w/o working it out. Point is you can make a good guess if you put a little work into it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  6. bustedknee

bustedknee Curmudgeon

Aug 1, 2001
    Wythe County, VA
    The path of the bullet is not a flat line.

The actual flight of the bullet is an arc. If you are sighted dead-on at X distance, the bullet angles upward higher than the line-of-sight, crosses the LOS at X, then drops below the LOS.

You chose X and set your sights accordingly.

7. Caver 60

Caver 60

Jun 12, 2007
    Midwest
    What in the world do you mean by "how far will it shoot" or "what's the max distance?"

There's so many variables there, I can't figure how to even try to answer the question.

8. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Feb 13, 2001
    North-Central USA
    To answer your question, we will need to know the size of your target, or the size of the part of the target you want to hit (such as the black bulls-eye area).

For instance, with a 9mm Glock, I can hold on the center of a full-size humanoid silhouette (like a B-27 target) and still hit it at about 100 yards. The shots will hit the target below where I am aiming, but the large size of the target (top-to-bottom) means the bullets will still hit inside the black scoring area (they will be low, but still on-target).

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  9. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  10. davsco

davsco

Feb 27, 2011
    the bullet should hit the ground somewhere around 175 - 225 yards.

11. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Feb 13, 2001
    North-Central USA
    Probably true, but as I said above, you still need the target size to compute the MPBR portion of this info. In the introductory paragraph for the chart, Chuck specifies that the MPBR is being figured based on a maximum 3" rise above, or fall below, the line of sight; so, the target in this case is 6 inches tall.