close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

shortwave

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by FireForged, Mar 25, 2013.

1. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    CAn anyone suggest a good shortwave receiver(listen only)? I would prefer small mobile but it all depends on how good the reception is.

2. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Years ago I had one similar to this, but with the Radio Shack brand.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11208548

Used to tune into Radio Moscow once in a while for a laugh as the propaganda flowed freely "straight from the horses mouth" as the USSR was dying.

The antenna on a portable unit is always a poor compromise for reception. For good reception you'll need a wire of the correct length for the frequency you want to receive.

Shortwave is kinda' cool, but I think it's fading away slowly as the internet and satelite radio takes over the void.

3. w9trb

w9trb

Feb 22, 2010
    Sadly, the best days of shortwave is over. However, there are still English broadcasts, just not near as many as there used to be. On the plus side most shortwave radios include better reception capabilities for the more ordinary AM band. This gives you a better chance of clear reception and more stations for news gathering. In general, you will want to shop around and be sure that you get a model that includes Upper Sideband and Lower Sideband. Look for this feature even if you do not anticipate becoming a Ham Radio operator. The electronics in the radio will tend to be better and also under difficult reception conditions you can tune in either the upper or lower part of the signal and tune it clearly, with less interference. If you have questions just pm me, been a Ham for 25 years, probably can answer your questions that way and not bore people here that are not interested.

4. My favorite is the Sony ICF-7600G, I bought it 15 years ago and it's been serving me well. The current model is 7600GR, it has some improvements over the 7600G.

[​IMG]

5. FireForged

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    yeah, its HAM I want to be able to listen to during emergencies, not so much world wide stuff.

6. FireForged

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
  7. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    I don't see why not,my scanner can pick up ham freqs.'08.

8. All the ham shortwave frequencies, yes - from 160 meters to 10 meters. But no 2m or 70cm, which is where most of local ham activity occurs.

9. w9trb

w9trb

Feb 22, 2010
    If your interest is for local events, you will be better served by purchasing a scanning radio. You are looking for coverage of 144-148 Mhz and 444-448 Mhz in FM mode. Fortunately almost every scanning radio will cover this range. If you are in a large city, some local services are using trunking radios. You need to find out before hand if that is the case. Trunking radios are more expensive by far. Regular scanners can be had as handhelds or table-top models. One interesting feature I have seen for Nascar fans are models that search out the signals from race teams at the push of a button. All models allow you to search segments of frequencies to find previously unknown signals.

10. w9trb

w9trb

Feb 22, 2010
    Railroads use FM signals around 156-160 Mhz, all scanners will do that. Aircraft use AM at around 120-124 Mhz and you will need to be a good shopper to be sure a given scanner will do this. Most scanners will list Aircraft band on their sales literature, but you need to check and be sure. A handheld scanner with Aircraft band would be ideal to take along to an Airshow. It would let you hear the Pilots and Tower for example.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  11. FireForged

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South