close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Short Winter Days Depressing?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FullClip, Dec 2, 2012.

1. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Man! I thought that winter in Maine was rough! In Maine, I live pretty much a few hundred yards north of the 45th parallel, and the daylight in winter is pretty short. Here in Riga, about 12 degrees further north, the sun, when it does pop out, is a whole lot lower on the southern horizon. I'm no stranger to winter, but it sure makes me wonder how folks even further north deal with things when it's dark most of time. I can see why Iceland has such a high rate of boozers....pretty depressing.:upeyes:

Only a few more weeks and we start gaining on the daylight again, so think I can tough it out!:supergrin:

2. SunsetMan

SunsetMan Deplorable Lifetime Member

I don't want to imagine what you are going through. I'm hating these short days in southern California with the sun going down at 5pm. I wish they get rid of daylight waisting time.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012

3. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

Years ago I had some mild depression during the winter after moving from Florida to upstate NY. When the sun would come out, I felt euphoria when outside. After that realization I started tanning occasionally until I could get a sun lamp for the house.

I don't really need that any more here in VA. We are planning on moving to Maine where my wife is from in about three years, and I will be buying a sun lamp after the move to make my first winter there bearable.

4. FullClip

No need for the extra cost of a sun lamp. Up here we jsut stick a screw driver in the safety interlock of the microwave oven and fire up that puppy with the door open! After a couple bags of pop-corn cooked that way, you'll look like you just got back from the beach!!:supergrin:

But in Maine, remember this. if ya' can't handle the wintahs, ya don't deserve the summahs":supergrin:

Actually, the winters don't seem too bad when you know that after they're over you'll have to deal with black-fly season.:upeyes:

5. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Would you post some pics of the area.I've never been there,if not I understand.'08. Thanks.

6. TexanRon

TexanRon Come 'n Take It

This is a very real phenomenon. There is a psychiatric disorder called SAD, which is Seasonal Affective Disorder. The rate of incidence rises dramatically the further north you go, as it appears to be linked to shortened exposure to daylight. Interestingly, one of the approved treatments is time sitting in front of a light that emits rays similar to sunlight.

7. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

In Northern Minnesota (up to 49+ degrees Latitude) it gets cold (-30/-40F) and desolate in Winter, with very long nights.

High alcohol consumption is common.

8. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

After the loss of her husband due to illness, a woman I work with was having a pretty tough time, and bad was increased to worse when she cam back to work in her office that had no windows.

Her grief counselor prescribed that she buy a daylight lamp and to have it on at her desk x number of hours per day. She swears the light makes a difference.

9. FullClip

My consumption actually drops a whole lot in the winter. I like beer and enjoy it a lot more when the weather is hot and I can pee outside. If ya' try that when it's 30 below, the little guy is pretty reluctant to come out past the fly. Have never got the hang of the hard stuff anti-freeze.:supergrin:

10. Bruce M

Bruce M

It probably would not be nice to mention that I am going to take the bike out and it is upper seventies here, so I won't. But I am curious as to why one would go from Maine to Riga. No black flies or no mud season?

11. FullClip

Given the choice of Saudi, Kuwait, some place in inner Mozambique or Riga what would you do???

Don't think there will be a problem with missing mud-season here...what ain't frozen yet is pretty mucky at the job site. Will report on the black-flys next spring.:supergrin:

Actually, pretty nice city. Problem is I can speak Spanish, Italian, a little French....but ZERO Latvian....tough language for my old mind to get a grip on. Wish I was here 30 years ago. The women are beautiful and quick to giggle even at an old fart like me.

12. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Ahhhhhhhh, what might have been.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I am more like you.

I can't drink hard stuff (and a lot of beers), I get Migraines from it. Sure cure for Alcoholism.:rofl:

13. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Winter? It's 80F outside right now.

14. brisk21

brisk21

I like winter. I like short days. It makes me feel better about being lazy and doing nothing. Every day I don't do something in the summer I feel is a waste. I really like winter and the changing seasons here in Michigan.

15. di11igaf

di11igaf ibew

It does suck going to work when its dark, getting off and its dark every day. That and it is SO much harder to get up and out of bed at 5 am in the winter.

16. Bruce M

Bruce M

Unless Kuwait means Dubai or Mozambique is code for San Paolo, Riga it is!

Glad to heart that other than the lack of daylight it has some charms.

17. *ASH*

*ASH* in hell everyone loves popcorn

what i dont understand is folks drinking ,ALCOHOL IS A DEPRESSANT .:dunno::dunno:

its effecting me in north carolina , first time i ever had it , it gets dark at 5 to 5:30

18. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

cheer up, by definition they wont last long.

19. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

Being cooped up can be depressing, whether you're in the rains of Seattle or the snows of most anywhere snowy. If SAD is real, I've experienced it since childhood but have learned how to work through it. Where winter is severe you have to get out to enjoy it in physical activity.

When I lived full time in the land of ice and snow, I made an effort to get out every day on cross country skis for vigorous runs, to walk along the iced-over river, and take binoculars and camera to explore the beauty of winter.

At my place on the river in the bottom of a valley near the Continental Divide, it might snow most every day for a month with scarcely an emergence of the sun. At this time of year the sun has already set by 3:40 in the afternoon, and it get's dark around 5 o'clock.

To stay sane, you have to find a way to enjoy winter. As a landlord I rent mountain properties and have seen it over and over. The people who get out to actively engage the outdoors in winter end up staying and enjoy living in the mountains, those who hole up inside are usually gone in a year. A few became shack nasty and downright crazy by spring.

Go hiking, go skiing, go hunting, go shooting, go ice fishing, go birding, go take pictures, or go split wood, but get out and get active! Physical activity is the only way to beat the winter doldrums.

In most of Colorado right now, it's still dry and warm enough to go mountain biking, which is what we did both days this weekend. Now I can sit back, relax, and enjoy drinking. :supergrin:

20. JohnP82

JohnP82

I am one of the wierd ones. I love nights. Worked 3rd shifts for most of my adult life and love it. Not a morning person, don't like the sunlight, and I hate heat. In the summer I don't even go out until the sun starts going down. Yes, I am strange.