Short gun ammo question

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by 4arrows, Nov 28, 2012.

1. 4arrows

Expand Collapse

Nov 4, 2012

I appreciate your help in this forum as well in other publications that you have made contributions to over the years. Thank you for helping many of us.

I have a question concerning ammo selection. I have carried a 5" 1911 for many years and have used a variety of hollow point ammunition. Recently, I have had to change my carry gun to something much more concealable and settled on the XDs, small enough to conceal easily, but allows me to stay with .45 I know and trust.

All that being said, when dropping to a much shorter barreled firearm, is there benefit to using an ammunition like the Hornady Critical Defense that is not as reliant on bullet speed for expansion?Or are Gold Dot and Ranger just as viable a defensive round regardless of the barrel length?

Thank you much for all you do.

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob
    Expand Collapse

Nov 6, 2005
    Welcome to Glock Talk.

While the Critical Defense looks promising in testing -- as does the special Short Barrel Gold Dot load from Speer -- I haven't yet found any cases of actual shootings with either.

Departments authorizing short-barrel .45s for plainclothes or off duty use generally issue the same ammo for them as larger pistols, such as Winchester Ranger-T, standard Speer Gold Dot, or Federal HST. I'm not hearing complaints from any of those quarters about performance shortcomings in the shorter barrel .45s.

Hoping this is responsive to your question,