Short Barrel Test Federal 45 ACP 230 Grain HST

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Ljutic, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    .338 Federal 8" Short Barrel Rifle AR-10 Velocity Results GATE AR-15 Forum Sep 6, 2015
    Short barrel "shotgun" no NFA involvement General Firearms Forum Jul 13, 2015
    Ammo for short-barrelled pistols 9mm GATE Self-Defense Forum May 16, 2015
    What Is A Short And A Long Barrel? General Glocking Apr 23, 2015
    Short Barrel or Long Barrrel Gold dots in Glock 43 GATE Self-Defense Forum Apr 17, 2015

2. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Great expansion! I think that the bullet turned sideways as it retreated from the full penetration depth. I just looked at the video in stop-frame. The bullet did turn sideways upon retreating a little from full penetration. It went face forward all the way to full penetration.

#2 SCmasterblaster, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  3. Excellent test, thank you! I'm shopping for short barrel 45 loads right now and have settled on the +P HST rd for a little better velocity.
  4. HSTs have amazingly consistent penetration. They all seem to go about 12.5-13" regardless of weight and caliber.
  5. Great video. Has anyone seen a gel test with some clothing? Using +p out of a 3.5 inch P45, I was getting partial expansion through 4 layers of denim into gallon jugs with water and news paper. Partial expansion was still pretty good, but I do not know the relevance of my testing.
  6. When I get attacked by multiple gallon jugs wearing 4 layers of denim which eat newspapers, I'll come back and look at these results.
  7. If you wait until after you are attacked, it will be too late. I guess you already have been attacked by a bare piece of gel.
    #7 PghJim, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  8. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

it does give us an idea (not precisely) of how well a particular bullet/load will do in the anti-personnel function.
  9. Party pooper.

I appreciate the work as the XDS is in my carry rotation. I usually pack 230 CORBON and Win Rangers ... may just consider working the HST's into the mix as well.

Thanks so much Bro for the test :thumbsup:
    #9 yesitsloaded, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  10. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member