close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Short Barrel Test Federal 45 ACP 230 Grain HST

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Ljutic, Nov 8, 2012.

1. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Great expansion! I think that the bullet turned sideways as it retreated from the full penetration depth. I just looked at the video in stop-frame. The bullet did turn sideways upon retreating a little from full penetration. It went face forward all the way to full penetration.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012

2. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

Mar 1, 2005
    Old Dominion
    Excellent test, thank you! I'm shopping for short barrel 45 loads right now and have settled on the +P HST rd for a little better velocity.

3. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    HSTs have amazingly consistent penetration. They all seem to go about 12.5-13" regardless of weight and caliber.

4. PghJim

PghJim

Apr 21, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Great video. Has anyone seen a gel test with some clothing? Using +p out of a 3.5 inch P45, I was getting partial expansion through 4 layers of denim into gallon jugs with water and news paper. Partial expansion was still pretty good, but I do not know the relevance of my testing.

5. KenB22

KenB22

Jul 28, 2009
    When I get attacked by multiple gallon jugs wearing 4 layers of denim which eat newspapers, I'll come back and look at these results.

6. PghJim

PghJim

Apr 21, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    If you wait until after you are attacked, it will be too late. I guess you already have been attacked by a bare piece of gel.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  7. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    it does give us an idea (not precisely) of how well a particular bullet/load will do in the anti-personnel function.

8. yesitsloaded

yesitsloaded

Jun 13, 2008
    North Cuba
    Party pooper.

I appreciate the work as the XDS is in my carry rotation. I usually pack 230 CORBON and Win Rangers ... may just consider working the HST's into the mix as well.

Thanks so much Bro for the test :thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  9. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    :supergrin::supergrin::supergrin: