close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Short Barrel Shotgun???

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by mattz357, Apr 18, 2010.

1. mattz357

mattz357

Nov 19, 2000
    Peoria, IL
    Does anyone know what is required to legally buy a short barrel shotgun in Illinois? What "tax stamp" do I need and how do I get it? What else do I need? Also, where can you find short barrel shotguns for sale (either SxS or pump)? I've found a couple of sites, but not many. Thanks in advance for any info!

2. cangler

cangler Republican!!

Mar 3, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I'm in the process of trying to obtain a SBS, and what I've learned recently is there are a few different loops you can jump through to be able to own NFA weapon(s). Find a class 3 firearm dealer in your area, and they should able to explain your options. From what I hear, it's just a lot of waiting.

3. mattz357

mattz357

Nov 19, 2000
    Peoria, IL
    Any idea where to find a listing of class 3 dealers? Is the SBS (AOW) a class 3 or class 2 (what is the difference for that matter)? Have you found out anything about the "stamp" and is it really only $5? Thanks!

4. cangler

cangler Republican!!

Mar 3, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    http://nfadealers.com/#Illinois:

This site is only listing one IL class 3 dealer, but I'd imagine there are many more than that. As far as finding more, I'm not real sure.
    I was lucky enough to have quite a few listed for TX.

Quoted from http://www.paladinarmory.com/SBSAOW.htm

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  5. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Holster Maker

Jul 22, 2001
    Central Oregon
    SBS is $200
    AOW is $5

6. mattz357

mattz357

Nov 19, 2000
    Peoria, IL
    That was very good info about AOW vs SBS. Which manufacturers make AOWs? I think there might be a guy who has class 3 that comes to our gunshows, I'll just have to wait until the next show and get his info. What do I need to do to get the stamp and whatever else makes it ok for me to have an AOW? Thanks!

7. DPris

DPris

Mar 3, 2006
    Utah
    Obtain the right federal form, submit two fingerprint cards along with a signature from your top law enforcement guy or gal in your area, send them off with your money to the ATF & sit back and wait for them to process it all.
    Once the approved form comes back, it'll have the tax stamp affixed to it, and you take those to the dealer who does the transfer for you.

AOWs are not particularly common.

Denis

8. mattz357

mattz357

Nov 19, 2000
    Peoria, IL
    I've found a few AOWs, but sadly what I really wanted was the SxS and I have a feeling all of those are going to be SBS. Depending on what is involved I may apply for the AOW just to see if it goes through. I haven't looked at the ATF site yet, but is there a link to download the forms online? Thanks to all!

9. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Holster Maker

Jul 22, 2001
    Central Oregon
    You've got to either buy one from a local dealer or have one shipped to a local dealer, then they will help you fill out the paperwork.

You don't apply first, you must have the actual gun and serial number on the Form 4.

10. DPris

DPris

Mar 3, 2006
    Utah
    STM beat me to it.

You first find the gun you want, arrange for the dealer to hold it for you pending the return of the federal paperwork, and that specific gun's serial number & other info must be on the papers when you send them in to ATF.

The stamp & related forms are not a general license to buy. You find the gun, submit the forms, get the papers & stamp back (which are specific to THAT GUN ONLY), and you take your papers to the dealer & finish the deal.

You go through that on each & every applicable gun you buy.

Denis

11. mattz357

mattz357

Nov 19, 2000
    Peoria, IL
    Hard question to answer, but what happens if for some reason you don't get your stamp? There is a really good chance I'd have to order my shotgun so I'd be out $800 if the stamp didn't come through.

12. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Holster Maker

Jul 22, 2001
    Central Oregon
    Have you been convicted of any crimes? Over 21?

If not there is no reason why you will not get approved for your stamp.

If for some reason you do, then you can just turn around and sell it to someone else. Have you dealer sell it to them or have him ship it to their FFL.

13. DPris

DPris

Mar 3, 2006
    Utah
    Dealers understand that sale of the gun is conditional on the paperwork's approval.
    You don't lose your money if it doesn't go through, it just cancels the sale.
    Depending on the dealer there may be a deposit you might lose.

Check with your local Class III dealer for how they handle such things, but if your local CLEO signs the papers, your background comes through OK, your local laws don't prohibit possession, and your check doesn't bounce, you should be approved.

It's not a capricious process where ATF picks & chooses, if you have everything lined up in order the stamp should automatically issue.
    Again- call your local dealer & ask about what they need & how they handle the process while your papers & prints are wandering around the country.
    If they have something you want in inventory, it's a simple process, if you're buying from an individual it's a little more complicated.
    Denis

14. MJB

MJB

Jul 28, 2008
    Treasure Coast FL
    You do know you can go down to 18" without any hassle. How short do you want and why?

If you don't mind my asking.

Your fellow Illinoisan

15. mattz357

mattz357

Nov 19, 2000
    Peoria, IL
    I have an 18" 870 and I love it, but what I really wanted was a really short barrel SxS (like in Desperado). I've learned a lot in the last couple days and now realize that I could go through a lot of hassle for a Serbu or something similar and not really have what I want, or I could go on wanting a SxS but not get one because according to a link I found only AOWs are allowed for IL. I'm leaning toward abandoning this goose chase, though I still really want a short barrel shotgun... and I think it would be fun to have something class III. Thanks to all!

16. 220 swift

220 swift

Dec 19, 2010
    Nevada
    Check out the ithica auto burglar gun,it qualifies as c&r as well,somewhat rare and a little pricey,they were made in 2 models a or b but sounds like what your looking for - good luck to you

17. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    I am pretty sure that SBS and SBR are illegal in Illinois...

18. As has been said, go to a Class 3 dealer and learn this stuff from them. Obviously you are new to this and believe me, the internet is not the place to get OJT with this kind of stuff. Not only are there assorted Federal hoops to jump through but many states also have their own rules and regulations.

19. That was going to be my question. Even if the Fed's approve you to own a SBS, will the State of Illinois allow you to own and/or possess one?