close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Short barrel 12 ga for woods carry

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by PhotoFeller, Feb 12, 2011.

1. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

I want a short barrel, pistol grip 12ga pump to carry concealed for hiking and jaunts in the Everglades and while driving long trips:

How short can the barrel be legally?

How much does the Federal stamp cost for this type of weapon with, say, a 12" barrel?

Does anyone make custom scabbards with a shoulder strap or over-the-back carry sling? The scabbard would have to conceal the gun completely.

Who builds a factory gun of this description, or would it be a custom build?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. uzimon

uzimon
    Expand Collapse
    team ftp

chop it yourself and save $, after you get the $200 tax stamp back of course. on a form 1

#2 uzimon, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  3. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

18" is as short as the barrel can be without the $200 tax stamp.

If you want to go pistol grip only there is the option of an AOW for only a $5 tax stamp.

4. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

Sorry, but AOW isn't an abbreviation I'm familiar with. I sure like the sound of a $5 stamp. I want pistol grip only. What is the process to get the $5 stamp?

Who builds the gun I've described with a15" barrel? I'd like something similar to my Rem 870 quality wise.

Any thoughts on the scabbard?

Sorry to have so many questions. This is an area that I know nothing about and you guys are experts. Thanks.

5. uzimon

uzimon
    Expand Collapse
    team ftp

aow is "any other weapon". if you take a shotgun that was never designed to have a shoulder stock, and chop the bbl, it can be designated as an aow. if you "make" (chop) it yourself, you still have to pay a $200 tax stamp. you can buy an aow, but
    an aow shotgun usually runs over $750, plus the $5 stamp. it cannot have a butttstock attached, otherwise it won't be an aow anymore, it'll be a short bbl shotgun.
    you can get a $175 rem 870 from a pawn shop and chop it yourself and you will have everything an aow is and the ability to install a stock

#5 uzimon, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  6. Glockster17

Glockster17
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

7. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

18" with a Butler Creek folding stock. Add a HSGI scabbard to the pack and camoflauge it up some so it doesn't scream gun.

Bring a pistol and four mags, you can't always have the long gun handy.

8. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

MrMurphy...

You seem familiar with the rig I seek. Tell me more.

I live in Florida, so I must carry my shotgun concealed. I visualize a short barrel shotgun in a quiver-type back pack with my ESSE Junglas knife attached. I want to be able to reach over my shoulder to draw the shotgun.

The HSGI scabbards I saw on their site were designed for guns with stocks; are you suggesting a short barrel might be concealed in one of these?

9. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse

Call HSGI.

Talk to Gene. He's the owner. Tell him what you're looking to do. Either they'll have something already like it, or they'll do a custom. A scabbard like they make for an M4 could easily be closed off with a flap and a fastex buckle without much work. It'd basically be a MOLLE-pack equivalent of the old M1A1 carbine paratrooper bag.

10. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

My thanks. May I tell Gene you suggested I call?

Please explain the quote that accompanies your posts. Source? Significance to you...your philosophy?

11. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse

He does not know me under this name, though we once spent a few hours discussing a custom 40mm launcher rig being made for my unit at the time when I was stationed in Europe.

If you don't recognize a line from the Boondock Saints, you need to go watch it.

12. 8th SPS USAF

8th SPS USAF
    Expand Collapse

SBS- short bbl shotgun- under 18" bbl with stock Tax $200
    AOW- any othere weapon- under 18" bbl no stock Tax $5
    If you cut your own BBL after you get the F1 back w/tax is $200
    You can't cut a bbl and make it an AOW it has to come from factory this way

I have owned several Rem 870 AOW's very nice and fun guns to shoot

13. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

Do I need a lawyer to initiate the stamp acquisition? I assume there is an application process involving ATF.

Can I purchase the AOW or SBS prior to getting the stamp? There is a gun show coming up in 2weeks and I probably can't get a stamp by then.

Thanks.

14. TxGun

TxGun
    Expand Collapse

18" barrel; 26" OAL is legal. Less than that, you need a stamp.

15. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Expand Collapse

I'm going to throw a damper into the whole mess. Based on the posts you have little or know real knowledge about this isse. I'll also assume you have little or no experience with SBRs. The best thing you can do is go to a good Class 3 Dealer in your state, talk with him, and try to find a gun similar to what you think you want and try it out. The SBR (shotgun) is a very specialized firearm for actual use.

16. Boeydafunk

Boeydafunk
    Expand Collapse

Good call Dave

17. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

What mess are you referring to? I admit to having little knowledge about the process of obtaining a stamp or, for that matter, the "specialized" nature of a short barrel shotgun. My query was not a fishing expedition nor was it insincere.

I was under the impression that this venue is provided for the free exchange of information from those who know to those who desire to know. Apparently you, Mr. Armstrong, because of your tenure, have decided my inquiry isn't based on sufficient knowledge of the subject. While I respect your vast knowledge and experience in these matters, I believe you have crossed the line here.

#17 PhotoFeller, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  18. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

Just so I'll know how and when it's ok to ask a question in the future, please critique my posts by pointing out which statements contributed to the "mess". Thanks for your help.

#18 PhotoFeller, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  19. chemcmndr

chemcmndr
    Expand Collapse

There is an application process that you must go through with the ATF that normally takes about 3 months. Whether or not you need a lawyer could depend on which route you take to acquiring your NFA firearms. Route 1 is called the "individual" route. This is where you fill out the paperwork in your name, submit your photograph and fingerprints for a background check and get the Chief LEO in your area to sign off on the forms saying that they have no reason to suspect you can't own NFA weapons. This option doesn't require a lawyer to be involved.

The second option is called the "trust" or "corporation" route. Here, a person will set up a living trust or a corporation that the weapons will be registered to. The advantage of this is so that multiple people (your family) can have access to or possess the weapons without having to file transfer paperwork, pay another tax, and wait another 3 months for ATF approval. The other reason people choose this route is if they have a Chief LEO that refuses to sign off on their paperwork. Since a trust or corporation is a business entity, the Chief LEO section on the form is left blank.

By "purchase" if you mean just paying for the weapon, then yes, you can, and most likely will have to pay for it before you get the stamp. However, you cannot physically take possession of the weapon from the dealer or individual (if you file a form 4) or assemble/cut the barrel off of your shotgun (if you file a form 1) until you physically have the tax stamp in hand. In order to file the paperwork with the ATF, you need the serial number of the shotgun/AOW that you will be building/transferring.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a PM.

20. Boeydafunk

Boeydafunk
    Expand Collapse

Dave stated that since you lack knowledge about how and where to get such a shotgun, and that they are "specialized firearms" you should go speak with someone locally who can help you in your quest for such knowledge. I agree whole heartedly.

Secondly, why do you want a 12" barrel? Did you pick the number out of the air? Is 26" overall to large for your purpose? PM me and ill answer what ever I can for you.

In my opinion the rig you invision is worthless for all but a very small section of people and can be very dangerous to get out and put back in. This is not a movie. Instead of going through all the hassle, I would just go get a .44 magnum revolver and save the money. If you think of replying "with the shotgun I wont have to aim at something if its right there" get to a good class and learn about the shotgun.
    DaFUnk