Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Shopping for my first AR?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by J. Parker, Jan 6, 2011.

1. J. Parker

J. Parker

May 24, 2000
    Ephrata, Wa.
    I've owned a bunch of guns but never an AR. My son-in-law picked up a new Bushmaster a few weeks ago and he's really happy with it. I would like to spend less than $900 or so. What would be a solid, reliable first AR-15?

~Thanks folks
  2. Braden

Feb 10, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

3. K. Foster

K. Foster

Feb 19, 2002
    First, what do you intend to do with it? Personal defense, competition, range toy?
    I recommend you take some time and research this. Read all the relevant threads here and on other forums. Look at the chart by Rob S and look at the features listed. When you have an understanding of what those features are and how they will or will not affect your use requirements, then you can make an informed decision.
    While it may sound simple to just ask what’s a good brand? If you do your own research, you won’t have to worry about some 14 year old key board commando telling you “I’ve been a SWAT cop for 18 years and I only use DPMS ‘cause they’re the best!”
  4. RMTactical

RMTactical CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    If your primary concerns are reliability and price get a BCM upper on a quality complete lower such as a Stag or spikes tactical.
  5. THELimey

THELimey Ancient Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Washington first choice is COLT,LMT or BCM or Daniel Defence or Noveske. I would then look at the next level including RRA, Bushmaster, Armalite and DPMS. Below that are many many choices.

I would recommend you build your own. Its easy and you will save a few bucks if you are not afraid of owning a "frankengun":supergrin:
  6. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    Can't disagree there.
  7. farmer2

Nov 13, 2005
    Spokane Washington
    BCM or Daniel Defense. For 900 bucks you can get a midlength and have the best. A Rock river, stag or bushmaster will cost the same, but be half the gun. Obviously a colt would be a good choice as well, but it will cost you $1100. Parker you have sold and traded a lot of guns on this board, I know you can pick an excellent firearm....don't settle.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011