close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shopping for flashlight. Wow, have things gotten complicated.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Durden, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Durden

Durden

After about 10 hours of research over the last two weeks on trying to decide what basic but quality LED Flashlight to purchase, and having thought that I had narrowed it down to the final two or three candidates, I inevitably find something posted somewhere (video or elsewhere) that makes me second guess my choices.

I know that just like most things, buy quality and cry once, but there are a few exceptions to this general rule that I've found myself regretting (where I enjoyed and used the a lower priced option than its more expensive counterpart), and I really wanted to keep my purchase to $50 or less.

I've become aware that some of the newer LEDs, based on CREE diodes, and especially using 14500 batteries, can light up the forest like it is daylight.

But I am looking for a more balanced approach, with:

1) respectable light output of around 80 to 120 lumens (that can be dialed down for improved battery life);

2) waterproof design, or at the very least, true water resistant design, that can withstand long term use in a moderate rain, without it causing problems;

2) good quality light that tends towards the neutral white hue, and a wide light pattern that has spillage that makes the light useable in terms of periphery of view rather than a narrow beam that throws a long way but that doesn't light up a wide swath of territory;

3) very good regulated battery life on a regular AA or AAA (or two of them) battery (good battery life would mean more than 3 to 4 hours on medium output, and hopefully more).

I thought I had narrowed it down to either a Fenix E21 or a Thrunite Ti or a (admittedly less quality) Ultrafire C3 (the kind that takes either a single AA or two AAs and with 5 modes), but I'm back at square one.

I am not looking for a narrow, long throwing, beam light to ID objects in the far distance, but something that gives me a good coverage pattern that's bright but not blindingly so over a moderate distance (for this reason, I liked the Ultrafire C3 but have been reading about quality problems with it).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

3. nmk

nmk

4. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Fenix, 4Sevens, or Zebralight. All will serve you well.

5. Durden

Durden

Thanks guys.

This is the video comparison that I thought sealed the deal on the Ultrafire C3 (which can be used with 1 or 2 AA batteries), because it gives really good spill AND a nice throw, and when used in 1 AA battery configuration, can be broken down into almost a pen light sized EDC torch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VU3u0_XTyM8#t=99s

6. Turk

Turk

I had the same confusion about flashlights like you. I ended up buying a Coast PX-25 at Home Depot. It's output is 208 lumins and is a single setting light ( on & off ). I have found that it is a really good light, in my opinion. I only need on & off but do like a bright light. I also like the fact that it is powered by 3 AAA batteries. Best of all I only paid about $37.00 for it. I have spent more on some of the more known brands but returned them all for one reason or another. Next time you are in Home Depot check it out.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
    The Coast PX25 LED Flashlight has a light output of 208 lumens in a size that is easy to carry in the included belt sheath, your tool kit, or in your vehicle. It puts out a Bulls Eye spot beam pattern which gives you a powerful spot beam to light up distant targets, but also has a surrounding halo of light that is useful for added side vision. A lightweight aluminum casing offers great durability and will hold up to heavy daily use.

208 lumen light output (LED)
    6 hour 15 minute runtime on one set of batteries
    128 meter (419 feet) beam distance
    Rubber rear switch
    Includes 3 AAA-cell batteries to allow for immediate use
    Impact and water resistant
    MFG Brand Name : Coast
    MFG Model # : HD7736CP
    MFG Part # : HD7736CP

7. AA#5

AA#5

Well, I guess I'm spoiled. I'd find that beam unacceptable with those dark spots & rings. Fenix is the last word on reasonably-priced, quality lights.