close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Shooting Wax Bullets! DIY Ammo for Cheap Training and Fun

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Raleigh Glocker, Feb 7, 2013.

1. This ammo crunch drove me to buy a bucket list gun- a Ruger New Vaquero single action revolver. I can't believe I needed a crisis to get one, because it is so fun to shoot.

The best thing is that single action revolvers are ready made for shooting wax bullets. I didn't realize this previously, but wax bullets are a huge part of Cowboy Action Shooting, especially fast draw. Because of this, there are several sources of high quality commercially made wax bullets in 45 and 38 calibers.

I cover one complete system designed for 45LC in this video, but I talk a bit about ways of doing it yourself, too. If you haven't tried shooting wax bullets before, now is a perfect time to start. They are cheap, available, and great fun.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo-y3lC5864"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo-y3lC5864[/ame]

2. rustytxrx

rustytxrx

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    I agree. I posted on it last month. I have shot 1000's. Quite fun

3. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I wonder if one can make wax bullets for a Glock 17?

4. Fear Night

Fear Night NRA Life Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Sweet Home Alabama
    I don't see why not. Problem is, it wouldn't cycle the slide.

5. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    What I mean is the 9mm case is rather small. A full wadcutter wax bullet would be very short.

6. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    Yes, you can.

Years ago, I bought rubber X brandbullets. I shot with regular primers. the bullets were reusable. So I would shoot them into a cardboard box target and recover them.

7. You want them to take up most of the air space in the case, which the powder usually does. There are plenty of people who just cut their own out of a pan of paraffin this way. You can also get a 9mm bullet mold and make hot glue bullets with it. This is more time consuming, but you can usually get these rounds to hand cycle in even stubborn pistols. Plus, they are reusable- just have a loose cotton tarp or piece of carpet as a backstop, and then collect them off the floor when you're done.

8. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    They must be a real pain to shoot out of a 9mm autoloading handgun, cycling the action for each shot and hoping that they will feed and chamber well. I think that wax bullets are a revolver function.

9. jlbeasley1976

jlbeasley1976 Southern BTGOG

Jul 12, 2012
    South Georgia
    Where are you finding primers so plentiful as to waste them on wax loads?
    I kid. I've shot hundreds of wax rounds out of my semi 9 and 45. But really...where are you finding primers?

10. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I will be looking soon also.

11. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

Jan 11, 2011
    too close to philly
    my ada used to do that. a uberti in 45 long colt practicing speed draw for s.a.s.s. shooting.

said no powder load at all and magnum primers or shotgun primers worked like a charm.

12. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    What is ada?

13. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

Jan 11, 2011
    too close to philly
    sorry. meant dad. forgot to proofread.

14. Just like finding ammo, I found a site that had just got some stock and bought several thousand. I do not reload, so this is all for wax shooting.

I'm using magnum large pistol primers, which helped.

15. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    That was easy. I should have figured it out. :upeyes: