close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Shooting deer in the neck

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by EL COLONEL, Oct 29, 2011.

1. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL

Feb 1, 2006
    S.A. TEXAS
    Where on the neck do u shoot deer ? High , low , middle or where ever ? Thanx

2. bnkrtstk

bnkrtstk

Aug 6, 2008
    Here is where my daughter put the shot on her first deer. He was DRT 100yds away.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

3. barstoolguru

barstoolguru texas proud

Jan 10, 2011
    dallas, tx
    You don't unless you want to chase them down. Take a shoulder shot and brake the shoulder and lungs. A missed place shot will injure a deer just to run off and die in the woods<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

4. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002

Congrats to your daughter on the shot.

In your pic, which is a great answer to the OP's question, any where between that hole, and on up the neck several inches is the sweet spot. Then OP, you must consider a frontal neck shot as well, if the chest area was not exposed. The white patch in the front makes for a good target dead center, 'IF you cannot get one to the chest for some reason', just be careful there....

Good pic amigo.

CM

5. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

May 15, 2011
    Alaska
    A shot through the shoulder will ruin a lot of meat. Shoot it in the neck if you can. A lung shot is the next best thing. A few ribs back from the shoulder blade. The neck has always been my preferred shot on all big game. They don't go ANYWHERE. And they bleed out nice.

6. The best shot is right where you hand is at.

It got the job done right ? and in your own words ... DRT :wavey:

I'll let the other MQB the need for neck shooting a deer. There's a whole list or why todo and why not todo it.

7. sourdough44

sourdough44

Jul 23, 2007
    WI
    I'd just be sure at whatever range you shoot you can put that bullet right where it needs to go. You have more leeway with the traditional shoulder/heart/lung shot. I took a black bear this Fall with a neck shot. It was very steady at 25 yards, he went nowhere but right down. I was using my 284win.

Years back I was with a buddy after he shot a deer. I went over to have a look. I said nice shot when I saw the hit centered in the neck. He said, 'yeah, but I was aiming for the shoulder'. As I remember the shot it was off-hand at 70 yards or so.

A few years ago I decided to burn an anterless tag. When I had an ideal 10-12 yard shot at the top of a hill I took it, near the base of the ear. Would I do that under average field conditions at 75-100 yards, no.

8. I've neck shot a lot of deer over the years. Only 3 of them took more then a step.

First one was low and took out the throat and jugular veins. He ran over a hundred yards but left a very easy blood trail in the snow.

Second one was high and barely clipped the for on the top of his neck. He ran towards me, I put a round through his chest he kept coming past me at a slow walk and I put one more through his neck as he walked under my stand.

Third one was with a muzzle loader, again hit high and barely clipped the fur on his neck. He would have survived just fine but he ran past my son who put him down with a chest shot.

The two time that the neck shot went high the free would have survived just fine if they had not run into another bullet

9. RRTX11

RRTX11

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Texas
    My average shot is between 100 and 250 yards. On hogs I take head shots right in the ear hole unless I am trying to get two hogs with one shot. Then I do a double lung shot on both. For deer I always take a double lung shot about 6 inches behind the front shoulder. I have not had a deer go more than a step with that shot. I used to shoot nothing but shoulder shots until I started processing my own deer and making my own sausage. Nothing like spending hours digging shoulder bone splinters out of your meat.