close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Shooting competition questions

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Sinister, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Sinister

Sinister Elite Member

Jun 28, 2006
    Pittsburgh
    Hello,

Can anyone point me in the direction on how to get involved in shooting competitions (pistol)?

I live in Pittsburgh and can't seem to find much info.

Thanks

2. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Aug 20, 2002
    Virginia
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    How come it says your location is Florida under your name?

Anyhow, try this -

PMSC IDPA at 505 Mosside Boulevard [Rt. 48] North Versailles, PA 15137

Looks to be just outside the city.

Read up a little on IDPA rules and go shoot.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  4. davsco

davsco

Feb 27, 2011
    go to idpa and uspsa websites and search for matches in your area. also just google idpa and uspsa.

unfortunately these things are pretty spread out. i drive within a 3 hour radius of northern virginia to hit as many of these as i can.

look on youtube and again search idpa and uspsa to get a feel for the courses of fire. most of the matches i have been to are very beginner-friendly. just need a handgun, 2-4 mags, at least a double mag pouch, and of course a holster. when you show up, your gun should be totally empty, mag out, and bagged and leave it that way until you check in, let them know you're the new guy, and they will walk you thru all the safety and operational issues. try it, you will have fun and be hooked!

5. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    Davsco gives good advice. Every club I've shot at has been very good about mentoring first timers.

6. JimM_PA

JimM_PA

Sep 26, 2001
    PA
  7. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    You could sign up for and attend one of the Small Arms firing schools put on by the Army's Marksmanship Unit. It would give you an introductory jump into Bullseye shooting. They do them ever Summer at Camp Perry in Ohio.

8. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

Nov 14, 2010
    RFD NY Adks
    My local rod &gun club has weekly IDPA practice. It's not the pressure of a match, but that little clock gives just enough stress to make it a challenge AND a learning experience every time.

9. Sinister

Sinister Elite Member

Jun 28, 2006
    Pittsburgh
    Thank you, for the responses. Sorry for the delayed response, I had an old email account linked to the site and was unaware of the responses.

I am originally from Pittsburgh, I moved to Florida and ended up in a Police academy. When I completed the academy, I moved back home to Pittsburgh.

I am familiar with handguns and was properly trained while I was at the academy. We did some practical shooting exercises along with having to qualify and pass the weapons training. But, this will be my first time in a competition.

It looks like I will need to get accustomed with traveling. After some research, I did find a gun club (McDonald SportsmenÂ’s Club) about 5 miles from my house that participates in USPSA. I am going to head down there at some point and check out the club.

Any particular brand I should be looking at for a belt / holster / Magazine holders or is it personal preference?

I will be shooting a Glock 22, the only modifications done are night sights and a ghost trigger (3.5# i think). Will this be legal? I also have 2x 10 round & 2x 15 round magazines.

Thanks again.

10. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Jun 25, 2004
    Texas
    Google each orginzation, some you'll find club locators, others a schedule.
    USPSA
    Steel Challenge
    GSSF
    IDPA
    Ruger Rimfire

I'd say by far GSSF and Steel Challenge will be easiest to get into since there is no movement or reloads on the clock. After you get a feel for it you can branch out.

11. dvrdwn72

dvrdwn72

Nov 26, 2010
    Find a local gun range, see if they have any kind of shooting sports. idpa,uspsa,etc,,, Thats how I made my start. Then the more people you meet youll find more ranges with more activities.

12. 4Rules

4Rules

Mar 11, 2012