Shooting 1 handed

Discussion in 'The Snubbie Club' started by HotRoderX, Apr 12, 2011.

1. HotRoderX

Expand Collapse
    Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    So I have noticed over my past 2 range trips shooting single handed with a Smith and Wesson J-Frame is a lot of fun. I found it to be easier to shoot. The only draw back I have found so far is muzzle jump can make a follow up shot kinda had.

I was kinda wondering how many of you guys prefer single hand over 2 handed grip on a snubby.
  2. SuperSleuth

Expand Collapse

Feb 27, 2010
    I tend to prefer single-handed shooting with my guns at close range, mostly point-shooting inside 8' or so. My 642 is particularly good with point shooting; bullets generally go where I want them to go when shooting from the hip (think Jelly Bryce style). From about 8' to 15' I've been shooting primarily one-handed where I bring the gun up just under my line of sight so I can get a rough alignment with my focus on the target (think Fairbairn/Sykes style). Past 15' I usually use two-handed shooting with more reliance on the sights, even if it's just a flash sight picture.

FYI, these are not hard-and-fast distance/technique combos; the distances are more like the transition points that seem to work for me so far (still working out the best methods).

I don't seem to notice felt recoil as much when shooting from the hip as I do when in a two-handed hold using the sights. I think it may be a combination of focusing on the target and the biomechanics of my bent arm acting as a shock absorber.

3. MLittle

Expand Collapse

Jun 24, 2010
    I have 3 ruger revolvers, a LCR (38spl), SP-101 (357mag) and GP-100. I shoot a revolver each week.....usually 100 rounds. I always shoot 50 rounds two handed and the other box I shoot one handed.....first with my weak hand, then strong hand. I find that shooting revolvers on a regular basis has helped me greatly on my trigger control shooting semiautos. My theory is that if you can shoot a revolver can shoot most any auto well.