close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Shirt Stays Trick?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by lsmountainman, Jan 18, 2012.

1. I am using the foot loop style of shirt garters and I really like them. However, the clips that attach to the shirt are a pain in the neck. Is there any trick to make them stay looped over the shirt material? They usually don't move on me once I have been in the shirt for a couple hours but they will pop off when I put them on a new shirt or periodically if I put my hand in my pocket and knock them off. Any tricks for keeping them within the metal clip?

2. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Long shirt tales are my preference, and trousers made with the little rubber lining attached helps me out.

3. merlynusn

merlynusn

Nov 16, 2007
    NC
    The important thing to remember. When the shirt stay pops off, it pops off down and not up like the normal ones that clip to your sock.

4. rookie1

rookie1

Mar 3, 2009
    Iowa
    Not real familiar with these and this might be way off but, what about sewing a couple button holes into the back of your shirt and clipping it on there so it has something to grab onto and not slide off. One of our officers did that for the cable for his listen only mic wire which gave it a place to come out above the belt and connect to the radio. I was looking at getting some. I am tired of my shirt pulling down and constantly pulling on my neck.

5. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    I did exactly this (had buttons sewn on) with my old uniforms. I removed the rubber piece from the shirt stay so that all I had left was the metal bracket. You hang the little metal bracket over the button and you're good to go. Never comes undone, always in the right place, easy to remove, etc. I haven't gotten around to having them put on my new uniforms yet.

My other suggestion would be using a nickel or quarter (depending on your shirt stays). Use the coin to push shirt fabric through the metal bracket on the shirt stay, turn 90 degrees, and let it hang. Also very unlikely to come undone.

6. GumbyDammit

GumbyDammit Xtra CoCheese

I safety pin mine to keep them on, but it's a pain in the butt to put them on every time I get dressed. The button hole idea sounds like a good one.

7. I just tried a nickel, penny and dime. I think the nickel is the way to go...

8. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Rather than a button hole, try an actual button. Easier to install and more secure.

9. Mattz

Mattz

Nov 16, 2005
    Just go to a tailor and show them where you hook the shirt stays on your shirt and they'll tailor some holes. Won't pop off again. :)

10. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    Mine rarely give me problems, but this is a good idea.

11. GumbyDammit

GumbyDammit Xtra CoCheese

Doing this.

:thumbsup:

12. x_out86

x_out86

Feb 19, 2007
    Wisconsin
  13. ray9898

ray9898

May 29, 2001
    Georgia
    I agree with the above....just sew on a button with some heavy thread.

14. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Mine never had a problem staying on the shirt... but maybe it also has to do with the shirt?

My shirts are either all wool or heavy gauge wool/poly blend. I did notice that some of my earlier, cheaper, lighter all poly or poly/cotton shirts had problems with the stays popping off.

The rubber nubby belt doesn't work for me. The belt tends to ride up randomly and exposes itself above the waistline, looking like crap. I have one if anyone wants it. I tried it once and never used it again.

The other trick that I have used and seen others use, is to just wear boxer briefs which have a very thick and strong waistband, compared to the loosey elastic strip of a regular pair of boxers, and then tuck the shirt inside the waistband of the undershorts. When I do that, I never had a problem with the shirt untucking itself.

15. packsaddle

packsaddle

Jan 15, 2009
    pics or it didn't happen.

:aodnsb:

16. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Can't do that since I don't wear underwear anymore.:whistling:

17. kpuscg04

kpuscg04 ACTA NON VERBA

Mar 20, 2005
    Texas
    Nothing like a parted shirt stay on a cold Long Island morning.... Memories.