close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Shipping a gun to CA?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by jknight8907, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Are there any circumstances in which a gun sold to a person in California does NOT have to be shipped to a California FFL? I'm selling a subcompact lower here and a member wanted to buy it, but did not want it shipped to an FFL. He told me FFL's were for 'civilians' and that he had Department of Justice papers that he would email me which allowed him to receive guns directly. This is what the letters (4 of them, each for a different gun) say:

That's from the Bureau of Firearms.

I told him that looked like a simple acknowledgement for the standard registration every person with a pistol in CA does, and that the lower had to go to an FFL. He got pissed at me and told me "I give up!!!"

Am I wrong here?

2. WASR10

WASR10

Oct 9, 2011
    California
    It sounds to me like you made the right move. Knida fishy... You can go to calguns dot net and ask the legal experts there if you want to be sure.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012

3. The Habit

The Habit كافر

Feb 18, 2005
    Virginia
    I think you played it correctly. I certainly wouldn't have risked it. Of course, a call to BATFE probably would have cleared it up pretty quickly. Out of curiosity, I'd call them anyway and forward them the emails (with his personal information removed) just to see what is what.

4. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Yep, sounds like you made the right call. If the part you were selling bears a serial number, Im pretty darn sure it MUST go to an FFL under federal law.

5. CrookCounty

CrookCounty Trolling Noob

NO you are 100% in the Green Zone man...don't ever make exceptions for people...ALWASY ship to a FFL to be safe. Remember ANY document can be made up.

6. CrookCounty

CrookCounty Trolling Noob

Shipping firearms

Firearms may not be mailed or shipped interstate from one non-FFL to another non-FFL but may be shipped intrastate. Personally owned rifles and shotguns may be mailed or shipped to an FFL in any state for any lawful purpose, including sale, repair, or customizing. An FFL may ship a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received. Under U.S. Postal regulations, handguns may be sent via the Postal Service only from one FFL to another FFL, or between authorized government officials.

A person may ship a rifle or shotgun to himself, in care of a person who lives in another state, for purposes of hunting.

Firearms delivered to a common carrier for shipment must be accompanied by a written declaration to the carrier of the contents of the shipment, if mailing to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors. Notice to the carrier is not required when shipping to one of the licensed entities aforementioned. Letter from ATF summarizing shipping responsibilities under the law: Media:BATFE shipping letter.jpg

7. 427

Nov 23, 2009
    KUMSC
    Don't do business with this person. What he's asking you to do is illegal.

8. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    The only exception I can think of is weapons being shipped to a police officer but it must be shipped to a department address and they must supply letterhead from their chief. There is a bunch of paperwork that must go along with it. I can't think of anyone who has done it at my PD in the 14 years I have been in the business. Essentially the department is acting like an FFL. For all I know they could have closed this loophole.

9. emopunker2004

emopunker2004 Da Jaila'

Apr 17, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
  10. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

Oct 20, 1999
    Maine USA
    It's not only firearms.
    I had a guy asking me if I would take some 13 round magazines apart and ship them as "spare parts" to CA.
    Needless to say, I didn't.

11. acaligunner

acaligunner

Aug 20, 2011
    Ca
    This is perfectly legal if he owned Hi-Capacity mags before 2000.
    There are a lot of CA gun owners that own hi capacity mags and
    Need Re-build kits.

Once again perfectly legal if they are rebuilding a old/or damaged
    Hi cap mag.

We can own 'parts' for whatever old mags.

12. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Nov 17, 2006
    God's Country (Texas)
    Fishy! Agree that you should avoid him like the plague.

13. igorts

igorts

Apr 18, 2006
    CA
    lower receiver with serial must be shipped to FFL.
    disassembled mag is ok to ship as repair kit IF the person legally possesses original hi-cap bought before 2000 or as LEO. but since it's a hole in regulations, last part often skipped. some even charge a buck or 2 for disassembly

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  14. MarcDW

Oct 20, 1999
    Maine USA
    Repair kit does not include a brand new magazine 4 gen G21 magazine with all parts.

15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    My best guess is, you are right and the person who wants the lower is a criminal trying to scam you into becoming the same. If I were you, I report the scam the member attempted to at least the Glock Talk mods (although, technically, it's a the attempt alone could get him prison time if reported to law enforcement).

California has no power to override federal law, even if they tried. Federal law requires the sale to go through an FFL in the buyer's state.
    If a person had tried to convince me to commit a crime that could send me to prison and end my right to own a gun, I would not remove his personal information.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  16. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

Nov 19, 2010
    SC
    As others have stated, this sounds shady as hell to me. I ONLY ship to an FFL PERIOD, no matter what state the firearm is going to.

17. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Jun 15, 2011
    Texas

Call the BATFE and let them know his user name on this board, and what he's trying to do. That should give him more important things to worry about beside a lower being shipped to him illegally. :supergrin:

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I'd be interested in his explanation for why he tried this, since he seems to claim to be pretty knowedgeable in his posts. Seems like he needs to not be a member any more if he is using GT to commit crimes.

19. MarcDW

Oct 20, 1999
    Maine USA
    Before we start a lynch mob, I do would like to hear his side. :dunno:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.